The NFL Sends Confusing Messages in Salary Cap Penalties

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:But Bruce said that the NFL hasn't even contacted them and that they're proceeding along normally... Who are we to believe?

The NFL put out a statement confirming it.
Suck and Luck

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:12 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:According to the carry over thread we might be around 45 million in cap space

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37552

What about this thread redskins1?? Shouldn't we be closer to 45 before said bonuses and rookie contracts?

Since then they've re-signed Montgomery and Scott, tagged Davis and tendered Gano and Kory L.

Back to this possibly mess, this is from the League office

"The Management Council Executive Committee determined that the contract practices of a small number of clubs during the 2010 league year created an unacceptable risk to future competitive balance, particularly in light of the relatively modest salary cap growth projected for the new agreement's early years," the NFL said in a statement.

"To remedy these effects and preserve competitive balance throughout the league, the parties to the CBA agreed to adjustments to team salary for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. These agreed-upon adjustments were structured in a manner that will not affect the salary cap or player spending on a league-wide basis."

Again every contract was approved by that office... Are they saying these teams are being punished for contracts they approved? So why were they approved in the first place?

The answer is the same for both questions, disapproving those contracts would have proven the teams were keeping contracts low and had a set way of doing business in place or in other words COLLUSION. The NFLPA would have been all over the NFL.

Why did the NFLPA agree to this?

The NFLPA doesn't care, because the NFL is taking the money and spreading it among the rest of the teams in the cap pool. The players lose nothing.

There's a fight coming and the NFL is taking on the wrong two owners on this one
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:But Bruce said that the NFL hasn't even contacted them and that they're proceeding along normally... Who are we to believe?

The NFL put out a statement confirming it.
That's not the same as informing the team, now, is it?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 pm

Yeah, basically there's 30 owners who colluded against the NFLPA by refusing to re-work deals and pay players in 2011 to save future cap room. The Redskins and Cowboys refused.

The Redskins should fight tooth and nail against this. They would most likely settle, out of court, for a LOT less than a $36 million cap penalty.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Al Davis

Postby rskin72 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Well, I don't know that I would confuse Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones with Al Davis' penchant for tweaking the nose of the NFL when he could......but certainly I hope our owners do not roll over and play dead for this...if we have all the facts.

Anyone have Lowell "The Hammer" Stanley's number handy?

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Yeah, basically there's 30 owners who colluded against the NFLPA by refusing to re-work deals and pay players in 2011 to save future cap room. The Redskins and Cowboys refused.

The Redskins should fight tooth and nail against this. They would most likely settle, out of court, for a LOT less than a $36 million cap penalty.

4 teams..... JaMarcus Russell"s contract put the Raiders in hot water and I'm not sure what got the Saints caught up in this, Fat Albert and D Hall getting re-structured is what hurt the Skins the most. None of these teams broke any rules. They're being punished for not following the rules to break the law.

This is a no win for the NFL, but may make Jerruh and "the Danny" outcast in the end.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:32 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:This is from a Football Outsiders article in 2010, written by J I Halsel, who is a salary cap expert and spent time working for the Management Council and the Redskins...

As I’ve previously written, given the uncertainty of what 2011 holds, clubs who take advantage of the uncapped year by incurring high team salaries in 2010 run the risk of possibly being penalized in 2011 as part of a new salary cap and CBA. Clearly, this is a risk the Redskins are willing to take -- or perhaps they know something the rest of us don’t.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2010/under-cap-redskins-utilizing-uncapped-year

The problem is that even though the risk was known, the NFL neither made any specific rules to make clear what would constitute unfair salary shuffles or (as best as we can tell) advised teams that they thought were crossing the line. In the meantime they approved everything the Skins did. It's just not a coherent policy.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Does this make sense?

I've seen $36 M split over the next 2 years any way we want - 25/75, 50/50, 75/25, whateva.

:-k

Theoretically we could go 0/100.

:idea:

So tomorrow when FA starts we can basically proceed as planned and we have a whole year to fight this. Monkey

Let's roll baby! :up:

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm

There were unwritten rules with the owners durring the uncapped season. All NFL owners voted to penalize the Skins and Cowboys. As much as I hate this. We shot our selves in the foot. What really sucks is the Saints cuts that year didn't piss off the owners.
R.I.P. Taylor!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Unwritten rules are not rules at all. The MLB had an unwritten rule saying that when a player was on waivers pending a sale to a Japanese club, other teams would allow them to pass unimpeded. The Red Sox broke this rule in 2003.

There was a lot of hand wringing, and caterwauling but at the end of the day people just went about their business because the team found a loophole. The Redskins did nothing wrong, the NFLPA even agrees, but they were bullied into going along with this by the NFL.

Roger Goodell is a clown and should be run out of the league.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm

So let's say Jerruh and Snyder do sue the NFL; then what?

Sure maybe they don't have to pay the fines in cap space, but it's kinda like the old adage "you could call 'holding' on every play".

Even if you win, the League will only find some other way to bend you over; maybe they do start to call 'holding' on every play. Maybe they find some other minor infraction and become maliciously compliant in enforcing the rules.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for Snyder going after these S.O.B's but at the end of the day, I'd say we're still gonna get screwed. It's not right and it's not fair, but the league hasn't cut us any slack in the last 20-years why should they start now?

I hope some out there come to the startling revelation that "hey, if the league can do this to the Redskins and Cowboys, what happens when they try to do it to the team I like?" I hope the league takes this as a huge black eye from the media, fans, and maybe even a few other owners with a guilty conscience (or a shred of self preservation) and backs off before Snyder and Jerruh have to cry havoc.

You want to talk about disparity in punishment? The Patriots cheated their way to three Super Bowl wins (notice they haven't won any since they were caught). They didn't violate some back door code, they broke actual rules with specific wording and continued to do so even after being warned repeatedly.

Where was the NFL's sense of justice then? I don't recall the NFL hitting up the Patriot's for a quarter of their salary cap space. I know they lost one of their draft picks (of the 13 they had that year). What else? A million dollars or so in fines? (I really don't remember, but I know it wasn't $36-million)
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Even though the Skins had a ton of cap space I wanted them to take a measured approach to FA. Now I want them to be aggressive, full most of their holes, and flip the NFL the bird!

I want them to go out and get every FA that they planning on signing before this and tell the league to bugger off!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:57 pm

cowboyhater4life wrote:There were unwritten rules with the owners durring the uncapped season. All NFL owners voted to penalize the Skins and Cowboys. As much as I hate this. We shot our selves in the foot. What really sucks is the Saints cuts that year didn't piss off the owners.

That's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Smithian wrote:My guess is this was announced so close to the start of FA so that the Redskin and Cowboys would have limited time to respond legally.

We need to get an injunction to put a hold on this punishment until it can be reviewed legally.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:46 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Even though the Skins had a ton of cap space I wanted them to take a measured approach to FA. Now I want them to be aggressive, full most of their holes, and flip the NFL the bird!

I want them to go out and get every FA that they planning on signing before this and tell the league to bugger off!

From what I hear that's the plan
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football