Hiring Gibbs Is Great, but Also Hiring a GM Would Be Better

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Postby psummersjr » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:12 pm

BossHog wrote:I speak often of people that bash Snyder for the sake of bashing him, as opposed to only when he earns it.

To add to your statement Boss, I think Snyder has redeemed himself a bit, if only temporarily. I'm not saying we should take him out from underneath our watchful eyes but give him a break, he did bring Joe Gibbs back and for that, no matter how it turns out, I will always adore the man.
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

Joe's#1Fan

and another thing

Postby gibbsfan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:39 pm

psummersjr wrote:Casserly was also Beathard's protege' which is why I think he's so good. Plus, he worked well with Gibbs and knew how to deal with a pain in the @$$ owner.

keeps the tradition from the front office as well-that was my thought process from the begining when joe was rehired as coach. :)
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:42 pm

I've always wanted Casserly back and considering The Danny grew up a Skins fan, it surprises me that he was so quick to get rid of him. I guess he reminded him of the Cooke regime or something. Either way, it'd be great to have him back in the front office mix.
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:51 pm

I didn't ask why Cerrato gets ripped for bad moves, nor did I attempt to defend those moves. I asked why he isn't credited for the good moves. And whether or not Coles et al have established NFL credentials doesn't negate the positive impact of their signings.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:52 pm

Anonymous wrote:I didn't ask why Cerrato gets ripped for bad moves, nor did I attempt to defend those moves. I asked why he isn't credited for the good moves. And whether or not Coles et al have established NFL credentials doesn't negate the positive impact of their signings.

Whoops, forgot to log in, crap I won't be credited for that post.

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:57 pm

Anonymous wrote:I didn't ask why Cerrato gets ripped for bad moves, nor did I attempt to defend those moves. I asked why he isn't credited for the good moves. And whether or not Coles et al have established NFL credentials doesn't negate the positive impact of their signings.

I would argue mainly that although those were great signings, they were no-brainers and anyone could have done it. Spurrier probably told Cerrato he wanted a speedy receiver like Coles and The Danny opened his checkbook. I doubt Cerrato went out and did extensive research or anything. Cerrato doesn't have the ability to recognize potential, which is something Beathard and Gibbs had. They found good players where no one else could.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:04 pm

Actually, Cerrato did do extensive research. Mark Maske had a very good, very detailed piece in the Post last year outlining the Skins process for evaluating their needs and who would best fill those needs. Keep in mind he could have signed Peerlees Price or David Boston. I'm not going to play the role of Ceratto defender here but to say Coles was just the most obvious fit simply is not accurate.

But why won't Dan hire a GM?

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:09 pm

But why won't Snyder hire a GM? Why keep his hand in the cookie jar? Unless, he still intends to try to play with the big boys. I do think that Joe Gibbs will be able to handle Danny as long as Joe wins games, but it only takes a three game losing streak for Danny to become impatient. Then what? Will he be trading Ramsey for Bledsoe under Gibbs nose?

I think the next few years are going to be great, but I agree that hiring an experienced GM would make things better. And isn't that the whole point of her article? I know that she is an outside agitator, but in this case I don't think her point is too hard to see. Its not that she or I think that Gibbs will be a failure, but it would certainly better if we had a GM on par with Ron Wolf.

Chad

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:13 pm

I'll agree we need a GM if this thing turns out to be a total failure but until then I'm not troubled by the lack of one. Because for every Ron Wolf there is a Matt Millen.

~~~~~~~~

Forgot to log in!

Postby ii7-V7 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:19 pm

Forgot to log in!

Chad

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:17 pm

Desmond Howard???

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:06 pm

Fios wrote:Actually, Cerrato did do extensive research.

Fair enough. I guess only the second part of my point is legit then. We need some people in the front office who can better evaluate the potential of younger players, rather than just choosing proven players that can satisfy needs. Don't get me wrong, that's often the path to take but not always and I think that's where we're lacking. Of course, we have had pretty quality draft picks over the past few years.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:05 pm

psummersjr wrote: That said, I don't think it would hurt to get a GM but I would let Gibbs choose that person b/c the relationship btwn the coach and GM is so crucial to effectively carrying out the necessary duties.

Hmmm...Let the employee pick his boss. I like that concept ! Let me run it past my foreman on Tuesday ! (Monday is a holiday in the US.)
If he's down with it, I'll get busy right away !
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:20 pm

BossHog wrote:Sorry the bandwagon passed you by Sally, there won't be any room for you the next time around...

Sometimes it seems like she feels obligated to balance out Wilbon, Kornheiser, and Boswell... who are all 3 overwhelmingly positive about this whole situation.

Hopefully Snyder has thought this all out through. If he blows this one, he's going to have to join a witness relocation program.... :P
Robert :D

Postby hoof-n-tusk » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:41 pm

#1 post here so bear with me.I think its entirely possible for coach Gibbs and Mr. snyder to coexist without anyone in the GM role ,officially. I say this because it seems to me that Snyder in the past has admitted to being a fan more than an objective owner,that being said I know from my own standpoint as a fan I would follow coach Gibbs through the gates of hell and trust him if he told me it was merely going to be a bit humid and the devil doesnt live there now since he found Philly to be more suitable for his needs.I think Mr Snyder has nothing but trust and confidence in coach Gibbs because he was a fan first and coach's track record certainly affords him more patience than the failures we've had since he left 11yrs ago.I also think that the logistic side of this will be handled by Cerrato and Snyder but the ultimate recommendation and decision will come from the rest of the coaching staff. At least this is what im hoping for (crosses fingers)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football