coach in 2009 -- Gibbs?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
swine

coach in 2009 -- Gibbs?

Postby whomp-em » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:34 pm

We had touched on this in a thread about Russ Grimm - who will be the coach after Joe Gibbs leaves? And are they already preparing for it? Well, I saw this from Peter King of SI and figured I'd throw it out there:

"7. a. Joe Gibbs is really ticked off that the league doesn't automatically let coaches on staffs of fired head coaches out of their contracts. This has prevented him from filling out his coaching roster as quickly as he'd like.

b. This from a colleague of Gibbs' from his old Redskins days: "I have to believe part of his return is (because of) Parcells. Joe never talked about it much, but you always knew his rival was Parcells. He never had a lot of success against Bill. Now he gets another chance to go at him.''

c. Also from ex-Gibbs colleague: 'One of the reasons he came back that no one's really talked about is that he wants his son, Coy, to get into coaching. Coy really wants to do it, and Joe's trying to help him.'"

Now I know that Coy doesn't have a lot of experience (if any), but 5 years from now he'll have as much pro coaching experience as a lot of coordinators who got looked at this year. It's just a thought.

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:17 pm

I was suspicious that he might be grooming his son to succeed him from the moment I heard Coy had joined as a "quality control assistant". Hopefully, Joe will groom Coy well and he'll be qualified to take over. If Coy doesn't develop in the manner which would be expected, I hope Joe is objective enough to keep him from getting the head position.
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:32 pm

2009?

Yikes... I'm just looking forward to 2004 and putting a franchise back on the map of respectability so that I even care what's happening in 2009.

And if we dont have to think about a coaching change for 5 years after playing musical coaches for the last 5, then I'm content to just enjoy that.

Didn't Coy finish top 15 on the NASCAR circuit last year? Doesn't sound like he's short on things to do. The quality control coach's job is USUALLY to assist the unit with talent development of younger players mostly. In this case I think that Coy will just be listening and making notes, but gaining huge insight and experience by being around Buges and Zampese during the offensive 'process'.

I don't think Joe is grooming him for a head coaching job so much as broadening that horizon so that Coy could pursue it if he wanted to.

You know what the only thing I want in 2009 is?

A Super bowl ring for Gibbs' last finger and one for his thumb too.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:40 pm

Dont Curse us X X X X X X X X X X x x!
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Joe's#1Fan

i,m going to worry.

Postby gibbsfan » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:51 pm

BossHog wrote:2009?

Yikes... I'm just looking forward to 2004 and putting a franchise back on the map of respectability so that I even care what's happening in 2009.

And if we dont have to think about a coaching change for 5 years after playing musical coaches for the last 5, then I'm content to just enjoy that.

Didn't Coy finish top 15 on the NASCAR circuit last year? Doesn't sound like he's short on things to do. The quality control coach's job is USUALLY to assist the unit with talent development of younger players mostly. In this case I think that Coy will just be listening and making notes, but gaining huge insight and experience by being around Buges and Zampese during the offensive 'process'.

I don't think Joe is grooming him for a head coaching job so much as broadening that horizon so that Coy could pursue it if he wanted to.

You know what the only thing I want in 2009 is?

A Super bowl ring for Gibbs' last finger and one for his thumb too.

i,m just going to leave it at this -joe gibbs is back to give it another run before it,s all said and done for good.
is coy going to be joe,s successor at that time when it comes 2009,but for now let,s give it another run.

like bosshog i want to see him put 2 more rings on his fingers before it,s all gone for good. :D
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

swine

Postby whomp-em » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:07 pm

only two?! i'm thinking 3 rings, minimum!

and i agree with everyone that we should be happy we've got joe now, but why is there all of this talk and speculation about his successor (i'm obviously guilty too, but not alone)? 5 years is a long time.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:15 pm

whomp-em wrote:only two?! i'm thinking 3 rings, minimum!

and i agree with everyone that we should be happy we've got joe now, but why is there all of this talk and speculation about his successor (i'm obviously guilty too, but not alone)? 5 years is a long time.

Because even though Joe is back... we're diving into the dark days of the offseason, and we'll talk about anything :-)

It was hard to even find any new Redskin headlines today.

We've got a couple of more things like -- coaches to be named, but other than that, it'll be pretty quiet on Redskins news until Free Agency opens - well actually, i guess Champ will get tagged on Feb 10 too.

That's why we open the draft section... so we can talk football all year long. By the time the draft is over and the picks are signed... it's mid May and you can smell the flowers, and more importantly, training camp right around the corner.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:39 pm

You know something, Boss ? I'm oddly pleased with the lack of headlines in February. I'm tired of reading about how the Redskins are the Champions of the Offseason. I think that a nice, quiet February-March period will give me peace, because I know at least one person is busting his hump trying to get us going again.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:14 pm

tcwest10 wrote:You know something, Boss ? I'm oddly pleased with the lack of headlines in February. I'm tired of reading about how the Redskins are the Champions of the Offseason. I think that a nice, quiet February-March period will give me peace, because I know at least one person is busting his hump trying to get us going again.

and that one person trying to get us going aqain is joe gibbs himself.
i,m with ya boss -i would love to see joe go after another pair of rings plus some.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:52 pm

Oh I don't think we'll have a quiet offseason at all... it's not Danny's style.

But free agency doesn't open until mar. 3, so the only thing between then is bailey being franchised.

But I'd imagine we'll be expecting to make some noise right on the day FA starts. If we're going to go after Kearse... that's the day it'll happen.

Cerrato and Snyder may not know much about GMing a team, but they did prove last year that there are some duities that they can handle well... grabbing free agents, and quickly.

They were very prepared last year, and worked very hard IMO. Most of the guys they got either worked out well or got injured... but the FO sure did their due dilligence.

So Joe isn't the only one working OT at Redskin Park in January/February....

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football