Rod Gardner: A keeper?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:27 pm

Well i am sure I already chimed in again, but I'm not sure where my post went :-) Stupid webmaster.

I'm not saying Gardner's a bust, just that his mental game has to improve for him to start performing instead of just having potential.

McCants has more heart than Gardner ever will, and I think that because his talent doesn't come so easily to him (as it does to Gardner)... he tries a lot harder.

I just want the #2 receiver to be the guy who deserves it, not the guy who looks better on paper. Last year McCants earned a right to play at #2 and never got it.

If it's RG, it's RG. If it's DM, it's DM. I think Coach Gibbs will bring the best out of a lot of people... hopefully Gardner is one of them.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:19 am

Two things in Gardner's defense - PRam throws it just as hard short as he does long - 100 mph - that being said Rod should still catch it.

Rod does get open though - if he got a daggone ball throwing machine and set it at the highest speed and practiced catching 300 balls a day maybe his brains and hands would connect.

I don't have any memory of him having the dropsies in 2002, so I have to wonder if it isn't the fact that PRam is breaking his hands on a 4-5 yard pass....
Rich in Roanoke

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:54 am

Coles, Gardner,and McCants are not yet Monk, Clark,and Sanders but give them this year. Gardner is coming into his 4th year and should be make or break time, he'll either concentrate or Gibbs will move Him down the chart.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:36 am

I agree Warmother - I don't think we tweak much on the offensive side of the ball. I think we save most of our movement for the defensive side of the ball.
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:09 pm

Boss Hog, You keep saying DM has more heart than RG will ever have. Thats false, and i'll tell you why. Theres a guy named Joe Gibbs whos known for bringing the best out of his players, and thats who'll be coaching Rod next year. I think we can all agree Rod has enough talent, give him a year with Gibbs, and i'm sure he'll prove he knows how to utilize his talents. P.S. for all you in favor of McCants, think about this. Hes the slot receiver, aka. the dude who has to go against the defense's nickel back. If you put someone like Justin Skaggs(remember him!) against a nickelback, I bet even he could make some magic.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:50 pm

What does Joe Gibbs coming in have to do with having heart? Other than the fact that Gibbs is so good a coach that he can make up for not having heart.

It still isn't gonna make DM have any less heart, or RG any more. McCants will benefit just as much from the Coaching of Gibbs as Rod will, maybe more. Teaching a guy to run a route is a lot more doable than teaching a guy how to think.

Because DM's head's in it more... he'll learn quicker, he'll listen better.

McCants caught more TDs than anyone else because of his nose for the end zone, not because he was against a nickel back....
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:55 pm

BossHog wrote:What does Joe Gibbs coming in have to do with having heart? Other than the fact that Gibbs is so good a coach that he can make up for not having heart.

I think that Coach Gibbs would say that that is a stretch. Coach would likely list that as one of the top three criteria to come work for him. You have to want to be there, you have to be able to do the job and you have to work like every day is an audition. Nobody's job is safe if they're found lacking in any one of the three listed criteria, IMHO.
Even Coach Gibbs can't make a player have heart. It's an intangible part of somebody's makeup, not a "learned behavior".
I've never met Rod Gardner. All I know is what I see on tv. The addition of Coles should've made a player with heart work harder. Instead, we saw a distracted WR. Dropped some normally "catchable" balls. McCants, on the other hand, took his opportunities when they came and made the most of them.
I've been wrong before. All I can go on is what I see. When he interviews, he talks a good game. He seems very rah-rah, all sunshine and gatorade dumps. Somehow, it never translates into a good game.
Like I've said before, along with countless others in these threads and posts, Joe will know.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:21 pm

Before Patrick Ramsey went out, Rod Gardner had some pretty damn good numbers. And another valuable asset Gardner brings to the table, is his ability to throw touchdowns as well as catching them. I believe he had a near perfect passing rating on 4 or 5 attempts.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:27 pm

You know what ? I forgot all about that. Good call. That is something that we've been missing since Mitchell left. The option pass is something Joe would like, and there's no mistaking RG's arm.
Still, is that enough of a reason ? What I'd most like to see is RG really responding to the new regime.
That would be the best of both worlds, for me.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:35 pm

Please don't tell me you want to keep a WR because he can throw?? What next? Bruce at RB because he can spin!! Anyway this topic has SCRAPPLE written all over it!!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:23 pm

Rod Gardner is a beast at WR regardless of what you guys say. RG in the pro bowl in 2005, STARTING AHEAD OF COLES. Mark my words.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:37 pm

Rod Gardner is a beast at WR regardless of what you guys say. RG in the pro bowl in 2005, STARTING AHEAD OF COLES. Mark my words.
OVER COLES???????? believe me, you words are marked........ one of us will eat some crow on this one. :wink:
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:57 pm

Redskins4Life wrote:Rod Gardner is a beast at WR regardless of what you guys say. RG in the pro bowl in 2005, STARTING AHEAD OF COLES. Mark my words.

In a perfect world, Gardner takes a look through this site, see what a die-hard fan he has here in Lifer, and feels some overwhelming sense of responsibility in not letting his #1 fan down. He then goes on to post some T.O. like numbers.
In a perfect world.
In this world, he'll never overtake Coles. Sad, but true.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:42 pm

Redskins4Life says:
Rod Gardner is a beast at WR regardless of what you guys say.

When the Skins first got Gardner, I was really pumped because I think he would be a great, physical receiver.

Thus far, the guy has dropped too many passes to be considered my #2 guy.

McCants deserves the shot....Hopefully Gibbs will give it to him.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:21 pm

Justice Hog.... How many passes did Rod drop in 2001 and 2002. I don't recall many. He had one "bad" season, but is an amazing player who just wasn't used to be the "second option" to Coles that he was this year. Don't give up just yet on the guy you were pumped up about getting in 2001. I have a suggestion for everyone... Give Rod a chance in 2004 with Mr. Gibbs and then decide if Rod's worthy enough to be a starter on the 'Skins.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football