So what do we do about the running back situation?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

So what do we do about the running back situation?

Postby skinsfanno9 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:27 pm

So what do we do about the Running back situation? There is no way Sultan makes it to the practice squad - he will be picked up in a New York Jets minute.

I still think Betts can be great, but he's the only one with trade value. If its possible, I'd trade him for a starter.

If its not, then what? I really got sold on Sultan's 15 yard run, that was a thing of Beauty. I think if you cannot move Betts for something high quality, you cut Watson early and let him have a chance to catch on with another team. Betts, Trung and Sultan have the best upsides I think.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:37 pm

We will keep Betts, Watson, Canidsate, and Morton. McCullough won't be picked up by the Jets. It wouldn't make sense to sign a guy for one week's use (Opening Day) and they already have Curtis Martin, so he wouldn't be used a lot, anyway.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:46 pm

I really don't understand the hype around McCullough.

Yeah he's played pretty good... but not good enough to jeopardize the starting RB job or the backup slot (IMO)... and so I'm not sure why we care if he gets plucked from the PS. we already have too many with 4. Morton may be a ST expert but he'll get some time at RB too... especially on 3rd downs. So I dont see much point in having FOUR RB's on the roster PLUS one on the PS.

We hardly ever ran the ball last year remember? That's why the best power back in football was deemed expendable.

IF we traded Betts and kept Morton, Canidate and Watson THEN I'd keep McCullough on the PS, but otherwise... you can't waste one of only 5 spots on a guy that will NEVER get on to the field this year.

You have to try and keep a practice squad that backs up positions... not stores possible future talent.

We need to pull a 'Gibbs' and have Sultan mysteriously blow a kefuffler valve or break an eyelash and end up on the IR if we just want to keep him around for the sake of it.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:01 pm

BossHog wrote:We need to pull a 'Gibbs' and have Sultan mysteriously blow a kefuffler valve or break an eyelash and end up on the IR if we just want to keep him around for the sake of it.

LOL, now that's the best advice I've heard on this. I used to wonder how Gibbs got away with that. I wonder if its still that easy to hide developmental prospects on IR.

Also, the NY Jets minute comment was really a reference the Eagles "New York Minute" song, I added the Jets on there to be cute. I agree a lot of other teams would probably grab him sooner. The Jets runnning problems seem more related to not having a certain gaurd in the lineup...

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:31 pm

haha that Gibbs comment was great. Its true we don't need Sultan with the other 4. Seems like a lot of people think Watson and Betts are easily expendable. Let remember both these guys had one or more 100 yard performances last year....in games that counted. If the injury or slump bug bites Trung we're going to be happy we have them both.

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:54 pm

[size=18] If the RB situation was a little more settled, I would be in favor of making a trade. However, not in the present situation we're in. Say, for example, that Trung does not work out too well, well then we can insert a back up at any time and yet not lose much in production.

Furthermore, my concern for our team, as it relates to the RB situation, is in late Nov. and December. The weather will be brutal during this phsase of the season and we will need a more durable back. And of the choice we have currently, Betts and Sultan appear to be my choices to handle this task.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:54 pm

For some reason or another, watch out for Sulton, he is going to be a back to remember, he has the size and speed and SMARTS to be great, trung is good but how far is he going to go, we need Sulton, I like watson and the rock but I am not sold on them yet, I know that Sulton only played against the second or third string, but for some reason I have a hunch that if we let him go, you will read his name on the espn highlights as a mistake that Dan Synder let go. Just my thoughts. Anything to help the Reskins win is good in my books.
Marc

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:03 pm

Sulton is going to be great. Watson is ok, Betts is better, I'm not sold on Trung, but I am sold on Sulton. Yes he ran against bench warmers, but a hole is a hole and anyone can run through a hole. SHoot Stevie Wonder can run for a TD if you make the whole big enough, lol.

Postby skin4life22 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:41 am

im the biggest skin fan in arizona and no one here has proved me different i just want to say being from here for the last 8 years i had the chance to see Trung C play in college @ U of A against the almighty ASU **keep your eye on them** and homeboy is a gamebreaker he broke my heart a couple of times. believe it I seen him tear up the Pac_10. so they need to keep him, Betts(i need to see more), Watson(he's versatile-all-around back), Morton (gamebreaker),and keep Mac on the P.S.( he's a keeper wasnt a high school prospect for nothing) if no one else works out.

p.s. i took out the big A.Z. bird one on one during C.Baileys rookie year when he returned the 2 tds at sundevil stadium and the &**!!## bird tryed to talk sh*# but i represented for my HOGS skin4life22 baby
amonk, cmann, dmanley, jjacoby,r grimm, w.marshall, m.colmeman, g.clark, r.sanders, ctaylor, dwarren, griggs, kbryant, rogers, byner, cdldier, gmanusky, dgreen, tsmith, bmitchell, jthiesman, dwilliams, mrypien, tallen, sbaugh, sjugenson, jbostic, kharvey, shuff, jlachey, mmay, nolewickz, rmckenzie, m.mosely, dbutz, mwestbrook, cbailey, fsmoot, larrington, sdavis, jjansen, csamuels, and the guy that made me a skin4life22 JOHN RIGGINS

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:56 am

The relative order of the backs is rather inconsequential to the overall fact that we have 4 capable guys and no superstars... exactly what this offense requires.

I hope that Trung will separate himself from the pack and be our goto guy. He has great potential especially in a speed offense. Now he just has to prove that he can be a #1 back and that he's lost his fumble problems behind.

Betts will hopefully be our short yardage back and 'late in the game, ball control' back.

Morton could be our third down back as well as ST man extraordinaire.

Watson can back up both Betts and Canidate as well as constantly push them both for playing time.

IMO, Sultan will be on the practice squad, unless we trade Betts for a DT (which is looking like a thing of the past).

We don't have Stephen Davis, but we do have a good RB corps to play the Fun 'N gun with.

Saddle up... just 9 days to go before the regular season.

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:16 am

Good Takes Boss!

I suppose the RB situation will mean little if Patrick and the O/Line don't do their job.

At this point, frankly, I am more concerned about our steady QB play than our Back play.

Oh, and by the way, if any skin's fan sees the license plate in So. Cal.: SKNS NFL, that is me.

Anyone have thoughts on the J'ville game?
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:19 am

... we'll just be looking to evaluate some fringe players and get our starters out of there as quickly as possible, I hope.

I vote for sending the offense out for a drive and if they score... yank 'em.

We will have to let the defense play a little longer to continue to evaluate DT's in true 'game-like' situations and determine who fills what roles in the 'rotation' system.

Cause the week after JAX is the REAL DEAL!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football