Debate on Shawn Springs and Champ Bailey by Redskins4Life

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:44 am

And I dont know how good D'angelo Hall, one of the top CB's in this upcoming draft, is going to be in his first year. Hes fast as hell and obviously extremely athletic (no David Terrell) but I saw him get beat a few times, and I watched VT alot, you guys ever saw the VT-West Virginia game? It will probably take him a year or two to become a solid corner.

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:22 am

I cant believe I forgot to mention my main man from the most prestigeous school in all the land, The Ohio State Universities Chris Gamble (Im a recent transfer so give me a break). Hes pretty comparable to D'Angelo Hall but not as fast (but of course no one is) and played in the Big Ten (best college football conference). I hope it only comes down to drafting a CB if Matt Millen takes Champ Bailey while hes franchised. God it must be horrible to be a Lions fan, man we only had to deal with 10 years of poor coaching, mismanagement, and crappy play, the Lions have dealt with it for how long? Oh yeah, forever, I guess it was the 50's when they won their one and only championship. I reluctanly agree that perhaps its not wise to spend an exhorbant amount of money on a "Shut Down" CB, if that is what Champ still is. Obviously the most important pass defence is a good pass rush, just look at the Panthers good solid CBs who are not too high profiled and dont demand 6mill+ per year contract- Terry Cousins and Reggie Howard who manage to do well against great recievers (you see the St. Louis Game? I mean it was their rookie CB Manning who made the game winning interception) because they have an amazing D-line who always manages to get pressure on the CB. So if we need to sacrifice Bailey to get lets say a Jevon Kearse then I say do it. But as I mentioned before the most Ideal situation would be to franchise Bailey and have Millen sign him (I read somewhere Champ is intrigued to play with his brother boss bailey). But what ever happens Im confident that Gibbs will take us to the Superbowl next year with any CB, except for Terrell Davis the worst player ever!!! Oh and lets put it in this perspective is Champ as good as the Holy #28? Hell No!!!!!!!!!!! :?

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:27 am

Years prior to George Allen are irrelavent since I, the center of the world, did not even exist until Joe Gibbs was coach.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:45 am

I don't think the Lions are that far off...If they get Champ that would give them Champ and Dre Bly are you kidding me...easily the best CB tadem in Football. They have a good coach, great young players in Harrington,Rogers,Bailey.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:43 am

I disagree, I feel the lions are pretty far off, warranted they beat they beat the Rams at the end of the Season but Mike Martz is a terribe coach (If the rams had a quality coach say like a Marruci then they would have won a superbowl already, because their talent is insane), getting simply another CB wont solve their woes, they need some offensive line men (particularly at the gaurd position), a TE, some safties, a couple of pass rushers, a RB, another WR (and nobody knows if Charles Rogers is going to be great or not because he got injured so early in the season) and perhaps a veteran QB if Harrington doesnt pan out (hes had a few horrible games). Their constant mismanagement will prevent them from ever making progress, remember a coach named Bobby Ross a man who took the Chargers to the superbowl? I mean he had Barry Sanders yet he still couldnt do *sh$t* (remember beating them in playoffs in our lone playoff appearance in a decade?), their best chance is to strip all power from Millen and give it to Marruci, who I agree is a good coach. I did watch this team barley beat the Packers, who were playing a horrible game, but I also watched them get their asses absolutley kicked against a ,what I consider, a mediocre Seahawk team. But who really cares, their a irrelevant team who have a history of getting their asses kicked in the playoffs by the Skins, their a crappy team that plays in a crappy city.

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:45 am

oh and Dre Bly does have a knack for interceptions but hes not what I consider a "shut down" CB, due to his propensity for getting beaten a bunch

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:54 am

I'm not a big fan of the GM/HC combo...I don't think the Lions are going to be in the SB anytime soon by saying not that far off I just mean their headed in a better direction then the past few years...hard to recover from your star leaving unexpectedly. That coupled with the fact that the division is weak and getting weaker with Brett considering retirement. It wouldn't surprise my to see them in the playoffs soon, of course these days in the NFL nothing surprises me anymore. Your right in the fact that they have some pressing needs. Bly is solid not great, but if you put Champ on the other side he get's a little better.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Redskins4Life

Postby Redskins4Life » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:32 pm

Isn't McAllister a restricted free agent though? We'd lose the draft pick we would pick up for Bailey?

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:08 pm

Im sorry for my immense response to the lions but Im in college and have a lot of free time, I agree GM/HC isnt a great idea but isnt that what Joe Gibbs essentially is? Yet Joe Gibbs is a special case becuase hes a special coach and a special man so I believe in this rare occasion that It can work. Some GM/HC are idiots, I mean how did some coaches recieve GM title anyway? For Example, Dave Wannstedt talk about a mediocre coach who in the first place did not even deserve to coach the Dolphins after his disappointing tenure with the Bears, yet not only did he recieve the head coaching job but he also had final say on personel, god what a dumb owner. Mike Holgrem is another bad talent evaluator who lost his GM status, Shannahan is a good coach but Im not sold on his ability to draft talent just look at some of the drafts he had were he used all his 1 round picks on CB's, and what did he get, he got Delta Oneal a horrible CB but decent special team player.

And Mcallister is a Unristricted Free Agent, but he has said that he definatly wants to return to the Ravens

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football