Bruuuce a coach???

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Bruuuce a coach???

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm

Comcast Sports Net showed Gibbs arriving at Redskins Park today and he was greeted by McCants, Trotter, Ramsey, and BRUCE SMITH? Yup, Bruce was there. CSN also noted that Bruce may want to be a coach soon. Hey Bruce, don't think you're replacing Robert Nunn. We don't want you back. Hey, tell Mike Mularky to fire Krumrie so you can be the Bills new d0line coach and Krumrie can come here. PERFECT SCENARIO! :D
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:56 pm

Hmmm. This is kind of interesting to me.
You have to understand something first. I don't mean to be defending any Prima Donnas. I didn't follow Bruce Smith in Buffalo. For all I know, he may be the guy that hid Thomas' helmet. Let me just play Devil's Advocate here for a minute. What if Bruce Smith was right in going to Snyder this year, complaining about his playing time ? What if he saw something happening there with Spurrier not letting Edwards put him in the game when he was ready to go ? What if this was just another of Spurrier's mistakes ?
I don't know. He had some outstanding moves, way back when. Maybe he could be an assistant to the Assistant's assistant's secretary, to start out. Anyway, he commanded the attention of the other D-Linemen, and he was a damned good end, in his day. Maybe he COULD coach.
I don't think I could blame anyone on the last three or four Redskin teams for not bleeding Burgundy and Gold. There hasn't exactly been a traditional Redskins team out there; always some new guy trying to make this team into something it could never be; First, the Cowboys. Then, the Chiefs. Then, The Gators.
With Gibbs back, we can go back to being ourselves. Maybe Smith could be a part of that. Then again, maybe somebody will hire Levy, and Bruce could go there.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Joe's#1Fan

no thanks bruce

Postby gibbsfan » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:14 pm

thanks but no thanks bruce
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:17 pm

Why, though, Gibbsfan ? (And I really like your screen name, friend.) Why not have an experienced DE around as an assistant ?

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:39 pm

TC- I would agree with you here. I will give credit where credit is due with Smith. Although his production obviously dropped off as of the last few seasons but at one time, he was THE MAN in the NFL. While that doesnt guarantee that it would translate into his being a good coach, it would be hard to argue that he has alot to offer in terms of experience.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:45 pm

I'm sure the same was said about Russ, and about Herm Edwards, Mike Ditka, Dan Reeves and every other coach who translated success on the playing field to success on the chalkboard. Wouldn't it be neat if we were the ones that gave him the chance, if he's worthy ? I'm not a good judge of that, because I never saw Bruce as a Redskin. I always saw him as the DE, cradling his head in his hands on the bench as the Redskins sent his Bills to another off-season of doubt and "What If's " in 1992.
Still, his experience cannot be denied. 74 years in the NFL must be good for something ! :D

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:02 pm

I say make him "Assistant to the Traveling Secretary" a la George Costanza.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:18 pm

We can not bring back Bruce b/c it will give off the wrong message. And if we bring back Peppi Zellner, there will most likely be another war of words b/t the two.

Also, when Bruce went to Snyder after the Dolphins game, Mark Maske said in his chat that Snyder seemed to be really peaved and stormed off from his conversation with Bruce. So maybe Bruce was in the wrong in that one.

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:19 pm

I also think that he would be the best fit in Buffalo. I think that he will wait for us to cut him. Then he should sign a one day contract with the Bills like thurman and andre reed did. Then he should be hired as their d-line coach. It would give Bills fans something to cheer about.

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:47 pm

Jake, this is my 100th (and 'Avatar Qualifying') post, and I looked around for a post to respond to. It's yours, and I hope you feel properly honored. :lol:
First of all, those one day contracts annoy me. They're meaningless, token signings to signify that a certain player ended his career as a member of (insert team name here). Leslie Shepard signed one with us, didn't he ? So did Monk, after learning that there wasn't a chance he'd make it to the roster. At least he called it what it was, a "token signing". It's true, as you write, that Bruce most appropriately belongs in Buffalo, even though they disrespected him the way our "team" (it was coming apart by then, when Turner came in) disrespected Monk. I think that goes to the very root of my problem with unloading Bruce. Hasn't he announced his retirement, anyway ? Later, dude !
Besides his history with Dallas, what exactly is the problem with Zellner ? This isn't sarcasm; I honestly don't know. He seemed able-bodied and active to me, but I was drinking Coors every time I saw him play. What did you see that wasn't good ?
Why wouldn't Snyder be mad ? He thought that he'd solved these problems. Initially, the reports were that Bruce said the owner agreed with him, although there was some spin control thereafter that said the owner was ambivalent, at best. What did Maske see that nobody else did ?
I would hope that if Brandon Noble comes back, he is forgiven his past with Dallas.
Knowing Gibbs though, and knowing my own heart, he will not.
Screw Dallas, Screw Buffalo. Screw 'em all.
Go Redskins !

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:06 pm

I agree with the one day contracts. It shows in a small way that you still care about the fracnhise and the fans. And yes, Leslie Shepherd did do that with us in 2002.

Here is what the thing about Bruce vs. Peppi is about:

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:17 pm

I gotta vote NO for Bruce as well. He may be a great coach someday, but I think he'd be better off returning to coach in Buffalo. Here he is strictly remembered in the players and fans eyes as a premadonna who wanted his 99th sack more than he wanted the team to win.

But I wish him the best of luck somewhere else.

Hog

Postby tx_skins_fan » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:09 pm

If we're going to bring in an old player to coach our d-line, somebody call Dave Butz.
oops....sorry!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:31 am

The Times said that Smith an Darrell Green may become asssisstant coaches with us. :x

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:58 am

I would really love to see DG roaming the sidelines in burgundy and gold again. I think he would be an awesome assett to continue Champ and Smooooooot's development, not to mention any other d-backs that come in. As for Bruce, I'm just not sure he has the right kind of personality to be a good coach. I guess it's hard to even mention DG and Bruce in the same sentence since their personalities and attitudes towards the Redskins, and the game in general, seem so different. Then again, I don't know nearly as much about Bruce as I do about DG
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football