brunell Press conference

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

brunell Press conference

Postby BossHog » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:13 pm

Here is as much as I could transcribe of Brunell's press conference:

Joe Gibbs opened the press conference:

on Brunell....

'heckuva player'

'has had a terrific career'

'we feel like we know a lot about him and want to give him a warm welcome.'

Mark brunell then went to the podium:

'Exciting to be standing here'

'Month and a half in the works.'

happy to have an opportunity to be a part of this organization... when I first found out that Gibbs was interested, I iot real excited. I'm committed to getting a trophy like one of those in front of me. (3 Super Bowl Trophies)

I really wants to get up here and get started. I feel like i'm real fortunate.

... on Gibbs hospital trip

it was great, we got to spend two extra hours together, talk football and coach I am glad I got to know you a little better.

(Then this was quite funny)

I heard he (Gibbs) might be weak so i thought what a great chance to negotiate a contract.

... on whether he will approach the season any different

No... do the same every year... goal is the super bowl... ultimate goal is to win a championship

... on his overall experience with Gibbs?

Was great to have him be so involved and interested.

Process has been easy...

... on Patrick

We spoke for the first time this morning... got to know him a little.... gonna spend hours and hours together... looking forward to working together.

... on Jacksonville?

Frustrating -- change in regime. When they drafted Byron i knew I'd have to stay healthy and be successful early. i wasn't. But things worked out for the best i think.

... on being guaranteed the starting position

nothing was guaranteed to me. I am gonna do everything I can to be one of those 11starters that earns the right to play each week.... Gibbs said I WOULD have the OPPORTUNITY to be the starter.

Everywhere you go, you're going to have competition at my position.

My focus is getting the team to the next level and thinking about anything else is just a distraction.

... on running.

Don't run as much anymore but I think I still have the ability to. but I am a better passer, a better leader, and a better player, and while it might not be as flashy, it's more effective.

... on tension with Patrick

No need to have tension. We have the same goals. We should be able to get along even if we are competing for the same job and push each other. I expect it to be a smooth process.

.... on injuries last year and healing

One good thing about being a backup last year was that I had a good rest and all my bumps and bruises are gone and i am as healthy as I have ever been.

That concluded the press conference

Gibbs went to the podium for some pictures with mark. Lavar walked in, and Gibbs pointed him out .... Gibbs made a comment about Lavar saying he wasn't gonna be there until training camp, and then Gibbs laughed and said, Ha Ha... I got ya.

Oh man... Saint Gibbs.

:celebrate:
Last edited by BossHog on Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:33 pm

Just some comments on the press conference as the feeling slowly filters back into my hands...

Mark was very composed, very polite, very confident and very well spoken. He showed excellent leadership qualities just standing there delievring his answers.

He was extremely gracious towards patrick, though extremely diplomatic as well. i fear my short form notes may not convey that.

The bit with lavar at the end was pure classic Gibbs... Lavar tried to sneak into the back of the press room when Brunell finished talking and they started taking pics.

Gibbs picked him out, Lavar tried to hide and was laughing, and Gibbs laughingly said something like, ' I thought you weren't gonna be here until camp started.' obviously referring to Lavar's comments when asked why he hadn't yet spoken to Coach Gibbs.

So then Gibbs as giddy as a schoolboy says... 'ha Ha lavar... we gotcha.'

It was just so playful, it was just such an ice breaker for the two of them to sit down for their first chat, it was just so.... Gibbs.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Postby JPFair » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:48 pm

BH,

Do you think LaVar and Gibbs may have spoken before, and not mentioned it?
Sit back and watch the Redskins.

SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:53 pm

First thing that popped into my head when I read what Boss wrote at the end of his second post here was, "Well, so much for the 'LaVar is furious' rumor that was being toted around last week by ESPN." I guess somebody found the six million missing dollars. Still, Boss is right. Gibbs has obviously disarmed the tension. We have a team coming together here, folks, and it's looking to be a thing of beauty.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:47 pm

I thought Gibbs' best shot at seeing LaVar was sneaking in as an unannounced finalist on Dream Job.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:15 pm

I didn't get to SEE the press conference but I HEARD it and I guess he refered to a jersey... will he be keeping number 8?

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:23 pm

Yup. They had a burgundy #8 all ready for him.

Good thing Hasselbeck's wife makes more than he did.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Hog

Postby BringThePain! » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:28 pm

The best thing I liked about Brunell was that he was confident...not cocky...but confident, and he handled the whole patrick thing very well...It's gonna be nice not having to worry about the QB position for awhile...
**SPECIAL EDITION**

CurveBall - "It might be YOUR biggest game of the year but it really doesn't seem to be as big a deal for Dallas fans anymore."

Oopsies! What's that taste like?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football