In Gibbs we Trust??

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Diesel

In Gibbs we Trust??

Postby DEHog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:51 pm

I have sat back and read posts for the past few days and it got me to thinking…

Have we forgotten (myself included) how well this man can coach? Before we knew who are coach would be I think well over 75 % of the post were in favor of addressing the defensive side of the ball. The more I think about this, there are really only two areas that this team needed to address immediately. One is coaching, which we’ve done already and the other is defensive line.

Gibbs is inheriting a team that Parcells said has the best talent in the division He might as well of said SS sucks!! I just don’t see the need for Gibbs to run out and get a bunch of new players and I don’t think he will. He is under no pressure to win right now!! I really think he can take what’s here and add some help to the D-line and be fine going into next season. I think coaching alone will make a world of difference in helping this defense. He can then evaluate the talent and add as he sees fit. I’m not saying that we should ignore the free agent market, I just think we should go easy this year and see what Gibbs does with this group of guys. We have a little cap room, we can use to resign Champ and give to D-line some help via the draft or FA or both.

On the offensive side of the ball I’m fine with the group of backs we have, I think one will emerge as a front runner during camp and have a good year. O-line is strength and WR is good, yes I would like to see us keep McCants. TE, what happen to Royal?

Guess I just don’t see the need for a ton of major moves, we’ve already made the one that count the most
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:55 pm

I think you make an excellent point. However, I don't think it could hurt for The Savior and The Danny to keep the eyes open for some people to plug holes, however minor or major they may be. The key is to prioritize (I think that's my theme of the day)... and I have all the confidence in Gibbs that he's considered all of this and is already putting together an off-season plan that will carry us into the playoffs next year.
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:14 pm

DEHog so eloquently writes:
I really think he can take what’s here and add some help to the D-line and be fine going into next season.

Well, that's the best thing about having Gibbs at coach now, isn't it? The man has the knack for getting the best out of each player. I, therefore, agree that we don't need to go out and spend a ton of money to bring people in...and we all know Gibbs well get the best out of the (very good) players we already have.

Don't look now...but DEHog also said:
On the offensive side of the ball I’m fine with the group of backs we have, I think one will emerge as a front runner during camp and have a good year.

This scares me. I'm not satisfied with the group of backs we have. I think the best back we have in a Gibbs-type offense is Ladell Betts...but he had a lot of injuries last year (which scares me). I think we're gonna need to go out and get another RB for next year...but, please, not Dillon!!!
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

swine

Postby whomp-em » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:36 pm

I too think the Redskins have the best talent in the NFC East. Even with a suspect DLine. I mean, the OLine would've been murderous under Gibbs this year and aside from the RBs I'd say that everyone else has the potential to be a pro bowl player on offense. Defense too if you exclude the DLine. He'll shore up the DLine and take what we have already and possibly win the conference. I'm sorry, but Philly doesn't scare me as long as they have the same receivers. Dallas has a good coach now, but Hambrick and Carter aren't making anyone fearful either. And the Jints, well, they are just terrible. All that stood between the 'Skins and the NFC East crown this year was a lackadaisical coach who just didn't seem to care too much or motivate too much either.

Joe's#1Fan

Re: In Gibbs we Trust??

Postby gibbsfan » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:45 pm

DEHog wrote:I have sat back and read posts for the past few days and it got me to thinking…

Have we forgotten (myself included) how well this man can coach? Before we knew who are coach would be I think well over 75 % of the post were in favor of addressing the defensive side of the ball. The more I think about this, there are really only two areas that this team needed to address immediately. One is coaching, which we’ve done already and the other is defensive line.

Gibbs is inheriting a team that Parcells said has the best talent in the division He might as well of said SS sucks!! I just don’t see the need for Gibbs to run out and get a bunch of new players and I don’t think he will. He is under no pressure to win right now!! I really think he can take what’s here and add some help to the D-line and be fine going into next season. I think coaching alone will make a world of difference in helping this defense. He can then evaluate the talent and add as he sees fit. I’m not saying that we should ignore the free agent market, I just think we should go easy this year and see what Gibbs does with this group of guys. We have a little cap room, we can use to resign Champ and give to D-line some help via the draft or FA or both.

On the offensive side of the ball I’m fine with the group of backs we have, I think one will emerge as a front runner during camp and have a good year. O-line is strength and WR is good, yes I would like to see us keep McCants. TE, what happen to Royal?

Guess I just don’t see the need for a ton of major moves, we’ve already made the one that count the most

you put it right there real quick -the coaching needed bigtime help in everyway well that was more than filled with gibbs coming bacj and i would like to add one other thing joe has brought back stability ,from the front office part of too to help out but joe did mention -all i want to do is coach. :P
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

swine

Postby CrazyLikeAFox87 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:04 pm

I couldn't agree more. I've stated on some other threads that I believe we already have the talent bar D Line and maybe safety. The upgrade that was needed was coaching. We couldn't have done better.

I think we've been making the other teams look better than they actually are - save Philly maybe.

A couple of FAs and draft picks and we should at least make the playoffs, then who knows. With JG's playoff record....

Hog

Postby DESkins » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:28 pm

Maybe we made some teams look better, but think about this for a moment, just to make you appreciate how pitiful Spurnya was... Philthydelphia is about to play in the NFC Championship Game (and don't THAT just suck!), and they had to rely on us to lose the first meeting of the season by 2 points. The last game, I think pretty much everyone was of the opinion "Hey, I'm not going to get injured and risk my chance with another team", so they pretty much tanked it, except for the coach, who tanked the whole season. So, if we came that close when it could have counted, and the "Giggles" are supposed to be the class of the NFC East and possibly the entire NFC this season, doesn't that say something about how good we could have been with even AVERAGE coaching? I'm positively giddy with excitement about next season, and the thought of making Merrill Reese (Eagles radio @sshole, for you non-Philthy area residents) choke on a big ol' bird bone.
R.I.P. Andrew McDonough 9/3/92 - 7/14/07. Love & miss you, #20.

put AM in the HOF

Re: In Gibbs we Trust??

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:37 am

DEHog wrote:Gibbs is inheriting a team that Parcells said has the best talent in the division

I think maybe Parcells was just taking a page out of Joe's book, trying to shine up the opponent and get a rise out of his own team. Bill Parcells would never, ever say sincerely that another team had more talent than his own team did. It would be admitting that he, as an evaluator, had failed. Parcells, like Gibbs, abhors failure. Parcells, unlike Gibbs, was unable to succeed anywhere else but on the field.
Remember when he said, a few weeks back, that Gibbs was the best coach he'd ever faced ? He said the same thing about Belichek. The exact same thing. He's also made similar comments about Vermeil, Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka.
It's a game he plays. I live in New York, folks. This guy is ripping off Joe Gibbs by assuming a Joe Gibbs-like posture. I remember an exchange he had with Darrell Green in an interview before a game; Possibly with the Jets, more likely the Pats. Bill was all like, "Oh, I remember those Redskins were a real pain in the neck. Monk, Riggins, Green...", and there was some ensuing "hilarity" about how old Darrell was. He was trying to get in our CB's head. Showing some modicum of respect. Too bad Darrell is too sharp for that BS. Tuna trying to get into DG's head is akin to a toddler trying to build a working space shuttle out of Legos.
Two cents.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:39 am

Parcells said this prior to Gibbs coming back. Parcells made no big changes in Dallas last year. I really like what he did, he played the hand he had. Now a year later, he knows what his needs are, he has cap room to do it and he gave his team a taste of what the postseason is like. Gibbs has his work cut out, he's up for the challege. I'm so glad it's him and not SS or Roades or anybody else for that matter!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football