Whose Number Should Be Officially Retired ?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:21 am

Hey Freak, by #49 I'm assuming you mean Bobby Mitchell? I didn't choose him because he was with the Skins only 6 years ('62 - '68 ).

Of the names I picked, only two played for the Redskins less than 10 years total:

#30 - B. Mitchell ('90 - '99) - Close enough to 10 for me.
#44 - J. Riggins ('76-'79, '81-'85) - Who's gonna challenge this one.

IMHO, playing just 6 years for the team, no matter how good they were, just isn't enough to get your number retired.

I respect your opinion on #49, I think I just disagree with it.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:27 am

Fran, sometimes there are circumstances that transcend tenure. Mitchell's case is one of those. His was the last number I added to my no-brainer list because I thought I already had too many.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:30 am

You had too many? Geez, I practically fielded a full team with my picks! ROTFALMAO

I don't disagree "why" you picked Mitchell (I thought that was the reason)....which is why I respected your decision to pick him.

Now, if you agreed with my #5 recommendation, we'd have to move it to the Smack forum so I could yell at you! :nana:
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

piggie

Postby tnathan » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:22 pm

i think retiring numbers should be reserved for those that are icons of greatness... so there should be very few. at the same time, i like the idea of sort of unofficially retiring numbers, just for a fresh start. for example, i wish patrick ramsey were wearing a number that hadn't been worn by a skins starter so recently. ramsey should have a new number so he can have a chance to become an icon in his own right... anyone agree?
"rarely does a man have greater heroes than the champions of his youth."

-mike wilbon

go you nats

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:31 pm

#30 - B. Mitchell ('90 - '99) - Close enough to 10 for me.
OOOOOHHHH, justice, i have to disagree here, just because of the "unkind" words brian mitchell had for the skins after leaving.
ramsey should have a new number so he can have a chance to become an icon in his own right... anyone agree?
ramsey has always worn #11. a player should get to choose their own number, regarless of who did what in it.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

piggie

Postby tnathan » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:26 am

ramsey has always worn #11. a player should get to choose their own number, regarless of who did what in it.

yea, you're right about that... i guess i didn't think about the fact that he always had 11. thanks
"rarely does a man have greater heroes than the champions of his youth."

-mike wilbon

go you nats

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football