What is the most important cause for the DEFENSE collapse?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

What is the most important cause for the DEFENSE collapse?

Lack of Draft and Free Agency effort by the FO
1
2%
Injuries and suspensions
10
22%
Poor 3-4 implementation & game planning by J. Hasleet
18
40%
Poor execution by an inept and incompetent bunch
9
20%
Cap penalty imposed by Mara & his puppet goddahell
7
16%
 
Total votes : 45
piglet
User avatar
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 am

Postby Richmond Redskin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:21 am

SkinsJock wrote:so ... let me get this straight - "for the 3-4 defense to work .... " you have to have certain things 'work' ..

can I then take it that the 4-3 defense will be successful even if the things that it needs to 'work' don't 'work'


no wonder so many of you want to go back to the 4-3 - you learn something new about this game everyday :twisted:


Maybe, with our 4-3 we had MANY more sacks and QB pressure. Granted a diffrent group of players. If you look at many of the successful teams around the NFL, they do run a 3-4, but built the defense around that.

We need depth and talent. RAK and Carriker injuries were a killer. Morris may be running the defesne by the end of the year. I think Haslett is losing the players confidence that he has a plan to do anyting on defesne. Our cao hit and lack of stockpiled picks will make it difficult to plug a lot of areas that for this defense regardless of what defense we run.

