Where can RGIII improve?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 am

emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I think RGIII improves most by allowing the playbook to become 2nd nature to him.


And then becoming expert at reading coverages and alignments designed to stop his team's offense and him. I'm looking for that expertise to start showing itself in year 2, really, because that has got to take some time.


It's definitely a layered process. He'll benefit from teams not knowing how to gameplan for him early on in his rookie year. In year two, your point comes into play because his tendencies will be well-documented. He will have to rise above and really learn to read the coverages and where that will dictate his progression.

The funny thing is, he's already talking about that, he mentioned this exact thing at the rookie minicamp. He's ahead of the curve, at least in acknowledging what he needs to do to succeed.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1961
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:16 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I think RGIII improves most by allowing the playbook to become 2nd nature to him.


And then becoming expert at reading coverages and alignments designed to stop his team's offense and him. I'm looking for that expertise to start showing itself in year 2, really, because that has got to take some time.


It's definitely a layered process. He'll benefit from teams not knowing how to gameplan for him early on in his rookie year. In year two, your point comes into play because his tendencies will be well-documented. He will have to rise above and really learn to read the coverages and where that will dictate his progression.


Yeah, i saw where he acknowledged that and stole my "Insight" from him on that one. I think he'll benefit tremendously, and have his growing pains most significantly, in his second games against NFC East foes this year.
The funny thing is, he's already talking about that, he mentioned this exact thing at the rookie minicamp. He's ahead of the curve, at least in acknowledging what he needs to do to succeed.
Last edited by emoses14 on Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Wed May 09, 2012 8:38 pm

well since I have been taught here by a bunch of average schmoes on the Internet that a person should never compare one qb who is black to another qb who is black because thats just unfair and simplistic and it's impossible for one black qb to be similar to another one and there is no way possible for there not to be some sort of underlying racial undertones there and it is just implausible to suggest a correlation in these modern times because we've come so far and we should not be relying on same color comparisons today and it's insulting to even suggest it.....I have found a perfect alternative comparion to rg3.

no, sorry, im not selecting Aaron Rodgers or Steve young or any other hall of famer you so unracially and unbiasedly dream to make him into.....

nope.

Like RG3, he was coached by art briles in college.
like rg3, he had one signature collegiate season.
similar build as rg3 (thin frame for NFL standards)
put up eerily similar numbers as rg3 in his senior season including 3800 yards, 30 Tds, 4 ints)


Kevin kolb.

doesn't it suck to know that Kevin kolb had the same passing success in that offense in college? yeah, your silence. = the answer.

so there you have it. Kevin kolb. man, 3 firsts and a high second. I dunno, we'll have to see if rg3 can stay healthier than kolb has been able to in the pros.

owned.

the 'mudge
Online
Posts: 14527
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 09, 2012 8:48 pm

dftt
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
Posts: 2240
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I think RGIII improves most by allowing the playbook to become 2nd nature to him.


And then becoming expert at reading coverages and alignments designed to stop his team's offense and him. I'm looking for that expertise to start showing itself in year 2, really, because that has got to take some time.


It's definitely a layered process. He'll benefit from teams not knowing how to gameplan for him early on in his rookie year. In year two, your point comes into play because his tendencies will be well-documented. He will have to rise above and really learn to read the coverages and where that will dictate his progression.

The funny thing is, he's already talking about that, he mentioned this exact thing at the rookie minicamp. He's ahead of the curve, at least in acknowledging what he needs to do to succeed.



Exactly, that is why they call it softmore blues. I have a good feeling about it.

08 Champ
Posts: 13223
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu May 10, 2012 8:22 am

We often look at what other players did but the fact is that every now and then a player comes along that is just special

this player is one of those - he is driven to succeed and he'll have great guidance because these guys know how important RGIII is to both their future and this franchise

there has to be a learning curve and getting comfortable with the players around him and the offensive game plan will take time

but

RGIII will show that he is a lot better than anyone expects - especially when compared to other QBs that played


RGIII is VERY special
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL


Week 2 - 17-15

DarthMonk
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 am

For some reason I felt the need to examine Kevin Kolb. He must be tiny by NFL standards (like Aaron Rodgers and Troy Aikman) because he has suffered from turf toe and was concussed by Clay Matthews. Probably couldn't get away with his blazing 4.85 40 speed.

:roll:

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1961
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:12 am

DarthMonk wrote:For some reason I felt the need to examine Kevin Kolb. He must be tiny by NFL standards (like Aaron Rodgers and Troy Aikman) because he has suffered from turf toe and was concussed by Clay Matthews. Probably couldn't get away with his blazing 4.85 40 speed.

:roll:

DarthMonk


That's so strange, I had that same tickle thought, to examine Kevin Kolb, last night. Then, I realized I was at the bottom of a bottle of Bookers and it was the alcohol talking. Damn moonshine!
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ
Posts: 13223
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu May 10, 2012 9:15 am

RGIII is going to be a lot harder to get to

however

when defensive players do get a chance to hit him, you can bet that they will try to make up for that
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL


Week 2 - 17-15

the 'mudge
Online
Posts: 14527
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Thu May 10, 2012 9:17 am

You must learn to ignore the evil voices that speak the language of ethanol...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Pushing Paper
Posts: 4599
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Postby PulpExposure » Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 am

The Kolb comparison could work...if someone did their homework. Both QBs started 3 years. Both had very good 3rd years starting, though RG3's was far better. Where it differs is that Kolb had a distinctly mediocre year in his second year starting (60.5% completion, 19 TDs, 15 INTs), whereas RG3's second year starting was excellent (67% completion, 22 TDs, 8 INTs).

Not comparable. But again, intellectual dishonesty is the hallmark of certain posters on this board, so I shouldn't be surprised there.

the 'mudge
Online
Posts: 14527
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Thu May 10, 2012 9:41 am

^ +1...

intellectual dishonesty works for some...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1961
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 am

Countertrey wrote:You must learn to ignore the evil voices that speak the language of ethanol...


Voices speaking the language of ethanol, agreed.

The smooth and powerful beauty that is Bookers?

-drinking
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 am

Not sure what Kevin Kolb has anything to do with "Where can RGIII improve?" or is that no longer the topic?

DarthMonk
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 am

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:Not sure what Kevin Kolb has anything to do with "Where can RGIII improve?" or is that no longer the topic?


Apparently RGIII could improve by becoming less tiny. Apparently this would help him avoid concussions and turf toe since he so resembles Kevin Kolb.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football