L.A. Contract blurb

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

L.A. Contract blurb

Postby BossHog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:36 pm

From a Sportsline article. i took a lot of grief from people when I said that L.A's contract was not as high as portrayed, but i digress..

Don't be fooled by all the hype about LaVar Arrington's new deal with the Redskins. The word was that it was an eight-year extension worth $85 million. On paper, that's the way it could be portrayed. But the reality is that it wasn't as beneficial to the player as the agents would make one think. What the Redskins did was essentially ask Arrington to lower his base salaries the next two seasons in exchange for bonus money to help lower his cap number. Arrington was to have a cap figure of $10.6 million this season with a base salary of $6.36 million. He will now have a cap figure of $5.6 million with a base of $450,000. It's a similar type slash in 2005. In exchange, Arrington received a $4.2 million signing bonus and potential option bonuses that could total $11.3 million. Moral of the story: Don't believe the hype about all these contracts. A lot of it is funny money and creative bookkeeping. The Arrington contract does include an interesting provision: He had to buy a disability policy that makes the team the beneficiary. That's the first time the Redskins have asked for that type of provision in a contract, although other teams have done so.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:38 pm

As long as the NFLPA approval stays in there, they can fudge around with any other number they want!
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:40 am

Clearly, that provision is a direct reflection of the style of play employed by # 56. All out, baby !
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:02 am

Redskins Freak writes:
As long as the NFLPA approval stays in there, they can fudge around with any other number they want!

I completely agree. I could care less how the numbers work out or how they're portrayed to the general public.

If the player is happy (which keeps him around) and if the club is happy (because it's salary cap friendly), I'm 100% in favor of an contract that can accomplish this!!

I don't care of L.A. Nation signed for $5.00 a year with an $80,000 million bonus!!!
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:35 am

I only want three things...
1. For Shaddy to start playing like we all know he can
2. For Shaddy to be a Redskin for life, no matter what the cost
3. (see my signature)
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

Joe's#1Fan

i,m for cap friendly contracts

Postby gibbsfan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:44 am

Justice Hog wrote:Redskins Freak writes:

I completely agree. I could care less how the numbers work out or how they're portrayed to the general public.

If the player is happy (which keeps him around) and if the club is happy (because it's salary cap friendly), I'm 100% in favor of an contract that can accomplish this!!

I don't care of L.A. Nation signed for $5.00 a year with an $80,000 million bonus!!!

hey great point there cause i,m all for these kind of contracts -along as they can allow themselves to be under the cap by going after other needs for the teamm in general.

la nation is what a redskin represents and thats hard work all out play. :P
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:51 am

So what are we saying here...we don't care how much a player get??? I guess I differ here because a bad move cap wise can really strangle a team. It's bad enough that teams have dead cap money every year. You have to understand when you give a player a large signing bonus if that player doesn't work out the entire signing bonus (which is the only guaranteed money a player gets) comes due the next year. I just think it's imparative that a team do it's homework in this area.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:59 am

I agree DEHog - don't fall over in a dead faint - you should be used to it by now :)

I think that giving one player 1/7th of the entire team cap is freaking ludicrous. It keeps the TEAM from winning because the supporting cast ends up having to be a bunch of nickel and dimers that can't do the job.

This is, of course, my argument about Bailey, DEHog.... thanks for making my point for me ::grin::
Rich in Roanoke

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:17 am

That being said you still have to way the risk of what players to keep and who to let go...I don't see anybody crying about Lavar's 8 mil a year or to put it another way about 11% of the cap
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:42 am

LOL - first of all he won't hit that number for a while...

Right now he is 5.6 mil a year escalating up, which is why I said I don't see him being a Skin past year whatever.... He goes up to 9-11 mil which isn't good either. I don't like Samuels being at 10 mil this year - that is why we have heard they want to restructure his deal. NO ONE player should get so much money as to hurt the entirety of the team - it is ludicrous.

See the link below to see my post - about 3-4 posts down
http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1568&start=15
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football