Hopefully it gets better before the end of the year and we have something to build on for 2013.

~~~~~~
Posts: 10208
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 am
Location: Canada

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:22 am

tribeofjudah wrote:RIC.... how about ALL OF THE ABOVE..???

Hey brother, remember the first post:

Redskin in Canada wrote:A combination of several factors may be responsible. I include in the Poll ALL of the reasons in my mind behind this collapse. So, my answer would be a combination of all. But I am interested to hear you all to highlight WHICH is the MOST important. What is your view?


I feel ALL of those items contribute. I just wanted to determine their different value as contributing factors among the fans. :wink:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

kazoo
Posts: 10195
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:55 am

All I know is that there's a point when we can't stop anybody ever that questions have to start being asked. I'd have voted injuries, but we couldn't stop anybody before Rak and Carriker went out. I voted cap because I think that's the biggest in terms of what I expected. Without the cap loss I'd have thought we'd have shored up the secondary and been better. We're so bad though, I'm not sure that "covers" it since we can't cover anyone else... But I don't have a better answer that explains why we got way better last year only to get way worse again this year.

My hesitation in voting Haslett was we sucked two years ago, but we improved so much last year. I don't understand why we are so bad again.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

piglet
User avatar
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 am

Postby Richmond Redskin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:33 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:All I know is that there's a point when we can't stop anybody ever that questions have to start being asked. I'd have voted injuries, but we couldn't stop anybody before Rak and Carriker went out. I voted cap because I think that's the biggest in terms of what I expected. Without the cap loss I'd have thought we'd have shored up the secondary and been better. We're so bad though, I'm not sure that "covers" it since we can't cover anyone else... But I don't have a better answer that explains why we got way better last year only to get way worse again this year.

My hesitation in voting Haslett was we sucked two years ago, but we improved so much last year. I don't understand why we are so bad again.


It is frustrating. I think that it is a combination of all of them. We give a guy like Tanard Jackson a chance and he gets suspended for drugs...again. That one still makes me mad.

Then Merryweather goes down in a freak accident. RAK and Carriker hurt and we have people in our secondary starting that could not make 90% of other NFL teams.

You look around the league at who we have dropped.....Rogers, Clarke, Laundry..all seem to be excelling with the new teams. At some point if goes back to coaching, schemes and talent evaluation. For some reason these guys could not make it here, but can elsewhere. Is it a scheme, is it the training staff, is it lack of surrounding talent?

Toss in the cap hit that limits our ability to go and get a few players and it is pretty easy to see how we got here. The bigger concern is I am not seeing a lot changing next year outside of RAk and Carriker. Both are coming back from pretty serious injuries.

We have the same core group, still have the cap hit and at this point still have the same coaches and talent evaluators.

I wish there was a silver bullet here, but I think this problem is a big one and will take time, money and talent...all of which we are short on right now.


.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13051
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:55 am

It's not the system - there are pros and cons for all defensive 'systems'

It's not the coaching - these guys have had success as well as bad times - I remember when there were many that thought Wade Phillips was the reason that the pukes defense sucked .. same guy is now hailed as a genius at Houston - Bellichick was horrible at Cleveland ...

It's not the players - these guys would not be playing in the NFL if they did not have skills


this defense sucks because of a combination of many factors but primarily, we were 'hurt' by not being able to add depth - I'm convinced that most good teams are better because they have quality depth - we could not add some players that might not have been great talent but they could have provided depth

in looking back - adding FAT Al Haynesworth to this franchise was a HUGE mistake


we do not have a good defense but I predict we're still 8-8 (maybe 9-7)

what really sucks is that if the defense were playing better we might have done better than most knowledgeable fans and the media expected


this franchise is still getting into the groove and recovering from the mess


I will say that no matter what the record ends up - I hope Bruce and Milke take a hard look at Danny, Kyle and Jim for next season

although with this owner he could look at RG3 and think he wants someone else as his HC
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

piglet
User avatar
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 am

Postby Richmond Redskin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:16 am

SkinsJock wrote:I will say that no matter what the record ends up - I hope Bruce and Milke take a hard look at Danny, Kyle and Jim for next season

although with this owner he could look at RG3 and think he wants someone else as his HC


