Redskins offensive line thoughts

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue May 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Josh LeRibeus was a bit of a surprise pick by the Washington Redskins in the third round. At the time, I thought the best explanation was that Mike Shanahan looks for certain types of offensive linemen for his zone-blocking run game, and that consequently he may evaluate linemen differently than other teams do. We come to find out, in the wake of last weekend's rookie minicamp, that that was part of the reason and another part was that Shanahan believes LeRibeus can play center as well as guard. LeRibeus worked exclusively at center during the three-day minicamp, per Mike Jones:
The position wasn’t completely foreign to LeRibeus. He had never played it in a game at SMU, but he served as backup center in practice. And to make himself more versatile, LeRibeus spent the months leading up to the draft working on his snaps.

So LeRibeus said he didn't encounter many problems at minicamp.

"Luckily I've been working on those snaps, so it wasn't any trouble," the lineman said. "The playbook's huge, but they have a way of teaching it, and coach Foerster is great and I'm picking it up fine."

Shanahan said that he didn't see any problems, either.

"He picked it up in one day like he's been doing it his whole career. But he worked on it during the season," Shanahan said. "I talked to [SMU coach] June Jones, and he said, 'Mike, if our center goes down, he's the first guy to go in.' So, when you practice it throughout your career, usually it's pretty easy."

The Redskins had a depth problem on the line last year, and the general consensus seems to be that they didn't do much to address it this offseason. They still have an issue at right tackle if Jammal Brown can't get over his hip problems. But if LeRibeus does pick up the offense quickly, they might have more options than they did last year in the interior of the line. They could play LeRibeus at center and Will Montgomery at left guard if Kory Lichctensteiger needs more time to recover from his injury. Or they could play LeRibeus at left guard if they like what they see from Montgomery at center. Or they could keep the rookie in a reserve role from which he's able to step in and play center or either guard spot if they lose a starter at one of those positions.

The Redskins apparently targeted LeRibeus because of his versatility (and because of a strong recommendation from Shanahan's buddy June Jones), and have plans for him that might venture beyond the immediately obvious.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue May 08, 2012 5:12 pm

THIS!

Awesome!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Tue May 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Shanahan is the anti-Vinny. Nice to see the team rebuilding the line. Football is pretty simple. Build a great offensive line and defensive line and you'll find success. Some guys just have to prove themselves smarter than everyone else by going against the grain. I'd say Vinny and Danny fit in this category. Glad to see we have a smarter front office now.

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Wed May 09, 2012 2:34 am

We're moving in the right direction on the O-line, but it's not fixed yet I don't think. As the article mentions, RT is still not very deep with injury concerns before the OTAs and Training Camp even. But I guess it's baby steps.

I am also worried with a rookie QB, even RGIII, of him getting too much pressure:
1) Kyle's playcalling will provide plenty of sack opportunities against us.
2) RGIII was sacked frequently in college despite his speed and agility - that is, he is not immune to sacks.
3) Should RGIII be knocked around a lot, it provides more chances for him to get injured or even get out on the run where he could get injured like Vick does every season.

I think we'll be okay this year, but I still want to see more investments in the O-line for the next year or two for sure, especially to protect our prized asset in RGIII.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed May 09, 2012 8:09 am

This is why I can't stand people who throw a BF after every pick. You have NO IDEA why they're making these moves, none of us do. There's more to it than picking BPA at every pick. There's more to it than following Kipers draft board and then running on here to whine. These guys have a plan and you/I aren't privy to it.

As more info comes out, I'm loving this pick more and more.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:This is why I can't stand people who throw a BF after every pick. You have NO IDEA why they're making these moves, none of us do. There's more to it than picking BPA at every pick. There's more to it than following Kipers draft board and then running on here to whine. These guys have a plan and you/I aren't privy to it.

Unless you are SkinsJock!

Totally agree with your comment. Blows my mind how everybody in DC knows more about football than the coach with the two super bowl rings.

What is a BF btw?

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Wed May 09, 2012 8:49 am

riggofan wrote:What is a BF btw?

A type of (hissy) "fit" most associated with a "female dog." :up:
"Givin'em the Business!"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 09, 2012 10:40 am

I agree with Chris - this FO is VERY cogniscant of both what they have and what they need

the offensive line is not suddenly becoming great with great quality depth .... it will take time

I think some of us saw progress at the end of last season and that group will be better AND get more support

this FO has a plan and they know the type of players they need

it would not surprise me at all, if they are NOT the players that the media (OR many fans here) think we should have added :wink:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby the poster » Wed May 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:This is why I can't stand people who throw a BF after every pick. You have NO IDEA why they're making these moves, none of us do. There's more to it than picking BPA at every pick. There's more to it than following Kipers draft board and then running on here to whine. These guys have a plan and you/I aren't privy to it. e.

everyone has a plan. big deal. that's not the point. is the plan working - that's the million dollar question.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I agree with Chris - this FO is VERY cogniscant of both what they have and what they need

the offensive line is not suddenly becoming great with great quality depth .... it will take time

I think some of us saw progress at the end of last season and that group will be better AND get more support

this FO has a plan and they know the type of players they need

it would not surprise me at all, if they are NOT the players that the media (OR many fans here) think we should have added :wink:

I am starting to see things fall in place myself. When I was a teenager I saw Joe do it with 3 different QBs and they weren't really super stars. I saw the 9ers have a good run last year with out a superstar QB. I am excited though. We haven't had a QB like this ever. :) HTTR

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:22 pm

LeRibeus looked excellent while subbing for Licht. He was the "Zen Pancaker" (all rights reserved) taking guys where they wanted to go and then helping them to the ground. Very impressive.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football