Lichtensteiger's knee scoped - What Shape is the O Line in?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
-----------

Postby Smithian » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:05 pm

The O-Line will be rough but once Chester gets back in there and (if) Kory L gets back going then the O-Line will be serviceable.

Remember the Redskins lost 18 million in cap room this offseason due to not colluding. The Skins had to make do in some areas.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Keim's Colt Game Review of the Offense. Quotes are some of his comments on the O line - LINK
Chester made a big difference at right guard. And I’ll also say that Adam Gettis looked more comfortable facing the backups. But more about Chester. On the second play of the game, he hit defensive tackle Moala off the line, moving him back a couple yards and then headed to the linebacker. Polumbus then had a clean cut block attempt of Moala. Polumbus failed to get him on the ground, but Chester had done his part. Later in that same drive Chester’s patience resulted in two blocks. First he stayed on Moala long enough for Polumbus to take over and then went to the linebacker for another block on a five-yard run to the left.

14. Polumbus did not have a bad game last week; he did have a couple bad plays. For the most part Saturday he looked good. He wasn’t perfect, but he was effective and the plays with Chester show why cohesion is so important in this scheme. Polumbus had trouble on one pass set, allowing linebacker Jerry Hughes to get upfield and then inside, but the tackle was able to save the play and allow Griffin to throw the ball. But Polumbus did a nice job vs. Dwight Freeney on one rush (the 18-yard pass to Pierre Garcon). Freeney, who does not look comfortable as an outside ‘backer in a 3-4 yet, tried to speed rush him, but Polumbus rode him upfield and out of trouble. Freeney, rushing from a two-point stance, got too high on the play. On the next play, Polumbus was initially pushed back off the line, but he recovered and drove his man to the ground. One play later he reached the linebacker on Morris’ two-yard touchdown run.

15. Center Will Montgomery’s shotgun snaps are inconsistent. But even with the bad one’s Saturday, they were faster than a year ago. Of course, when the QB is in the pistol formation they’re only four yards off the ball rather than five to seven yards back. Montgomery’s snaps haven’t been a big issue this summer, but they were, uh, off Saturday. Griffin’s athleticism saved the play twice. First, on a snap that took .40 seconds because it was high, Griffin jumped, came down and hit tight end Chris Cooley for a completion (despite all this, Griffin still got the ball off in 1.70 seconds). On Griffin’s four-yard touchdown pass to Santana Moss, the ball was not only high but to the left. Griffin, in shotgun formation five yards deep, already was stepping to his right to get out on the sprint rollout. He grabbed the ball (.38 on the snap), sprinted and completed the pass.

Promising observation from Keim. To me, the key thing that he pointed out is the need for cohesion in this scheme. With Kory coming back, hopefully ready to go, cohesion will be basically acheived. Kory will be back with Trent and Monty and Chester and Polumbus played together last year along side Monty. This is not a Super Bowl line, but if the patchwork job that we ended up with last year could finish the season well. This unit, with a quick release QB, can do even better.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Keim's Colt Game Review of the Offense. Quotes are some of his comments on the O line - LINK
Chester made a big difference at right guard. And I’ll also say that Adam Gettis looked more comfortable facing the backups. But more about Chester. On the second play of the game, he hit defensive tackle Moala off the line, moving him back a couple yards and then headed to the linebacker. Polumbus then had a clean cut block attempt of Moala. Polumbus failed to get him on the ground, but Chester had done his part. Later in that same drive Chester’s patience resulted in two blocks. First he stayed on Moala long enough for Polumbus to take over and then went to the linebacker for another block on a five-yard run to the left.

14. Polumbus did not have a bad game last week; he did have a couple bad plays. For the most part Saturday he looked good. He wasn’t perfect, but he was effective and the plays with Chester show why cohesion is so important in this scheme. Polumbus had trouble on one pass set, allowing linebacker Jerry Hughes to get upfield and then inside, but the tackle was able to save the play and allow Griffin to throw the ball. But Polumbus did a nice job vs. Dwight Freeney on one rush (the 18-yard pass to Pierre Garcon). Freeney, who does not look comfortable as an outside ‘backer in a 3-4 yet, tried to speed rush him, but Polumbus rode him upfield and out of trouble. Freeney, rushing from a two-point stance, got too high on the play. On the next play, Polumbus was initially pushed back off the line, but he recovered and drove his man to the ground. One play later he reached the linebacker on Morris’ two-yard touchdown run.

15. Center Will Montgomery’s shotgun snaps are inconsistent. But even with the bad one’s Saturday, they were faster than a year ago. Of course, when the QB is in the pistol formation they’re only four yards off the ball rather than five to seven yards back. Montgomery’s snaps haven’t been a big issue this summer, but they were, uh, off Saturday. Griffin’s athleticism saved the play twice. First, on a snap that took .40 seconds because it was high, Griffin jumped, came down and hit tight end Chris Cooley for a completion (despite all this, Griffin still got the ball off in 1.70 seconds). On Griffin’s four-yard touchdown pass to Santana Moss, the ball was not only high but to the left. Griffin, in shotgun formation five yards deep, already was stepping to his right to get out on the sprint rollout. He grabbed the ball (.38 on the snap), sprinted and completed the pass.

Promising observation from Keim. To me, the key thing that he pointed out is the need for cohesion in this scheme. With Kory coming back, hopefully ready to go, cohesion will be basically acheived. Kory will be back with Trent and Monty and Chester and Polumbus played together last year along side Monty. This is not a Super Bowl line, but if the patchwork job that we ended up with last year could finish the season well. This unit, with a quick release QB, can do even better.