Danny has not been the most patient in the past and I would think that if the team does not have a strong second half and get to at least .500 they may be in jeopardy.

He finally has his franchise QB and wants results now. Changing coaches has been his way in the past, but I really do not feel like going through the coaching carosel over again.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13051
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:01 am

This game this week comes at a good time - I think the whole team will be up for this and then comes the bye week

the 2 games after the bye will be incredible and the exposure of beating the Cowboys on national TV could be a huge motivator


Hazlett has to find a way to get more out of his front 7 to help cover the secondary - adding star players to the secondary means little if the guys up front do not get pressure

we have been decent at stopping the run game - we need to do better against the pass and that starts with the front 7
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1639
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:15 am

oneman56 wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
markshark84 wrote:If 2 major injuries are the direct reason we are now the clear-cut worst defense in the NFL --- the FO should have realized that may be an issue and prepared accordingly.


What math are you using to come to a conclusion of 2 injuries?

- Carriker
- Orakpo
- Merriweather
- Tanard (brain deficiency lol)
- Goff
- Jenkins (it takes 2 years to truly bounce back from his injury)

That's 5 "real" injuries. But more importantly, that's 4 starters on defense GONE. BOTH safeties GONE. Arguably our best pass rusher, GONE. A cornerstone of our D-line GONE.

That's huge.


It's not math more than english..... "Real" and "major" are different. "Major" injuries go to "major" players. There are only 2 "major" players on your list -- and that is giving Carriker a ton of credit. Of those 6, 2 are high level players; 1 a mediocre player; 2 are injury riddled, and one is actively playing. And I consider starters as players that have actually started a game as a skin.

I considered Carriker and Orakpo as the major injuries. The others were such that they should have been planned for by the FO.

Jenkins is playing. He got hurt last year. They should have adequately planned that this is a "recovery" year. It's no secret it takes 2 years for an ACL to fully recover.

Jackson failed his physical in TB, hasn't played a full season since 2008 and has a substance abuse issue. Would you really think we'd get a full season out of him??? I would have planned an option B. An injury or suspension should have been predictable (and really inevitable). To say that this was a surprise is just ridiculous.

Goff tore his ACL the PREVIOUS season. Besides the skins released him. As you stated, it takes 2 years to recover. He wan't a core player and shouldn't have been a starter because this is a "recovery year" and more importantly, he was a mediocre starter in NYG; which is probably why they didnt' resign him. When you have an injury prone middle LB coming off a season ending ACL tear, the FO should have had a plan B. His injury was predicatable.

An argument can be made for Merriweather, but it was early enough were the FO should have made more of an effort to pick up a DB. He was injured on Sept 3, so I can understand it --- that said, we need MULTIPLE upgrades in the 2ndary.

If I give you Merriweather, that is 3 injuries. That is not uncommon in the NFL. The FO needs to prepare for injuries. If this were 3 injuries at the same position, it is understandable -- but this is 3 injuries at very different positions. The FO should have prepared.



Show me a FO that loses it's best pass rusher, best run stuffer and most talented DB and doesn't fall off defensively? I'm not saying they couldn't have prepared better (there's always room to be better) and i'm not saying we should be last against the pass but these are significant injuries. Again, see Baltimore. See Pitt w/o Harrison, Polamalu and let's say Kiesel. These are tough injuries to overcome. Haslett has to share some blame however we were already thin defensively and couldn't afford these injuries. We focused the off-season and draft to the offensive side which was needed and need to do the same this year to the secondary and we need to find another pass rusher to compliment Rak and Kerrigan.


I agree that we focused the offseason on offense -- and it shows. That said, there is 2 sides to the ball and the FO should have addressed glaring issues like our 2ndary.

Orakpo is our best pash rusher. That is no question. He is our best defensive player and a "worst case scenario" situation. When he got hurt, my heart sank. That was huge and I understand that. It doesn't help that Fletcher is clearly (and finally) showing his age. He has lost a step. Morris has taken Fletchers spot as my favorite skin.

I think your assessment of Carriker is a bit of a stretch. Carriker is a solid player, but not irreplaceable like Orakpo; nor would I call him our best run stopper -- that would go to either Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fletcher (still), or even Cofield. AC only had 1 assisted tackle in 2 games this year --- far from the "best" of anything. From a statistical standpoint, Jenkins has played better since Carrikers injury. His absence shouldn't be considered devestating or a direct by-product for the worst D in the NFL.

