Why Would You Draft Another QB ?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piglet

Postby bigricky » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:43 am

In the 1989 supplemental draft the Cowboys drafted Steve Walsh. They used a number 1 overall pick to do it when they had already drafted future HOF'er Troy Aikman. This never bothered Aikman and look where he is now.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:12 am

funsho2 wrote:
JiveTurkee wrote:Drafting Cousins was a smart move. It gives them protection against injury. (Sorry John Beck didn't cut it). And if RGIII goes down and Cousins shines, then he would get offers from other teams and the Redskins could trade for some draft picks in the future. Jimmy Johnson did it in '89 w/Aikman and Walsh. Then traded Walsh away for some draft picks. Someone brought up Lynn Dickey and Dan Pastorini. Same thing.

The question is how come we didn't hear this with carolina when they drafted newton...knowing he can run too....they freaking had jimmy clausen as his backup for God sake ....how come we don't hear about this with andrew luck....Its like you guys are foreseeing Rg3 going down ,...i mean wtf...the rationale doesn't make any sense...with the amount of QBs redskins have had over the years i am sure we could have found a good insurance policy QB to be a backup.....It is not a priority that is my point and you guys keep defending the pick.

Did you read my response earlier? You draft players when they are available. You can fill your holes with the FAs. Why do you think it has to be the other way around?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:49 am

Shanahan had a chance to snatch up a QB he probably had a second or late first round grade on. Cousins is accurate and smart in the pocket... but more importantly: he's a leader.

He was a leader for the Spartans and that's what we need on the Redskins. A backup QB who will keep the team in line, and practice every day and prepare himself to start every week... even though he'll be on the bench.

If Cousins pans out, we can even trade him like Cassel or Shaub or one of the many backups who teams traded for 1st or 2nd round picks.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

piggie

Postby jr_uscg » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:11 am

I was hoping we would select another QB. I was pulling for Russell Wilson, just didn't make it to the later rounds. Cousins will give us some depth and competition for the number two spot. God knows we need it. If he doesn't make it he can sit a year on the practice squad. Grossman's days are running out.
Semper Paratus
Hail to the Redskins

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:27 am

The topic of the post asks a simple question and the answer is just as simple:

Because we needed one more.

Simple as that. We had RGIII, RG3INT, and no future backup to take over for RG3Int.

Look I'm sure Mike and Kyle really didn't want to bring Rex back this year, but he based the most sense to back up RGIII this year. Drafting James Tuberous Kirk was an investment in the future, a Rex-less future!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

kazoo

Re: Why Would You Draft Another QB ?

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 am

the poster wrote:instead they could have used that puck on a potential starting RT, NT, or player at a number or weak positions

A fourth round pick a potential starter? It's extremely rare that a fourth round plus rookie would be a starter. Do you follow football at all?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:39 am

funsho2 wrote:The question is how come we didn't hear this with carolina when they drafted newton...knowing he can run too....

Quality quarterbacks have frail egos, fear competition and grow on trees, so we only need one quarterback on the roster who can play the position. If he struggles or is injured then and only then do we go out and replace him, which is easy because they grow on trees.

Your point is noted.

I do believe you're a Redskin fan, but I am perplexed that a fan of a team that started 21 quarterbacks in 19 years would throw a rod over the idea of having two good young quarterbacks on the roster.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:43 am

jr_uscg wrote:I was hoping we would select another QB. I was pulling for Russell Wilson, just didn't make it to the later rounds. Cousins will give us some depth and competition for the number two spot. God knows we need it. If he doesn't make it he can sit a year on the practice squad. Grossman's days are running out.

Practice squad isn't an option, he'd be picked up. He'll be on the roster.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 am

With this stuff about the Panthers not drafting a QB this year - let's not forget that they drafted Clausen (3rd Round) the year before Cam Newton and the Browns, this year, spending a number 1 on a QB who is older than the one they spent a number three on to years ago. When a team is not happy with their starter (Grossman) and the back up (Grossman is fine this year, but do you really what a back up who averages two picks a game for his career?), then you find two talented QBs. How you do it doesn't matter. What matters is making sure, whether it is draft or FA, the guy is talented enough to do the job for the short run and the long run.

