Our Salary Cap

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:26 pm

1niksder wrote:Considering the Skins don't have a first round pick most of the draft picks won't be in the top 51

So basically, we don't need any cap space to sign our draft picks. Is that correct?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:Considering the Skins don't have a first round pick most of the draft picks won't be in the top 51

So basically, we don't need any cap space to sign our draft picks. Is that correct?

I think we'd need cap space for prorated signing bonuses for any rookies before the season starts by the rule of 51.

...the Rule of 51, which dictates that, from the beginning of the league year in early March until the beginning of the season, only the top 51 “salaries” (including base salaries, roster bonuses, likely to be earned incentive, etc) and all pro-rata shares of bonus money of all players – including those outside of the top 51 - count toward the team’s overall Cap.

After the season starts, any of those rookies who'd made the team would have low (rookie min) salaries which would actually reduce our cap number since they'd be replacing guys with higher salaries.

So I think we'd need in the neighborhood of a million in cap space going into the draft, certainly less than if we had a 1st round pick ... I think.

1nik?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:14 pm

1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:I think it's pretty obvious that capitaldefense is saying 1niksder used to be on ExtremeSkins as PCinOZ, but got banned.
Of course, I have no idea if that's true or not, that's just how I read it.

I've always been 1niksder even over at ES, There is a PCinOZ over at CPND but I don't know if he is or ever was a member on ES

Is ES a 'decent' fan site? - I've never been there - no need, this site has it all covered :wink:

BOT - from all I can gather - there is still some 'wiggle room' available AND ... there are no 'nightmares' waiting at the end of the season

great job by these guys ... for sure :D
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Just passing through... Hope everyone's offseason is going well.

Love what these guys have done this offseason with the cap restraints. Not sure how, but they're getting it done.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:37 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I think we'd need cap space for prorated signing bonuses for any rookies before the season starts by the rule of 51.

Under the new CBA, there is a rookie allocation for each team based on draft picks and position. So they will need the cap space to meet this year's allocation... In addition to staying under the cap with the top 51 cap hits. :shock:

DarthMonk wrote:
...the Rule of 51, which dictates that, from the beginning of the league year in early March until the beginning of the season, only the top 51 “salaries” (including base salaries, roster bonuses, likely to be earned incentive, etc) and all pro-rata shares of bonus money of all players – including those outside of the top 51 - count toward the team’s overall Cap.

After the season starts, any of those rookies who'd made the team would have low (rookie min) salaries which would actually reduce our cap number since they'd be replacing guys with higher salaries.

So I think we'd need in the neighborhood of a million in cap space going into the draft, certainly less than if we had a 1st round pick ... I think.

1nik?

The signing bonus prorations that fall outside of the top 51 is always included when talking about the rule of 51. Currently Gettis, Morris, Crawford, and Bernstine have cap hits that fall outside the rule of 51 but their combined pro-rations from signing bonuses count $113,750 against the current cap. What will also count when the season starts will be the salaries of the 8 man practice squad. Every FO in the league has space set aside (or a plan to get space) for this group. Last year's group ate up close to a million dollars in cap space.

Here's what the team is looking at based on how teams were allocated since the new CBA kicked in

These amounts are based on where the Skins are slotted to draft...

21st pick in the second Rd = 4 yrs/3.85M or $700K against the 2013 cap
23rd pick in the third Rd = 4 yrs/2.77M or $540K against the 2013 cap
22nd in the 4th = 4 yrs/2.59M or $510K against the 2013 cap
21st and 29th in the fifth = 4 yrs/2.35M or $450K and 4 yrs/2.3M or $445K against the 2013 cap
23rd in the sixth = 4 yrs/2.26M or $430K against the 2013 cap
22nd in the last round = 4 yrs/2.21M or $410K against the 2013 cap

I'm pretty sure $4M will do it but it could be as low as $3.25M needed.

The Rams will have to allocate about $1.46M in cap space for the pick we sent them last off-season.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football