I also find Merriweather as our "best DB" as a huge stretch. First, he has never played in DC. I hope that after the past decade for historic FA flops, you have realized that sometimes FAs don't always produce in DC the way they did for their prior teams. Second, Merriweather isn't that good. He was benched in CHI last year, starting only 4 and playing in only 11 games. His poor tackling form has been well documented. He had an incredible 2009, but that was 3 years ago. I judge players on where they CURRENTLY are, not how they played 3 years ago. You can't pick and choose like that. As such, I find a statement hailing Meriweather as our "best DB" to be false and completely without merit. Meriweather has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant the "best" title. DHall -- for better or worse -- is currently our best DB (which isn't saying much) until proven otherwise. The Meriweather signing was a placeholder. He was forced out of NE and then CHI. Even with his signing, we would have still needed to upgrade the position --- 2 playoff teams decided as much and if we want to be or be considered a playoff team I see why we should be no different. I see Meriweather as a good backup.

FYI --- PITT's defense is 1st in pass D and 9th in run. That said, I find your comparison to be offbase and irrelevant, but thought I should include it.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6326
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:42 am

All valid points being made.. I still blame Haslett because he knows the talent level isn't all that good now that we have injury issues so maybe call plays better suited to your personnel.

Like many of you I hate the approach of trying to put a square into a circular hole. (or however that goes) LOL
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Postby oneman56 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:07 pm

markshark84 wrote:
oneman56 wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
markshark84 wrote:If 2 major injuries are the direct reason we are now the clear-cut worst defense in the NFL --- the FO should have realized that may be an issue and prepared accordingly.


What math are you using to come to a conclusion of 2 injuries?

- Carriker
- Orakpo
- Merriweather
- Tanard (brain deficiency lol)
- Goff
- Jenkins (it takes 2 years to truly bounce back from his injury)

That's 5 "real" injuries. But more importantly, that's 4 starters on defense GONE. BOTH safeties GONE. Arguably our best pass rusher, GONE. A cornerstone of our D-line GONE.

That's huge.


It's not math more than english..... "Real" and "major" are different. "Major" injuries go to "major" players. There are only 2 "major" players on your list -- and that is giving Carriker a ton of credit. Of those 6, 2 are high level players; 1 a mediocre player; 2 are injury riddled, and one is actively playing. And I consider starters as players that have actually started a game as a skin.

I considered Carriker and Orakpo as the major injuries. The others were such that they should have been planned for by the FO.

Jenkins is playing. He got hurt last year. They should have adequately planned that this is a "recovery" year. It's no secret it takes 2 years for an ACL to fully recover.

Jackson failed his physical in TB, hasn't played a full season since 2008 and has a substance abuse issue. Would you really think we'd get a full season out of him??? I would have planned an option B. An injury or suspension should have been predictable (and really inevitable). To say that this was a surprise is just ridiculous.

Goff tore his ACL the PREVIOUS season. Besides the skins released him. As you stated, it takes 2 years to recover. He wan't a core player and shouldn't have been a starter because this is a "recovery year" and more importantly, he was a mediocre starter in NYG; which is probably why they didnt' resign him. When you have an injury prone middle LB coming off a season ending ACL tear, the FO should have had a plan B. His injury was predicatable.

An argument can be made for Merriweather, but it was early enough were the FO should have made more of an effort to pick up a DB. He was injured on Sept 3, so I can understand it --- that said, we need MULTIPLE upgrades in the 2ndary.

If I give you Merriweather, that is 3 injuries. That is not uncommon in the NFL. The FO needs to prepare for injuries. If this were 3 injuries at the same position, it is understandable -- but this is 3 injuries at very different positions. The FO should have prepared.



Show me a FO that loses it's best pass rusher, best run stuffer and most talented DB and doesn't fall off defensively? I'm not saying they couldn't have prepared better (there's always room to be better) and i'm not saying we should be last against the pass but these are significant injuries. Again, see Baltimore. See Pitt w/o Harrison, Polamalu and let's say Kiesel. These are tough injuries to overcome. Haslett has to share some blame however we were already thin defensively and couldn't afford these injuries. We focused the off-season and draft to the offensive side which was needed and need to do the same this year to the secondary and we need to find another pass rusher to compliment Rak and Kerrigan.


I agree that we focused the offseason on offense -- and it shows. That said, there is 2 sides to the ball and the FO should have addressed glaring issues like our 2ndary.

Orakpo is our best pash rusher. That is no question. He is our best defensive player and a "worst case scenario" situation. When he got hurt, my heart sank. That was huge and I understand that. It doesn't help that Fletcher is clearly (and finally) showing his age. He has lost a step. Morris has taken Fletchers spot as my favorite skin.

I think your assessment of Carriker is a bit of a stretch. Carriker is a solid player, but not irreplaceable like Orakpo; nor would I call him our best run stopper -- that would go to either Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fletcher (still), or even Cofield. AC only had 1 assisted tackle in 2 games this year --- far from the "best" of anything. From a statistical standpoint, Jenkins has played better since Carrikers injury. His absence shouldn't be considered devestating or a direct by-product for the worst D in the NFL.

