Conventional Wisdom

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Conventional Wisdom

Postby newshog » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:34 am

I've been pondering some questions of conventional wisdom recently. Do you all agree that the following are still the case? If so, how come?

1.) This is the NFC East--you have to be able to pound it on the ground.

2.) At third and short, you need a running back who can grind out those couple of yards.

I'm not sure I agree with either of those propositions any more. I don't see any indication that taking it to the air won't be able to defeat NFC East opponents (heck, I'm reminded that the SEC used to be all about the ground game until SOS showed up). The only issue that I think comes into play is the weather, and frankly I don't think it necessitates that big a distinction. My feeling is that many people are dwelling in the tradition of the NFC East rather than the current situation.

As for point 2--if the team has been moving the ball well through the air on first and second down, I think they can do it on third down. Basically, they need to know they've got an automatic play--to the HB, to the TE, something--that will net them 2-3 yards every time. Or they just go long and try to convert on 4th down instead. ;)

Thoughts?
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

Conventional Wisdom

Postby eddy f » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:40 am

My gut reaction to the fun & gun is negative. To me introducing the F&G to the NFC East is like turning up in prison with a flower in your hair and a pair of Daisy Dukes on. You are asking for trouble! Nothing wrong with introducing a few F&G elements. Flexibility is the key IMHO.
:pi

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:13 pm

1. YES
2. YES

U need to be well rounded, if you score on every possession in 2 secs. thru the air then ur defense will be on the field forever, will tire out and get run over. Like last year, offense is out there, throws 3 interceptions the D is out there getting pounded and eventually tired out, but were still remarkable enough to keep games close.

I don't believe in the fun'n'gun, I love the power game, I hated to see #48 leave. But this is my team and I'll stick thru till the end.

Hog

Postby newshog » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:24 pm

But is #1 a particular characteristic of the NFC East? That's what I don't get--people saying "This is the NFC East, you've got to be able to" XYZ. Says who?

I suspect the defense will find it much easier to stay on the field when they're defending a 21 point differential! But even then, for a third-down conversion you're saying 3 yards and a cloud of dust gives them more of a rest than a 5-yard toss to the TE? I doubt it's that much different. I'm still talking about moving the chains, not necessarily the quick 40-yard touchdown.

But even if I were talking about the quick 40-yard touchdown, I'd take that every time.
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:44 pm

I saw a heavy jumbo package today with two TEs, Johnson as the FB and "Da Rock" Cartwright as the tailback. It will be interesting to see if this is used on Saturday.

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:03 am

Last few years Philly has owned the NFC east and all they've had is Staley. He is not a consistent power back, nor a probowl player. Based on that I'd say the ol cliche of power running in the NFC East doesn't apply right now.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football