+1

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Promising observation from Keim. To me, the key thing that he pointed out is the need for cohesion in this scheme. With Kory coming back, hopefully ready to go, cohesion will be basically acheived. Kory will be back with Trent and Monty and Chester and Polumbus played together last year along side Monty. This is not a Super Bowl line, but if the patchwork job that we ended up with last year could finish the season well. This unit, with a quick release QB, can do even better.

And this would be the BEST OL we could muster BEFORE the regular season and the injuries which often come with it during 16-game long gard-fought season?

The weakest unit of the team in my mind. Let's hope for the best (and wait for the next Draft/FA).
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Promising observation from Keim. To me, the key thing that he pointed out is the need for cohesion in this scheme. With Kory coming back, hopefully ready to go, cohesion will be basically acheived. Kory will be back with Trent and Monty and Chester and Polumbus played together last year along side Monty. This is not a Super Bowl line, but if the patchwork job that we ended up with last year could finish the season well. This unit, with a quick release QB, can do even better.

And this would be the BEST OL we could muster BEFORE the regular season and the injuries which often come with it during 16-game long gard-fought season?

The weakest unit of the team in my mind. Let's hope for the best (and wait for the next Draft/FA).

Yes, there will be injuries, but we have depth this year. Gettis and LeRibeus get better with each game. Polumbus has gotten better. We have Hurt as experience depth. We do need a tackle to back up Polumbus and Trent - the swing tackle is needed. Looks like Willie Smith stagnated and is not that guy.

Hog

Postby the poster » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Red_One43 wrote: Yes, there will be injuries, but we have depth this year. Gettis and LeRibeus get better with each game. Polumbus has gotten better. We have Hurt as experience depth. We do need a tackle to back up Polumbus and Trent - the swing tackle is needed. Looks like Willie Smith stagnated and is not that guy.

maurice hurt can play. in fact, he can start. the rookies leribeus and gettis are not ready. particualy leribeus who has had a bad preseason.

maybe your team's local press should do you guys a favor and stop asking a million rg3 questions just long enough to throw in a question of "hey, mike, willie smith started some games last year, how come we havent seen much of him this year, are you happy with him or disapointed?"

i think your media guys are more interested in RG3's sweat socks, though.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:

Yes, there will be injuries, but we have depth this year. Gettis and LeRibeus get better with each game. Polumbus has gotten better. We have Hurt as experience depth. We do need a tackle to back up Polumbus and Trent - the swing tackle is needed. Looks like Willie Smith stagnated and is not that guy.

Maybe Smith will surprise?

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Expect us to pick up some guys after cuts are made. I'm sure we'll cut some folks too.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 am

frankcal20 wrote:Expect us to pick up some guys after cuts are made. I'm sure we'll cut some folks too.

How about this guy

He appears to be healthy again, and he's a ex-Shanny pick that has played in the ZBS. He's running with the 3s and 4s.

Mat Bruce can trade someone Mike is planning on cutting, if he isn't released today

:feedback;
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:01 am

1niksder wrote:He appears to be healthy again, and he's a ex-Shanny pick that has played in the ZBS. He's running with the 3s and 4s.

It seems like there's a good chance they'll cut him. If he's healthy... I guess he'd be a decent backup.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:21 am

frankcal20 wrote:Expect us to pick up some guys after cuts are made. I'm sure we'll cut some folks too.

Taking peoples left-overs isn't the best way to upgrade a line, but honestly it is all they can do at this point. Regardless, I'm not very optimistic of this group. We'll see what happens though.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:57 pm

markshark84 wrote:

Taking peoples left-overs isn't the best way to upgrade a line, but honestly it is all they can do at this point. Regardless, I'm not very optimistic of this group. We'll see what happens though.

Our problem isn't that we lack decent starters as it is that we lack good depth. When healthy we have a middle-of-the-pack line. So the upgrade we're looking to get from other teams — and some people other teams cut can make a real improvement to our bench — will be addressing our greatest area of concern on the OL.

Then next year, we work more on the starters.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Then next year, we work more on the starters.

Or possibly some of our current depth players develop into starters.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
markshark84 wrote:

Our problem isn't that we lack decent starters as it is that we lack good depth. When healthy we have a middle-of-the-pack line. So the upgrade we're looking to get from other teams — and some people other teams cut can make a real improvement to our bench — will be addressing our greatest area of concern on the OL.

Then next year, we work more on the starters.

Honestly, we lack both. At a minimum, we NEED another starting tackle and guard. We also NEED depth at tackle and guard. Yes, if we were able to pick up 2 solid OLs off waivers (which is 99% unlikely), it would help. Then again, we will be looking thru a pool of the 10th-12th best OL on a particular team; to be our 6th-8th best . Still not a great situation to be in.

And when you are assembling an OL, "health" should always be taken into consideration. Therefore, I don't care about the "when healthy" because in reality, relying on all 5 starters being consistently healthy is unrealistic and shortsighted. When was the last time our 5 starters all played 14+ games in one season? The OL is the most injured position in the NFL. A good GM knows this and assembles their OL using this very principle.

I think its even worse that the state of our OL is an "at best mediocre" scenario -- depth is created in rounds 3-6 of the draft. We have -- year in and year out -- disregarded our OL depth and gone for RBs, WRs, etc. that don't pan out.

And next year we will work on our starters??? We only have one pick where you will find a clear starter. Everyone also knows that franchises don't let their solid OL starters go unless: (1) their old, (2) they want too much money, or (3) they have "issues". Outside of Randy Thomas, I'm not sure there have been many FA OL starters we have had that were really top OLs.

What I'm really saying is that this franchise has consistently overlooked the OL position and it continues to bit them in the behind.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:28 pm

We only need a backup LT and either an upgrade at RT or backup.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football