Whose Number Should Be Officially Retired ?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
put AM in the HOF

Whose Number Should Be Officially Retired ?

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:39 pm

Spurrier had issues about numbers. He never could see how important it was that our traditions be upheld, despite nearly ten years of moderate-to-bad-play.Spurrier is out, Coach Gibbs is back. My question to you, the faithful fans, is whose number ought to never be used again, officially ?
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:43 pm

28, nothing but class
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:47 pm

44...for the run in the SB alone
81...he left the game as all time leader in rec. and is still 6th in yards
9...Only one Sonny
28...he played CB at 40!!!
33...already retire
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Aussie Hog

Postby Amberion » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:50 pm

DEHog wrote:33...already retire

Excuse a long distant redskin fan from his ignorance , but who wore 33. The rest I got.

28 - absolutely first choice

Not so sure on the rest - number retiring should be the supreme honour in my opinion

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:57 pm

#33.. Sammy Baugh

I agree on #9, #28, & #81.

I add #66 for Joe Jacoby... arguably one of the best tackles to ever play the game and he only ever got a chance to play because Gibbs thought he was a defensive lineman... never drafted... perennial pro bowler. To not have a Hog retired is just wrong and JJ is the one that I would choose first.

I love Riggo, but I think jersey retirement should be reserved for very few. To be honest, I nearly didn't put Sonny but I think that his loyalty to the franchise gets him some brownie points.

Monk and Green bled burgundy and gold for too long not to be honored.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:05 pm

i don't believe in "retiring" numbers. while you can never replace the greats, theres no reason to obstruct the future. i mean if we get a player in the draft or even free agency and he's always worn a single number, who are we to say he's not worthy till he proves otherwise. i mean it sucks if a scrub like shane matthews wants to wear number nine, but it's not sacred, he hasn't committed a crime by wearing the number 20 years later. besides, if we reitre every number of every special player, in another 50 years, we'll have uni's with 3 digits.( roughing the passer number 666 defense....WTF? )
Last edited by hailskins666 on Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:11 pm

I don't know if any of these are already retired [because I'm clueless], but my votes are (and I realize I may not be as discriminating as some of you):

#3 - M. Moseley
#5 - H. Shuler [okay, okay....just kidding!!!!!]
#7 - J. Theismann
#9 - S. Jergensen
#28 - D. Green
#30 - B. Mitchell
#33 - S. Baugh
#42 - C. Taylor
#44 - J. Riggins
#65 - D. Butz
#66 - J. Jacoby (though Dan Turk, Michael Moore, Matt Campbell, and Brenden Stai have already followed him)
#81 - A. Monk

Whew! There, I think that about does it....as for my recommendations.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:19 pm

BossHog wrote:#33.. Sammy Baugh
I agree on #9, #28, & #81.
I add #66 for Joe Jacoby
I love Riggo.
Monk and Green bled burgundy and gold for too long not to be honored.

You know I'm with you, BossHog. However, 666 DOES have me feeling a little guilty. Am I taking away from the future by permanently honoring the past ? I think that what he said is the single most thought-provoking thing I've heard in years. Could we conceivably run out of numbers ? My mind is swirling. I want to honor Monk and Green. I think it would really kill me to see the #'s 81 and 28 in circulation again. What if it were left up to the guys that wore it ? A sort of Veteran's Committee ? I have five children. I'm instinctively looking for middle ground, I guess.
I don't know. I have to think on it now.
666, your evil shines through. :lol:
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:27 pm

666, your evil shines through.
sorry to influence anyone that has a great belief for tradition. rather than retiring numbers, give someone else a shot. i like the fact that the great players names and the number they wore is honored at just about each and every stadium in the game. but when it comes down to it, the player might be gone, but right now, we could use a number 44 or even a 28 if champ departs. out with the old, and in with the new. while players deserve enshrinement(be it canton, or the skins ring of fame) the numbers don't, they are just part of the uni that the player left behind.
THN's resident jerk.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:33 am

Boss, I left the hogs off for a reason...guess I should have explained. I just think they're were so special as a group, tough to single one out. What I'd like to see is the numbers the hogs wore issued to new hogs but they would have to earn it. Like what Parcels did in Dallas with the Star.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:15 am

Run out of numbers? You ony can dress 45, 53 to the roster... that leaves you 46 to retire.

Ok first off, the main criterion for me picking Monk and Green was tenure. How long is it gonna take before 46 players have played for the team for over a decade and been the best of the best? It doesn't even happen anymore(stay with the same team). And that's the main reason I would retire DG & AM.... long tenures, and exceptional play.

We may run out of numbers by the year 2456, but we'll have digital #'s by then, with scrolling advertisements, so it won't matter.

:-)
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:48 am

While I think it's great to retire some numbers. I agree that you will run out of them eventually, especially when the Skin's win more SB's. I think the Jersey's of the great players should be hung with name and number someplace in the stadium,( Use metal cut out's if they are exposed to weather) Then the numbers could be used for future players. This is done at University of Maryland with basketball players.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

LarryBrown

Postby LarryBrown » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:04 am

Are we once again forgetting about Bobby Mitchell? #49 Afterall, he is the first African-American to play for the franchise (the last franchise to integrate) and the one who Charley Taylor gives all of the credit for his development. I'm not quite sure why Bobby seems to always be forgotten when these discussions come up?

Not only that, for many years he tirelessly contributed to the front office. He patiently waited his turn while others with questionable ability (Charley Casserly) and success were promoted in front of him. Hasn't the man been dishonored enough?????

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:16 am

while i thimk mitchell should have been given a better shot at front office positions, like i said the number thing is BS. whining and making a big deal about somebody wearing a number 30 years later is absurd. he said in an article he was "offended" by it. what a crybaby.......get over it, the game goes on for the rest of us. thats just plain selfesh. what about MY number??? why isn't MY jersey number on the walls at fed ex.........
THN's resident jerk.

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:11 am

No-brainers: 9, 28, 42, 49, 81

Personal no-brainer: 44

That's about it. I understand the cases for the others but too many retired numbers devalues each one.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football