Champ Situation Settled!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Champ Situation Settled!

Postby Jake » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:05 am

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/2 ... -1511r.htm

Gibbs indicated Washington will use the franchise tag to prevent cornerback Champ Bailey from becoming a free agent. When it was mentioned that Bailey was set to become an unrestricted free agent, Gibbs replied, "I don't think that's going to happen. I'd say that's probably one we don't have to worry about."

I have to give the Times credit because the Post sure didnt have ANYTHING resembling something this big, lately.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Joe's#1Fan

good sign

Postby gibbsfan » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:32 am

i,m glad joe mentioned that right off the bat so when the free agency period starts we will protect him.

:D
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:08 am

Good now the Skin's can sign him long term or get something for him.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:39 pm

I read that Bailey's agent said that he assumed the Redskins had a plan in place for Champ, but they hadn't let the agent in on what it was yet.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:57 pm

Ain't nothing settled about slapping a franchise tag on a player.

The players never like it.

We're only guaranteed a one year contract unless a long term agreement can be made.

And once the tag is on, and the FA market opens... it's open season. If they land a Jevon Kearse and the Lions are offering you their 1st round pick in 2004 and 2005... it's pretty hard to still consider Champ settled.

Imagine the following scenario:

Feb 10 - franchise Champ... you can't sign a long term agreement until Feb 25... that's one week before FA starts.
Mar. 3 - FA opens and we sign Kearse.
mar. 3 - we also give Bailey to the Lions for 2 #1 picks
Mar. 4 - Bailey being gone, immediately frees the 6 mil allocated to the franchise tag and we sign let's just say for argument's sake... Chris McAllister or Bobby Taylor to replace CB

We now have the #5 and #6 pick going into the draft, a couple mil in cap still, and DE, CB totally looked after.

You could draft Sean Taylor and Kevin jones... you could draft whichevr one you prefer and trade the other pick to fall down the board some and get another second round pick...

... not saying that all of the above WILL happen, just that slapping the tag on Bailey doesn't mean much IMO... and it's good posturing by the Redskins to make Bailey 'part of the plans' and give the 'we just couldn't pass it up' speech after.

Gibbs had Casserley, and he's the king of posturing... gotta rub off.... and it's good business.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:17 pm

We can only hope that the scenario plays out the way Boss has it laid down. That would be making the best out of losing a really good cornerback, and a really good teammate.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:35 pm

Boss Hog, That is a scenario I really would like to see happen. If that scenario is possible, I surely hope Dan Snyder would let Bailey pack his bags and move to Detroit. Wow, that would just be amazing.

swine

Postby Bitter Smuggs » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:13 pm

Your fantasy scenario is great, but you forgot to include the compensation we would have to give up to get a corner to replace Champ. This year's free agent crop is loaded with corners, but the cream of the crop (Bailey, McAllister, C. Woodson and A. Winfield) will all likely be franchised. That leaves Bobby Taylor and Shawn Springs. I would rather pay Champ top dollar than save some cap space with one of the second tier corners. One blue chip corner who might be available without compensation is Ty Law, but that wouldn't happen until after June 1.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:33 pm

Wow, where did you hear about Ty Law?
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:38 pm

Bitter Smuggs wrote:Your fantasy scenario is great, but you forgot to include the compensation we would have to give up to get a corner to replace Champ. This year's free agent crop is loaded with corners, but the cream of the crop (Bailey, McAllister, C. Woodson and A. Winfield) will all likely be franchised. That leaves Bobby Taylor and Shawn Springs. I would rather pay Champ top dollar than save some cap space with one of the second tier corners. One blue chip corner who might be available without compensation is Ty Law, but that wouldn't happen until after June 1.

I didn't forget the compensation, I never suggested that they go after a franchised player... so i didn't need to address us compensating someone... that would totally defeat the purpose of getting the draft picks. I even said for 'for argument's sake... Chris McAllister or Bobby Taylor ' so that it was implied that there are so many FA cornerbacks this year, that there will be some good ones available. I didn't think I had to list every available FA corrnerback to paint the scenario by which Champ Bailey's getting franchised didn't 'settle' the situation.

Shawn Springs or Bobby Taylor may not be as good a cornerback as Champ Bailey. But if making that move allows you to have Sean taylor too, well IMO, Taylor and Taylor would be better than Bailey and Ohalete.

And you could still take Kevin Jones at 6 to address the RB, or you can drop a few more spots and get a DT or DE at #10 like Will Smith or Vince Wilfork might still be there and gain a second round pick.

Champ Bailey is ONE piece of the puzzle... I only laid out the above scenario to show that giving up that one piece might actually allow us to fill 2 or even 3 pieces.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:17 pm

Yes I thought that to, but Boss did say for example. I think what he's saying is we get the picks sign a CB for half of what we would give Champ...because we would need the cap$$ to sign the pick! Keep in mind the the CB will be second tier kinda of guy...but these are the choice teams are faced to make now.

Didn't Baltimore franchise McAllister last year?? Which means they can't do it again this year...he made 5 mill this year and won't be cheap
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:44 am

Baltimore did franchise McAllister and he loved it because he made more money than he would have, also McAlister wants to return to Baltimore and said he wouldn't mind being franchised again.
I would love it if Detroit would give up the picks to sign Champ but have they given any indication they would?
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:57 am

Why would a team give up picks??? Nobody gave up pick for McAllister. Of course he would like to be franchise he'd make top 5 money which is the reason, I believe ,you can't franchise a player two years in a row.

Question can you franchise a player two years in a row???
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

swine

Postby Bitter Smuggs » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:25 am

The Seahawks have franchised Walter Jones the past two years, and likely will do so again this year.

johnnyirish2

Postby johnnyirish2 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:49 am

keep bailey

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football