Another year, another defensive coordinator...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Another year, another defensive coordinator...

Postby psummersjr » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:26 pm

How many DC's have Champ and Lavar had since they went pro? Too many. Is Williams good enough to get the most out these two, who are two of the best defensive players in the NFL. Will his style take more advantage of Lavar's talent? Will the defense come together faster than it has in the past, if at all?

I don't know much about Williams or his defenses but I know we have a lot of potential on that side of the ball that is yet to truly blossom, although it was close under Lewis.
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

Postby Wilson » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:46 pm

I think Gibbs' influence is really the key. Williams is a good defensive coach but Gibbs will turn this team around on both sides of the ball.

ps Hey Popey! Me ---> :thump: <--- You

~~~~~~~~

Williams will get it done!

Postby ii7-V7 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:52 pm

There is no doubt that the past few years have brought a great deal of turnover, and therefore, inconsistency. However, I have no dout that we will get at least a few years of consistency out of the Gibbs staff. Even when Joe decides to retire again, he will be grooming someone from within the organization to take over. Short of Danny Snyder screwing this great thing up, I think we'll see a very consistent coaching staff for at least the next three to five years.

As for Gregg Williams, I don't know if he can turn things around overnight, but he can certainly turn them around. Look at what he did at Tennessee. Look at what he did in Buffalo this year. Just those two years alone he has had a number 1 and number 2 ranked defense. I trust that he will be able to take care of business.

Chad Dukes

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:17 pm

Chadduke writes:
As for Gregg Williams, I don't know if he can turn things around overnight, but he can certainly turn them around.

Williams is a tremendous improvement at D.C. than who we had last year. On top of that, of course, is the Gibbs influence.

Yes, the defense is in another transitional year; however, this is going to be a BIG transition for the better, I think.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Joe's#1Fan

gibbs will turn around the whole attitude

Postby gibbsfan » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:31 pm

Wilson wrote:I think Gibbs' influence is really the key. Williams is a good defensive coach but Gibbs will turn this team around on both sides of the ball.

ps Hey Popey! Me ---> :thump: <--- You

yes he just has that knack for getting everybody focused as a team-and as a team should be focused. but greg williams as long as he builds the trust within his players and staff but again joe will get everyone involv 8) ed.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Postby Keep Choppin' Wood » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:49 pm

Some numbers to chew over:

Year Def. Coordinator Def. Rank
---- ---------------- ---------
1997 Nolan 16
1998 Nolan 22
1999 Nolan 29
2000 Rhodes 4
2001 K. Schottenheimer 8
2002 Lewis 4
2003 Edwards 25

Instability at the coordinator position did not seem to hurt the Redskins in 2000 and 2002, when we had two of the best in the business - - and they gave us a top-rated defense in their first years. On the other hand, stability didn't help us much in the Mike Nolan era, which saw the defense get worse every year.

My opinion, for whatever it's worth - - even though our defensive coordinators have about the same life expectancy as the Hogwarts Defense Against Dark Arts teachers, this hasn't seemed to be the real problem. Instead, the team does well when it has a good coordinator, and badly when it has a bad one. Getting a different Lewis-Rhodes caliber coach every year is preferable to sticking with a mediocre coach long term.

In any case, I think we've got us a keeper in Williams. And luckily for us, his tenure at Buffalo was bad enough that I don't think anyone will be trying to hire him away as a head coach anytime soon (like they did with Marvin).

KCW

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:28 pm

Willliams is the real deal, this guy had Tenn rated # 1 when he was there...that's the reason he landed a HC job. Also I know it tough to beleive I have to keep reminded myself Buffalo D was rated # 2 this year. We have a great DC and you will see a much improved D next year!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

---------

Postby redskins56 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:08 pm

I don't know how Champ and Lavar have put up with it, but they have. Not only have they coped with a season by season turnover at defensvie coordinator, they have done so in flying colors, which they aren't given nearly enough credit for. In 5 season's, Bailey has been with 5 defensvie coordinators, and in 4 seasons LA Nation has been with 4 coordinators.

Imagine if they could get a coach, that implemented a system and stuck around for 3 or 4 years, allowing them to grow in it. Changing each season has to be a burden, one that Gregg WIlliams and Joe Gibbs' could definitely and will definitely avoid...

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:26 pm

Wow, those jumps from #29 to #4 and #4 to #25 are really shocking. That's huge!!

Do you think the reason for that big a jump is coaching, i.e. changing from Mike Nolan to Marvin Lewis? Or is it the change in players? Going from a year where we had a DT (2002) to this year where we did not?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

SKINS#1+

DC

Postby SKINS#1+ » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:40 am

Year Def. Coordinator Def. Rank
---- ---------------- ---------
1997 Nolan 16
1998 Nolan 22
1999 Nolan 29
2000 Rhodes 4
2001 K. Schottenheimer 8
2002 Lewis 4
2003 Edwards 25

This makes a good point. Parcell took 1 year to put together the #1 defense. The players need to stop whinning and focus on doing the work it takes to improve.

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:51 am

At the same time, I respect their concerns. Imagine if you had a new bozz every year and every year you had to figure out how he (or she, of course) did things. How they reacted to different things. What sort of expectations they have. Oh, and don't forget, you really only have 5 months to prove yourself to them. I think it would be really hard.

Hopefully, Williams will stick around for a while. I imagine he'll at least be here for the duration of Gibbs' contract. I really think we could have a Ravens 2000 caliber D within the next couple of years if we plug some of the holes we have now (ie pass rusher)
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:07 am

Keep in mind that Williams did that with a good defensive line and Kearse, but not as good a supporting cast as he will have this year. If he and Gibbs can build a good Dline with the LBs and CBs that we have, I expect that he will have a tremendous defense next year.
Rich in Roanoke

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:37 am

Expect the defence to be much improved. Williams is a great DC and with Gibbs as head coach the players will work hard to be better or they'll be gone.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football