A better debate would be - Is Cousins talented enough to be a worthy back up and potential starter somewhere in the future?

My answer is yes.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/2/1 ... ing-report

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:13 am

I still contend that Grossman is a good backup. I also think Cousins is much better, higher upside, and could be used in a trade down the road. The average percentage of finding a starter in the 4th round is 25%. I think the chance that someday he becomes a starter is higher and if he does, we will benefit. If no one else gave us a higher chance of contributing, then I'm fine with it. I'm not in the draft room and have no idea who else they were looking at. Oh and by the way, no trolls were in there either.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 am

I see no problem with the pick. RGIII is not a gaurantee. He comes from a spread offense and has small hands. Cousins should have been gone by our pick in the 4th. By the fourth round, you are looking for VALUE.

If/When RGIII works out, he may be used as very good trade bait moving forward.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:38 am

FireVinny wrote:Am I required to have an extreme opinion on this?

I haven't heard anyone or read any posts by anyone who thinks this was just a so-so pick. I don't love the pick, but I get the rationale, and I think it might work out OK. Am I allowed to have such a neutral opinion?

I think this is one of the best posts in this thread so far. I had pretty much the same reaction to the pick yesterday. I was surprised, probably wasn't my first choice, but I get the reasoning. If it works out well, its kind of a genius move.

I disagree slightly with what some of you are saying about the competition aspect. Clearly, RGIII is not in danger of losing his job to Cousins the year. But I still think a QB like Cousins in camp will have a positive, competitive effect on RGIII. You can bet Cousins is going to be there working his butt off. It should be good motivation for RGIII.

Also, I've been wondering about the two QBs on the roster issue. I know its a longshot, but wouldn't it be something if Cousins manages to edge out Rex this summer?

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:49 am

riggofan wrote:
FireVinny wrote:Am I required to have an extreme opinion on this?

I haven't heard anyone or read any posts by anyone who thinks this was just a so-so pick. I don't love the pick, but I get the rationale, and I think it might work out OK. Am I allowed to have such a neutral opinion?

I think this is one of the best posts in this thread so far. I had pretty much the same reaction to the pick yesterday. I was surprised, probably wasn't my first choice, but I get the reasoning. If it works out well, its kind of a genius move.

I disagree slightly with what some of you are saying about the competition aspect. Clearly, RGIII is not in danger of losing his job to Cousins the year. But I still think a QB like Cousins in camp will have a positive, competitive effect on RGIII. You can bet Cousins is going to be there working his butt off. It should be good motivation for RGIII.

Also, I've been wondering about the two QBs on the roster issue. I know its a longshot, but wouldn't it be something if Cousins manages to edge out Rex this summer?

I think he will edge out Rex, maybe not this summer but before the season ends. Shanny told RGIII that Cousins was being drafted and called him a long term insurance policy. That sounds like Rex is in competition for his roster spot if they only keep two QBs, but I think they'll keep 3 this year
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:23 pm

1niksder wrote:I think he will edge out Rex, maybe not this summer but before the season ends. Shanny told RGIII that Cousins was being drafted and called him a long term insurance policy. That sounds like Rex is in competition for his roster spot if they only keep two QBs, but I think they'll keep 3 this year

I agree, I think the plan ultimately is to go with RG3 and Cousins the next few years. But this year there's no way we have only two rookie QBs.

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Most of us hopes RG3 starts the season as the starter so we all must be willing to deal with up and down play that comes with having a rookie QB starting. Knowing there will be up and down play with RG3 I would be fine with a rookie QB backing him up "IF" he can show he can play just as good or better than Rex. We put up with Rex's up and down play last year so why not just keep two rookies who should get better with playing time. Maybe I'm just thinking crazy but I think it would work out just the same.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football