Way to go Stephen!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Way to go Stephen!

Postby Jake » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:48 pm

I would like to congratulate Stephen Davis for going to Super Bowl 38. I know all Redskins fans love him. I wish him the best and I would also like to say that I am very proud of him. Stephen is a really good guy and deserves everything that he worked for this year. I would also like to congratulate Mark Fields and Sam Mills. I met Mr. Mills when the Panthers came to FedEX Field in 2001. He is a class act and I hope he recovers soon. Mr. Mills and Mr. Fields have been diagnosed with cancer since August and I wish them the best of health.

One more thing, THANKS FOR MAKING IT 3 STRAIGHT FOR THE EAGLES!!!!! GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!! GO STEPHEN!!!!!!!
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:52 pm

38 is lookin' like a smash mouth game in the trenches...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:59 pm

I'm watching TB talking to the owner of the Panthers and I see Stephen behind him kissing the George Halas Trophy. He is in all his glory. I'm not happy he's not in D.C. but I am happy that he is in the perfect situation near his home in South Carolina and going to SB 38. It's very hard to believe that the PANTHERS are in the Super Bowl. It's not weird that they're a good football team but it's weird because they're one of the franchise that I am older than.

Stephen, buddy, I am so glad to see you where you are now.

=D> =D> =D> =D> :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Last edited by Jake on Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:39 pm

I'm delighted the Eagles and their overrated jackass of a quarterback won't be going to the Super Bowl. But I'm not looking forward to underinformed writers and commentators spending the next two weeks bashing the Redskins for "letting Stpehen Davis go."

Technically speaking, Davis still had a contract and the Redskins did release him. But when a player has a cap number of $11 million for the upcoming season, he might just as well be a free agent. Davis forced the Redskins to release him and signed with Carolina for probably less than the Redskins would have offered him if he'd given them them chance.

There was no way the Redskins could have kept Davis and obviously it's worked out well for him. But it's worked out well for the Redskins, too, since they used the money they saved to sign Coles, Thomas, Morton and Hall. I have a feeling the pundits won't see it that way, however, when they write their obligatory "Stephen Davis proves the Redskins wrong" features.

swine

Postby SkiNoVA » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:44 pm

yeah im not a big fan of journalists spinning stories like this in to big revenge stories... has anyone else noticed that they act as if stephen davis is coming out of nowhere.. its not like we didnt know what he could do, he had great seasons as a redskin and it was obvious to us, but so was that 11 million dollar cap hit and in the long run 1 person isnt worth that much in the era of free agency... well maybe mike vick...
skins fan in northern virginia, hogs country

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:25 pm

Hey Guest,

Only one thing, McNabb is not overrated--he is a great QB that is a class act even though he plays for the beagles!!!
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:29 pm

Although I agree that Davis' cap number was out of control, his value as an offensive weapon outweighed that. I do think the Redsksins made a mistake. Stephen Davis is arguably the best running back in the NFL. You can't really put a price on what he brings to a team. With that said, I love the man and REALLY hope he beats the crap out of the Patrios (although I think the Pats have it all but sealed... they're good and the only coach in the NFL that is better than Belichik is Gibbs)

GO PANTHERS!!

P.S.
What happened to McNabb? I never thought he was that big of a wimp!
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:36 pm

Anonymous wrote:Davis forced the Redskins to release him and signed with Carolina for probably less than the Redskins would have offered him if he'd given them them chance.

Actually the Redskins never attempted to restructure his contract. Stephen has said many times that he would have liked to have stayed in D.C. but SOS had no interest in him. And therefore the front office did nothing to try to keep him. Stephen Davis would have taken less money to stay here, he said so himself.

Chad

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:41 pm

I thought they re-worked his deal in training camp of 2002 along with LaVar and Bruce.

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

piglet

Great Thread jake

Postby Eddie911 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:08 am

It is awsome to see Big Country going to the Big Show. he deserves it . I have always been a huge fan of Davis.Love his smash mouth type football, was really ticked that Spurrier showed no intrest in Davis. That was a big mistake.
Man, Would I love to seen Davis in a Gibbs type offense.

GO Panthers !!!

HTTR
The Football God has returned to DC

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:47 am

kkryan wrote:Hey Guest,

Only one thing, McNabb is not overrated--he is a great QB that is a class act even though he plays for the beagles!!!

KK, this is gonna be one of the few times that I'm gonna completely disagree with you. Maybe I'm a sore loser, but did you see McNabb dancing in our end zone just a few short weeks ago ? To me, a "Class Act" tosses the ball to the referee, maybe a celebratory high-five (i.e. "Fun Bunch"). Certainly not an in-your-face, look-at-me dance. You'd have to call T.O. a class act in the same breath.
There are no "class act" Eagles or Cowboys.
Also, define "great" ? Montana was great. Marino was great. Brady "could be" great. McNabb has to do something besides beat up on a weak division year in and year out. You know what ? This was his last, best chance to do it, and as usual, he came up short. This division we're in is going to be much, much stronger next year. Gibbs ? Parcells ? Coughlin ?
Too bad for Philly; The only way to save the village may be to burn it all down.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:32 am

tcwest10 wrote:
kkryan wrote: but did you see McNabb dancing in our end zone just a few short weeks ago ? To me, a "Class Act" tosses the ball to the referee, maybe a celebratory high-five

Ohhhh TCW10

You just struck a nerve in me...That was someething I won't soon forget!! He may have done it before, but I can never remember him dancing like that and for that long anywhere before...I want so badly for us here to take a busload up to Philly for the game. I say we make replicas of the 3 SB trophies and show the Philly fans what a SB trophy looks like!!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:39 am

Jake wrote:I thought they re-worked his deal in training camp of 2002 along with LaVar and Bruce.

That may have been. I don't recall. But if they did rework his contract they didn't do a very good job of it for him to be counting $11 million against the cap one year later.

But when his cap number became unwieldy in 2003 the redskins front office made no attempt to restructure the deal. They essentially said, "We think you'll soon be over the hill, and we have no need for a powerback."

Chad

piggie

Postby Jeff Rhodes » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:43 am

I think you'd have to conclude the Redskins-Davis divorce was something both parties wanted. From the team's standpoint, they sat down to rework Davis's contract the summer before Spurrier had coached a single game in the NFL and, understandably, were reluctant to invest huge dollars in an aging running back with a history of injuries who didn't seem to be a good fit for the system its new coach planned to implement.

As for Davis, it's obvious he wanted to go someplace where he was going to be the featured attraction, and that didn't figure to be in Washington.

All that said, I still think the Redskins would have welcomed him back this season if they'd known he would sign for the paltry $1.5 million he eventually got from the Panthers. But there was no way for Davis or anyone else to know his market value would be that low until he actually cut his ties with the Redskins and made himself available in free agency, and by that time it was too late.

Again, I don't blame Davis for his decision, but I also don't think it's fair to characterize the Redskins as having run him out of town. It was a decision both parties agreed to -- and benefited by -- mutually.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football