I was worried that we'd be looking at a new starting QB

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++

I was worried that we'd be looking at a new starting QB

Postby NikiH » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:04 pm

Until I just read somewhere that Gibbs said he was looking forward to working with Patrick, I was really worried he'd bring in someone else. I trust Gibbs judgement completely. I just think Ramsey needs a chance to show us what he can do when he is upright for at least a full quarter! So hopefully he will be our starter. Am I wrong in assuming that? I have heard a rumor that the coach will be looking for a vetern back up. What do you think this means for the two back ups currently on our roster? I love Hamdan and I think he has a great arm. He needs to be coached of course but I think we should keep him. I may be partial, he's my son's favorite Redskin. I am not sure about Hasselback. Sonny said he doesn't have the type of arm Gibbs likes to work with. Any thoughts????
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:17 pm

Ramsey will be the starter next year barring any unfortunate injury. Mark May said in the Post today that he thinks Ramsey has the most raw talent of any OB Gibbs has ever had. Of course, aside from Theisman, that isn't saying much. Gibbs wants a veteran OB because he's recognized how crucial a solid back-up is to having any type of success. To not carry a proven backup is an inviatation for disaster. As for Hadman, who knows? I can't see him on the team next year but Gibbs may see something he likes.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:57 pm

Patrick is going to have to unlearn what he got from Spurrier. You don't have to keep that ball glued to your ear while you're looking downfield. He's also going to have to develop quicker feet and a quicker release. Joe will leave plenty of people in to block for him, but somebody is going to have to run down the field. I hate to say it, but this is exactly why I'd leave Hasselbeck on the roster. He did well when all he had to do was get rid of it fast. He'd be the ideal guy to step in if PR should happen to have a setback in his recovery.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Hog

Postby newshog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:01 pm

Honestly, I don't think that Patrick's going to have to "unlearn" anything about the mechanics of being a QB (ball up at his ear, etc.) that he learned from Spurrier. He will have to learn a new check-down system, but I doubt he will actually have trouble adjusting to get rid of the ball faster--it's just that that was not something that Spurrier wanted from his QB (he wanted the QB to let plays develop downfield).

I think Ramsey will be absolutely fine.

At the same time, I can understand why Gibbs would want a veteran back there. My guess is he'll let Hamdan and Hasslebeck battle out for the number 3 spot.
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:45 pm

NewsHog...
The BossHog speaks highly of you. Says you've been his source of news for some time now. Based on these platitudes, I won't cross you. I posit, though, that Joe wouldn't want "Patches" (my own nickname for Ramsey) showing the world where the ball is. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Show me the way.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:58 pm

I think that playing Hasselback over Handam was a crime Hasselback will be sent to a fimilar place. Under Ramsey the Redskins were near 500 under Hasselback they went 1-5. The reason Hasselback never got hit is because no one blitzed him and do you know why. No one was scared of his arm. At the end it is going to be 1 Ramsey 2 Veteran backup and 3 Handam

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:18 pm

Anonymous wrote:I think that playing Hasselback over Handam was a crime Hasselback will be sent to a fimilar place. Under Ramsey the Redskins were near 500 under Hasselback they went 1-5. The reason Hasselback never got hit is because no one blitzed him and do you know why. No one was scared of his arm. At the end it is going to be 1 Ramsey 2 Veteran backup and 3 Handam

Sadly "guest" has offered no information as to why Hamden should've been featured over the Johnson-replacement Hasselbeck. Maybe "guest" knows something about Gibby that no one else does. Until "guest" offers something in the way of raw data, or even personal experience, I'm inclined to stay the course I've set.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:53 pm

Sadly "guest" has offered no information as to why Hamden should've been featured over the Johnson-replacement Hasselbeck. Maybe "guest" knows something about Gibby that no one else does. Until "guest" offers something in the way of raw data, or even personal experience, I'm inclined to stay the course I've set.
ROTFALMAO
i like TH. he has heart, and a ton of it. he may not be brett favre, but you probably couldn't tell him that. a guy with ALL the odds against him, he stuck around till he finally got a shot. and while he was 1-5 or whatever it was, this is a team sport. he didn't single handedly lose a game. while he had a 0.0 rating in the dallass game, he still played with more heart than half the babies that play for this team. he is the perfect example of a blue collar player. i personally was fearing the day that rob johnson would have to put us in a situation to win. i didn't have that fear with hasselbeck after that first game. i didn't expect the guy to make the pro bowl being a rookie, and not to mention one that was only five weeks into a new system....so he didn't disappoint me. he gave us a chance to win the miami game, which the D lost, and the NO and CHI games, which the D lost again. it wasn't all his fault. and while he dosent have the talent of peyton manning, i'll just be damned if i'll sit back and watch someone who gave their ALL get trashed, unlike many of the "superstars" on this team that played with half assed effort in those same games. My 2 cents
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:06 pm

666, I copy that. You said it better than I did.
Still, I'm waiting to hear what "Guest", he of the brass testicles, has to offer in terms of Gibran Hamden having something other than seniority over Hasselbeck. I can learn to learn, but the simple flaming of someone else's opinion won't fly with me. He's gonna have to do better than that.
Do we get a lot of these anonymous shots in the dark here ? I'm still too new to know.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:20 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am very very excited to see what Ramsey can do when he has the "protection" as promised under a Gibbs scheme.

