Defensive End or Tackle?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
~~~~~~~~

Defensive End or Tackle?

Postby ii7-V7 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:26 am

If you had to choose one, which would you choose?

I hear that most people want a good pass rushing DE, but I would rather put the meat up the middle and get a Ted Washington style Tackle. I would rather stop the run and force teams to throw against Champ and Smoot. Let them shut down the passing game, and let Lavar keep batting down passes. Of course, in a perfect world I would want both, but if I could only choose one I would go DT. It's my opinion that a good run defense gets the defense of the field quicker, plus thats G. Williams style of defense.

Chad

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:31 am

DT...you have to stop the run so you can employ your DE's. Don't really need a pass rush if the other teams not passing.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Joe's#1Fan

i would goin this direction

Postby gibbsfan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:31 pm

DEHog wrote:DT...you have to stop the run so you can employ your DE's. Don't really need a pass rush if the other teams not passing.

me you build from the (DT)-the inside.
give a couple DT,S then go from there on the line -stopping the run 1st along with getting a push up the middle with the ends coming on the outside with speed and quickness,a little size doesn,t hurt either.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

swine

Postby Bitter Smuggs » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:44 pm

We need both badly, but I would take a pass rushing DE. We have good linebackers who can help stop the run (although their job would be a lot easier with a couple of big fellas to occupy the offensive lineman). I think a pass rushing DE is more important because they can put pressure on the QB on 3rd and long without relying on blitzing LBs.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:55 am

I think we get a DT and DE in free agency with Wynn and Upshaw showing some progress in the year and a monster DT in the draft. I really want two beefy dudes in the middle that can't be easily pushed around with a leverage block though...

Too bad Siragusa is retired and Adams wants too much for his old carcass :)
Rich in Roanoke

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:45 am

Normally I believe you go inside out but I think we need a pass rusher more than a run stopper. I hope we sign a DE so we can draft a DT that would be great.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

~~~~~~~~

Two Points

Postby ii7-V7 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:01 am

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:I think we get a DT and DE in free agency with Wynn and Upshaw showing some progress in the year and a monster DT in the draft. I really want two beefy dudes in the middle that can't be easily pushed around with a leverage block though.....

These guys will help to provide depth on the D-Line. I'd be really interested to see how their numbers improve if we have someone pushing the pocket. With a strong push up the middle the sacks will increase, even if we dno't upgrade our ends. Not saying that I would love to get Jevon Kearse and Julius Peppers on our team....A guy can dream can't he?

Bitter Smuggs wrote:We have good linebackers who can help stop the run

Didn't seem to help this year. Line backers make plays amongst or behind the D-Line, at least 95% of the time. For every yard that the D-Line pushes the O-Line back thats one less yard of safety for the Running Back. Of course, this idea works the opposite way too. Everytime the opponents O-line puts our tackles on their heels thats extra yards for the ball carrier. Thats why I think Beef is the way to go.

Chad

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:08 am

Too bad Siragusa is retired and Adams wants too much for his old carcass
adams is a FA, maybe he'll want to follow williams.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:07 am

hailskins666 wrote:adams is a FA, maybe he'll want to follow williams.

That thought crossed my mind as well.

Chad

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:11 am

I can always hope that'll be true, but I want to make sure that we can afford him

I agree that we need DT's and big ones. Run stopping is crucial in this game and they are the core you build from - they shield the middle LB from blockers, they push in the pocket to cause chaos on run or pass plays, and very good DTs make the ends much more effective :)
Rich in Roanoke

swine

Postby whomp-em » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:35 am

I'm torn. Everyone has made good points, but the thing that sticks out in my mind the most about last season is watching the other QBs have ALL DAY to throw. Our DTs did a decent job at times but there was relatively no pass rush all season long. I'd have to go with a DE first and a DT second. If only to put some sort of pressure on the QB. But it's really a "pick your poison" scenario as we need both...

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:20 pm

Keep in mind that Upshaw and Wynn have posted better sack numbers in the past when they weren't with the Skins - and the one thing to look at is the fact that both teams had good DTs in the middle. If the offensive line has to concentrate on keeping 700 pounds of heaving bulk out of the middle, it leaves the ends one on one with the tackles - this also aids the blitzes from LBs and safeties...
Rich in Roanoke

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:34 pm

My thoughts, though selfish enough maybe, are that we haven't had a solid pass rush since the Mann/Manley combo IMO. I salivate over thoughts of our d-line living in the backfield. It's been too long. With Joe back at the reigns, maybe we'll get it right. I enjoy the verocity of watching a 260-300 pound man slamming a QB to the ground...makes the game exciting. And we haven't had that in almost a decade from the D-line. And if we're able to put that kinda pressure on the QB, causing him to not sit in the pocket and scrambling for his life...imagine how much better that's gonna make Smootie, Chump, Ohalete, and Bowens. Just my thoughts, though... 8)
<~~~~~Runs with scissors X
(_E=mc2_)

“This is where I'm most comfortable, ... This is my life, where I work. I'm definitely glad to be back.” #21

Postby DIESEL_TROLL » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:33 pm

Joe Gibbs is fanatical (and that's probably an understatement) when it comes to "football 101"--(tackling, blocking assignments, finishing routes, etc.)--that's what made him exceptional in the NFL coaching ranks and his vast knowledge of the game "earned" his player'
s respect........; it has never ceased to amaze me, the level of execution and performance a team can reach with knowledgable, passionate leader. I don't think Spurrier even came close and his player's were well aware of that fact...hence, I don't think we've seen the level of competitiveness that most of the players on the Skins are capable of........the one's that are there just to pick up a paycheck will be "shown the door" quickly.......

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football