Monk Makes First Cut

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

Monk Makes First Cut

Postby BossHog » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:58 pm

I just saw this at ESPN, but it wasn't there when I was there earlier, so I figured I'd run back with the good news...

Two candidates, tackle Bob Brown and wide receiver Bob Hayes, were recommended by the Hall's senior committee. Other finalists: wide receiver Art Monk; defensive ends Richard Dent, Carl Eller, and Jim Marshall; guard Bob Kuechenberg; safety Cliff Harris; cornerback Lester Hayes; tackles Rayfield Wright and Gary Zimmerman.

Click here for the rest of the story.

So he's made it to the next step...

:celebrate:
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:37 pm

I just hope he REALLY gets in this time. He deserves it. I don't understand why people pass him up.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:42 pm

I agree, but how could richard dent be not in the hall
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:06 pm

kkryan wrote:how could richard dent be not in the hall

Same way Art Monk managed it... BS.

I'm not even going to speak on the Monk issue, 'cause I just get so angry...

The guy was the all time leading receiver when he retired... the guy was the first receiver to catch 100 passes in a season... what sexier stats do they need?

How about super bowls?

How about a legion of loving fans long after he's left the game?

How about the fact that the term possession receiver was built around Art Monk?

The only knock on the guy is that he wasn't always a #1 prototype guy and guys like Gary Clark would out 'shine' him. Well duh... you're speaking to the very thing that made Art Monk so worthy of induction... his team spirit. He always did what was best for the team, kept his mouth shut, and all he managed to do was retire with more receptions than anyone had ever got (to that point)...

Bahhh... like I said... I don't even wanna start....
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:13 pm

Monk ws the epitome of what it means to be a Redskin. Like gibbs, he did everything with class. one reason why he's not in the HOF could be because he wasn't very open with the press- he's an extremely shy guy. Maybe bad blood developed to some extent?
Gibbs is God

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:23 pm

Bad blood my @$$... my father still sees him at the grocery store in Great Falls, VA and says he's always very pleasant and nice... of course, most of the kids have no idea who is he now. I remember seeing him at Blockbuster when I was younger and just staring in awe... I bet any of the Washington sportswriters (Wilbon, Kornheiser, etc.) would vote him in in a second if they had a vote (do either of them have that vote?).

He embodies what it means to be a Redskin. He is the polar opposite of what athletes represent these days... he deserves to get in based on character alone but his stats are overwhelming evidence enough that he deserves induction. It would be such a fitting extra to this off-season if he gets the nod!
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:35 pm

easyt, buddy, you're preaching to the choir. I know he's a generous, gracious person, but could his desire to keep his life private (which is his God-given right), hurt his relationship with the press?

I think he'll get in this year. What's the minimum amount of time of inactivity required for an appearance on the ballot?
Gibbs is God

bigmatt007

monk to the hall

Postby bigmatt007 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:50 pm

monk should have went in before james lofton in my book

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:53 pm

I despise these post-career pissing matches sports writers get into with players who they felt were less than giddy about doing interviews. It is beyond unprofessional to allow that kind of thing to keep Monk out of the Hall. As a non-D.C. sports columnist (who's name I forget) said last year: If they aren't going to put Monk in the Hall of Fame, they should rip it down and put a Wendy's there.
The voters for the Hall are expected to be the type of experts who can look at Monk's career and see that he did the kind of things that don't show up on a stat sheet, namely blocking. These people constantly bemoan the dearth of unselfish players in the NFL, and professional sports in general, and then snub a player who was the very embodiment of that ideal. A pox on all who don't vote for Monk.

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:02 pm

I'm not the most knowledgable about Monk's (my hero, by the way) struggle to be inducted, so what's been said besides the relationship with the press that's keeping him out? They won't keep him out because he didn't grant a post-game interview after every game. He'll get in. It's five or six years out of football for eligibility, right?
Gibbs is God

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:05 pm

I think everybody is real clear on where I stand with all this. I agree with everything above. I can see where HOF voters might be "getting back at" an athlete who was less than available during their career. (See Mattingly v. Puckett in Cooperstown. Sullen is out, big happy grin guy is in. Numbers are very comparable.)
Well, that's just crap. In a perfect world, you hold people to a certain standard. If they meet or exceed it, you reward them.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:09 pm

It can't possibly be his career numbers. He's No. 5 all-time in receptions and No. 6 isn't even close, putting Monk in an elite group. And keep in mind he had 100 catches prior to the rule changes for cornerbacks. He's also in the top 20 in receiving yards, a feet made all the more impressive when you consider he was not asked to be a down the field receiver.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:10 pm

By the way, Dr. Z picked the Bills all 4 times they lost in the Super Bowl. Moron.

swine

Postby whomp-em » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:59 pm

yeah, the whole "Monk wasn't quite good enough" thing is getting old. and i'm getting tired of the knock about him not performing in super bowls. he helped the 'skins get to 4 of them which is more than i can say for a lot of receivers in the hall...

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:07 pm

I think we should mention something here, in case you didn't go to the article linked by BossHog. There are generally no more than 5-7 inductees. Elway and Barry Sanders are in this class of finalists. That leaves no more than 5 spots.
Monk's chances are thus reduced by two. The voters can also choose less than 5-7. It's in the hands of the naysayers like Zimmerman, once again.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football