In the first few games last year, when he wasn't getting sacked as much, Ramsey really lit it up and, if I remember correctly, was a league leader in passing.

Given the time to throw, this kid will light it up again next year.

I can't wait.

As for the veteran QBs, I think it would be a good idea to bring in a veteran as #2.

As for #3, I honestly haven't seen enough of Hamden to know what he can do. I have seen Hasselbeck, however, and I liked what I saw in him very much. I think he has definitely earned the nod as our #3.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

+++

Postby NikiH » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:19 pm

I am just confused. Does Gibbs typical QB not equal into this? That was where I was confused in the first part of this.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:45 pm

NikiH...The post got away from you, and this is partially my fault.
Gibbs will talk to Patrick. If Patrick is pious, and Patrick has a strong arm, and Patrick mentions the 'Redskins' in his first ten words to the coach, he's in.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:10 am

One thing that Gibbs will do is change from the Spurrier system of checking down like someone mentioned earlier.

Spurrier had the field divided vertically, meaning PRam looked downfield first, medium second and short third. This left him vulnerable to hanging on to the ball more simply due to the system. When TH got into the game, you could see Spurrier adjust to shorter routes due to TH not having PRam's arm, but the minute he got success from TH and the shorter routes, he wanted him to go deeper and make the strong arm throws. It takes a helluva arm to throw a 20 yard out route... that is why TH had a lot of overthrows on those routes, IMO... he forced it as hard as he could and it floated on him.

Oppositonally - 31 other coaches will have a QB read the field horizontally, usually specifying in the play design who the # 1,2,3,4 WR is. In some replays you see, you can see the QB scan across the field picking up certain WR to see if they are open.

One other thing I don't believe Spurrier did that Gibbs will - Spurrier had timing routes as the mainstay - the route was set and the WR had to be there to complete the pass. In most offenses, the WR will have 2-3 different options they can execute at a particular point in a route.

For example, if the back is backpedaling fast, the WR can cut across the middle gaining separation. If he is on the right of the WR, the WR can hitch in and dump the back guarding him. If the back is on his left, he can slant out towards the sidelines leaving the CB stranded from making a play on the lob that floats into his arms from above.

Spurrier's offense relied on audibles to adjust routes according to what the QB saw presnap - most coaches will allow the WR to adjust to the defense and the QB throws to a particular window depending on who is doing what and has the most separation.

It is much more effective on the pro level to have the WR adjustability because if you are on streak... for example, and the CB figures that out, there ain't a thing you can do without the QB adjusting it presnap - the timing would be off and the WR wouldn't be there.

Another thing, if the WR gets jammed at the line - where the CB comes up and hits them right after the snap, a lot of timing routes get screwed up and that happened a lot to the Skins this last year - the teams that gave us cushion, we were successful against passing wise - the teams that played smashmouth at the CB position (most) kept our WR limited.

Gibbs will stick with Ramsey like he did with Rypien - a strong accurate arm. He will also like that Patrick is a smart player - a double major in accounting and finance shows he is no dummy and thinks in logical terms - and Gibbs loves smart players. Unless Ramsey bungles the offseason completely, which I don't see him doing as he is a perfectionist and a student of the game. I actually imagine he will be in the game film room trying to keep up with Gibbs' dedication to planning and detail.
Rich in Roanoke

Joe's#1Fan

Re: I was worried that we'd be looking at a new starting QB

Postby gibbsfan » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:42 am

NikiH wrote:Until I just read somewhere that Gibbs said he was looking forward to working with Patrick, I was really worried he'd bring in someone else. I trust Gibbs judgement completely. I just think Ramsey needs a chance to show us what he can do when he is upright for at least a full quarter! So hopefully he will be our starter. Am I wrong in assuming that? I have heard a rumor that the coach will be looking for a vetern back up. What do you think this means for the two back ups currently on our roster? I love Hamdan and I think he has a great arm. He needs to be coached of course but I think we should keep him. I may be partial, he's my son's favorite Redskin. I am not sure about Hasselback. Sonny said he doesn't have the type of arm Gibbs likes to work with. Any thoughts????

joe mentioned that he would keep 3 quarterbacks on the roster ,so he would look toward bringing in a veteran qb .
having a solid qb as backup to ramsey. :)
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football