The NFL Sends Confusing Messages in Salary Cap Penalties

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby Shaner021 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Per Adam Schefter a statement from the Redskins:

Redskins: "Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods (was) approved by the NFL commissioner’s office."

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/sta ... 2981159937

Translation: Suck it, NFL.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:32 pm

#f the NFL bodies responsible. Thanks for.affirming my belief that the fo wasn't the ones "responsible"
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Just another bump this team hits ridding itself of the bums that took up locker room and cap space. Ah well at least we still have options
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:49 pm

From Bruce Allen

“The Washington Redskins have received no written documentation from the NFL concerning adjustments to the team salary cap in 2012 as reported in various media outlets. Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods complied with the 2010 and 2011 collective bargaining agreements and, in fact, were approved by the NFL commissioner’s office. We look forward to free agency, the draft and the coming football season.”

Looks like they want the Skins to give up $36M in cap space over the next two years. It can be split up anyway the team wants to, that team in Texas has to give up $10M over two years.

Allen's statement sounds like he wants to give up $0M this yer and $0M next year.

This is basically for front loading so many deals, the Saints and Raiders did the same thing but aren't being punished in the same way as the Skins... they won't lose any money but won't get any of the money the Redskins and ttiT have to give up.

That's all I got right now.... when I know more I let everyone know. This morning I had the Skins with $25,810,437 to spend, taking into account the $3.46M they will need for performance based pay and the $7MI excluded for incoming rookies.

If the give back half what the NFL and NFLPA agreed that the need to that would drop the spending amount to $11M with the release of Sellers and OJ.

I'll be Back
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Am I the only person that breathed a sigh of relief after seeing Redskin1 posting? LOL
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:01 pm

The Cowboys released a simliar statement.

It is time for an unholy alliance.

Hog

Re: The NFL Sends Confusing Messages in Salary Cap Penalties

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Shaner021 wrote:Redskins' fans,

The NFL is sending fans confusing messages by penalizing the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins for "manipulating" the 2010 uncapped year.

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance ... penalties/

I personally don't get it, but I'm sure the NFL lawyers have already determined the legality of it all.

Shane
Dude......wtf, right under your thread there is a thread about the EXACT same topic. ](*,)
Hail Robert Griffin III!

21 Sean Taylor will never be forgotten.....

Re: The NFL Sends Confusing Messages in Salary Cap Penalties

Postby Shaner021 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:09 pm

PickSixerTWSS wrote:Dude......wtf, right under your thread there is a thread about the EXACT same topic. ](*,)

Sorry!

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:17 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Your right bro. I am back already from shut down mode. Here is a good article about the whole thing. http://nfl.si.com/2012/03/12/nfl-hits-c ... cap-space/

The thing we have to remember that really helps us in this crappy situation is that we did have plenty of cap space to begin with. Also remember that the penalty can be split over two years. The penalty split over two years does not have to be 50/50 either. So our FO does have flexibility on how to take on this penalty. I think a 50/50 split would be the best way. But our FO has the choice of how the penalty will be split 25/75, 50/50, 75/25 whatever..

One more point. I think our FO knew this was coming. I think they knew a punishment was coming just not how severe it would be. They prepared for it the best they could by increasing the cap number as much as it could have.

So believe it or not. If my "calculations" are correct. Right now we stand at about. 50 million minus 18 million equals 32 million under the cap. We got about 4million more after releasing Atogwe and Sellers. We should be right around 32 million under the cap if we decide to do a fifty/fifty hit on the penalty. 1Niksider would love your input on this. I think I am mostly right though.

And next years cap number goes up tremendously so we will have a bit of a cusion there as well
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:19 pm

This seems to sum it up....

Before the uncapped year of 2010, the NFL told the teams “at least six times” not to dump salaries into the uncapped year. But any agreement among the teams aimed at limiting spending in the uncapped year constitutes clear and obvious collusion.

The league approved the contracts when submitted because the union would have cried foul if the NFL had tried to apply limits to the uncapped year that didn’t exist in the CBA. All along, the league planned to serve up a cold plate of salary-cap revenge against the Cowboys and Redskins at a later date, at a time when the union would be inclined to agree to an after-the-fact effort to punish anyone who opted not to limit the players’ supply of cash in the months before the lockout.

In hindsight, the league’s effort to penalize the Redskins and Cowboys (and to a lesser extent the Raiders and Saints) proves that the NFL indeed had a plan in place to keep spending low, by not signing restricted free agents to offer sheets and/or by hiding behind internal budgets to justify a failure to aggressively spend in unrestricted free agency.

Or, as in the case of the Cowboys and Redskins, discouraging teams from taking advantage of the rules that applied at the time.

The union has opted not to pick at old scars, in large part because the league’s willingness to bump up the 2012 salary cap from $116 million to $120.6 million likely averted a mutiny against NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, whose contract expires this month.

The the procedure for challenging the action isn’t clear, but the Cowboys and Redskins should fight. Though the NFL deftly persuaded the players to agree with the plan, the Cowboys and Redskins are being penalized for one simple reality.

They refused to engage in collusion.

Link
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:19 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:According to the carry over thread we might be around 45 million in cap space

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37552

What about this thread redskins1?? Shouldn't we be closer to 45 before said bonuses and rookie contracts?

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:34 pm

This is atrocious. I don't care if the League warned everyone 100 times; using nonspecific language that can be interpreted any number of ways was totally irresponsible. And on top of that, the NFL explicitly approved everything that we did at the time. There is no way to justify this bull crap ex post evaluation.

I'm stunned.

Either make a rule or don't. Don't hand wave in a direction and say "don't go too far over there!" and then expect to be able to dish out punishment two years later for any offenses you "discover."

Especially if, when people at the time kept asking "have I gone too far?" you tell them "Nope, you're fine!"

:explode:

Man, I hate Goodell. I guess it could be worse, but he is one dud of a commissioner. If this ends up costing us a legit franchise quarterback, I don't think I'll ever forgive the NFL for this. This is a massive screw up on their part.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:43 pm

But Bruce said that the NFL hasn't even contacted them and that they're proceeding along normally... Who are we to believe?

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:This is atrocious. I don't care if the League warned everyone 100 times; using nonspecific language that can be interpreted any number of ways was totally irresponsible. And on top of that, the NFL explicitly approved everything that we did at the time. There is no way to justify this bull crap ex post evaluation.

I'm stunned.

Either make a rule or don't. Don't hand wave in a direction and say "don't go too far over there!" and then expect to be able to dish out punishment two years later for any offenses you "discover."

Especially if, when people at the time kept asking "have I gone too far?" you tell them "Nope, you're fine!"

:explode:

Man, I hate Goodell. I guess it could be worse, but he is one dud of a commissioner. If this ends up costing us a legit franchise quarterback, I don't think I'll ever forgive the NFL for this. This is a massive screw up on their part.

+1...i agree completely

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 pm

This is from a Football Outsiders article in 2010, written by J I Halsel, who is a salary cap expert and spent time working for the Management Council and the Redskins...

As I’ve previously written, given the uncertainty of what 2011 holds, clubs who take advantage of the uncapped year by incurring high team salaries in 2010 run the risk of possibly being penalized in 2011 as part of a new salary cap and CBA. Clearly, this is a risk the Redskins are willing to take -- or perhaps they know something the rest of us don’t.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2010/under-cap-redskins-utilizing-uncapped-year
Suck and Luck

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football