Rod Gardner: A keeper?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
The Evil Straw

Rod Gardner: A keeper?

Postby Fios » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:12 pm

I may be alone in this, but I'm of the belief that it is a little too soon to scrap Gardner. Granted, he had a miserable year last year but that can't be entirely pinned on him. The dropped passes were problematic and would obviously have to be addressed. But, after the 3-1 start a culture of losing seemed to envelop the team. Players of all calibers had sub-par years. I don't think you can discount how that hindered a player's performance. And Gardner played superbly in that 3-1 start. His size and skill would seem to make him ideally suited to Gibbs offense as a possession receiver. I just think we would regret letting him go after only his second season in the NFL. Thoughts?

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:47 pm

I like what I saw from Gardner. I think we should keep Gardner unless a very attractive offer comes our way.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:16 pm

I am one of the many around here that believes that McCants deserves a shot at being the #2 receiver ahead of Gardner.

As we all know full well, Joe Gibbs has a knack for bringing out the best in his players. If he can bring out the best in Gardner....then I hope he sticks around because, and some may disagree with me, I believe he is capable of being a very talented receiver.

My vote is to keep Gardner...but make him #3 until he proves he is worth the spot at #2.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:20 pm

Jake wrote:I like what I saw from Gardner. I think we should keep Gardner unless a very attractive offer comes our way.

i like gardner too with him and coles along with mccants we have some solid wide receivers right now-so it,s hard to argue that position.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:28 pm

Justice Hog, I cant believe what your saying. Do you honestly think that McCants has more potential than Rod Gardner? Rod Gardner is an amazing player and everytime the Redskins have a really good game, so does Rod. Plus, I remember one game in 2002 against the Giants with McCants in it. The Redskins playoff hopes were on the line that game, and they were on the verge of a comeback. There in the red zone and Darnerien catches the ball, he runs about five yards and gets hit by Kato Serwanga. He coughs up the ball and the Redskins season. I can guarantee you Rod would never do something like that.

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:34 pm

P.S., Fios, I really appreciate your views. I remember hearing a whole bunch of Rod Gardner trade rumors over the season, and most Redskin fans were saying, get rid of him for T.O. I had faith in Rod, and I knew that he'd have a great career in a Redskins uniform. I cant wait till next year for Rod to prove all his doubters wrong. And as strange as this might sound, I think Rod Gardner has the potential to be better than L Coles.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:55 pm

Redskins4Life wrote: I think Rod Gardner has the potential to be better than L Coles.

Boy, do I hate that word. I get the whole Micheal Westbrook thing coming back. You know, all "potential" no "show".
Here's the good news for you, Redskins4Life. If anybody,anybody, can help Gardner translate any purported "potential" into on-the-field success, it's Gibbs. I predict that by the end of camp, Coach will know exactly what he has in Gardner. With any luck at all, it's the guy we thought we were getting.
Until then, don't mind if I don't agree with your comparision to Coles. I need to see more, as I'm sure you'd like. Laveranues reminds me of Gary Clark, and boy...was he something.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:18 pm

OK... I tried to not say anything, but this gardner sweetness is making me puke.

THE GUY CAN'T CATCH!

Every year he displays new problems that are really part and parcel of the same problem... one year it's offside penalties or not knowing plays, the next it's just flat out dropping balls. HIS HEAD IS NOT IN THE GAME!

The guy needs to learn how to concentrate, and to come ready to play. Joe Gibbs won't stand for any less, so we'll see in a hurry if he can. Raw skills don't mean squat if you can't stop hurting your team with dumb mental mistakes.

Darnerian McCants is WAY more of a FOOTBALL PLAYER than Gardner will ever be. DM may not have all the 'physical tools' that Rod has, but he doesn't make mental mistakes, always comes to play, and has more heart in his pinkies than Gardner has in his whole body. I don't really know how anyone can say what DM's capable of... all he keeps doing is overachieving at every level he plays. i think the fact that McCants caught twice as many TDs as gardner last year in half the passes is a very telling stat indeed.

I believe the following statement to be both true and telling...

Rod Gardner was a better quarterback last year than he was a receiver.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:21 pm

Boy, do I hate that word. I get the whole Micheal Westbrook thing coming back. You know, all "potential" no "show".
man i hate to quote bill parcells, but in a press conference early in the season, he said something that really stuck out in my head. he said after being asked about his players potential "i gotta tell you, potential is nothing, performance is everything". there are very few quotes that stick out in my mind in the game of football, but that is one that NOBODY can argue with the meaning of... My 2 cents
while i haven't given up on gardner, i've just really been disappointed :( i think we'll see a few all stars blossum in the light of our new situation with gibbs though..... those that "could be", will be.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:28 pm

I'm not convinced Gardner is a bust yet, Boss I agree the guy makes mental mistakes...I just want to see him after a year with Gibbs and company. I do like McCants but I'm a little partial because I watched him here at DSU
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:35 pm

DEHog wrote:I'm not convinced Gardner is a bust yet, Boss I agree the guy makes mental mistakes...I just want to see him after a year with Gibbs and company. I do like McCants but I'm a little partial because I watched him here at DSU

Well, that's certainly understandable. That's how I latched onto Monk ! I hope he has the same success our #81 did.
Really, I do. As long as he has no designs on that number.
Ooh. That's a new thread. Watch this !
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:42 pm

I agree with Boss Hog, McCants has earned the right to start. He is a great possesion receiver!! And ole stone hands just s*cks!!!!!!!
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:31 pm

Redskinsforlife writes:
There in the red zone and Darnerien catches the ball, he runs about five yards and gets hit by Kato Serwanga. He coughs up the ball and the Redskins season. I can guarantee you Rod would never do something like that.

You are correct, you are!! Before Gardner could do something like that, he's got to catch the freakin' ball! (which he had a lot of problems doing last year)
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:35 pm

You are correct, you are!! Before Gardner could do something like that, he's got to catch the freakin' ball! (which he had a lot of problems doing last year)
:lol: hard to argue with someone who does it(argue) for a living......
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:13 pm

I think it was Regan Upshaw that called Gardner "50-50". :D
He meant it in the sense that he catches all the hard throws and drops all the easy throws. My theory: Wing it, Patrick! :D
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football