I also find Merriweather as our "best DB" as a huge stretch. First, he has never played in DC. I hope that after the past decade for historic FA flops, you have realized that sometimes FAs don't always produce in DC the way they did for their prior teams. Second, Merriweather isn't that good. He was benched in CHI last year, starting only 4 and playing in only 11 games. His poor tackling form has been well documented. He had an incredible 2009, but that was 3 years ago. I judge players on where they CURRENTLY are, not how they played 3 years ago. You can't pick and choose like that. As such, I find a statement hailing Meriweather as our "best DB" to be false and completely without merit. Meriweather has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant the "best" title. DHall -- for better or worse -- is currently our best DB (which isn't saying much) until proven otherwise. The Meriweather signing was a placeholder. He was forced out of NE and then CHI. Even with his signing, we would have still needed to upgrade the position --- 2 playoff teams decided as much and if we want to be or be considered a playoff team I see why we should be no different. I see Meriweather as a good backup.

FYI --- PITT's defense is 1st in pass D and 9th in run. That said, I find your comparison to be offbase and irrelevant, but thought I should include it.


I never said Meriweather is the best or even that he's good, i said he's the most talented we have and i don't think that's offbase. Our corners are terrible and Williams is useless. Unfortunately we don't have any standouts back there so his absensce is magnified. As for Carriker, you can't judge his 1 game this year as a barometer. Last year he routinely blew up his side of the line and shut down the run and he's easily the best run D-LINEMEN we had (it's why he got paid). My comparison to Pitt was not to bring up their current rankings, I stated they are a VERY different defense sans Polomalu, Harrison and a starting d-linemen just like Baltimore is right now. You should read what I write before you call it off-base!

**ch44
Posts: 2366
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:46 pm

oneman56 wrote:Show me a FO that loses it's best pass rusher, best run stuffer and most talented DB and doesn't fall off defensively? I'm not saying they couldn't have prepared better (there's always room to be better) and i'm not saying we should be last against the pass but these are significant injuries. Again, see Baltimore. See Pitt w/o Harrison, Polamalu and let's say Kiesel. These are tough injuries to overcome. Haslett has to share some blame however we were already thin defensively and couldn't afford these injuries. We focused the off-season and draft to the offensive side which was needed and need to do the same this year to the secondary and we need to find another pass rusher to compliment Rak and Kerrigan.


Even IF, for arguments sake, Carriker, Rak and Merriweather are our best run stuffer, pass rusher, and DB, it doesn't mean that they aren't hard to replace. Are those players you mention on the Steelers hard to replace? Absolutely, but one is a hall of famer, and the others are perenial all pro's. Merriweather is a journeyman player, Rak is an avove average LB, but he's not even in the top 3 pass rushing LB's in our division, and Carriker is above average as well but not a perenial all pro. So finding a replacement for bad to above average players should not be as difficult or as impactful as losing players like you mention. We need depth. We hoped we had it in the secondary and it turned out not happening.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5220
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:03 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby cvillehog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:52 pm

I like the idea that there's some play or combination of plays that you can call to make up for poor execution on the field. I'm not sure it's true, but I still like it.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1639
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm

oneman56 wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
oneman56 wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
markshark84 wrote:If 2 major injuries are the direct reason we are now the clear-cut worst defense in the NFL --- the FO should have realized that may be an issue and prepared accordingly.


What math are you using to come to a conclusion of 2 injuries?

- Carriker
- Orakpo
- Merriweather
- Tanard (brain deficiency lol)
- Goff
- Jenkins (it takes 2 years to truly bounce back from his injury)

That's 5 "real" injuries. But more importantly, that's 4 starters on defense GONE. BOTH safeties GONE. Arguably our best pass rusher, GONE. A cornerstone of our D-line GONE.

That's huge.


It's not math more than english..... "Real" and "major" are different. "Major" injuries go to "major" players. There are only 2 "major" players on your list -- and that is giving Carriker a ton of credit. Of those 6, 2 are high level players; 1 a mediocre player; 2 are injury riddled, and one is actively playing. And I consider starters as players that have actually started a game as a skin.

I considered Carriker and Orakpo as the major injuries. The others were such that they should have been planned for by the FO.

Jenkins is playing. He got hurt last year. They should have adequately planned that this is a "recovery" year. It's no secret it takes 2 years for an ACL to fully recover.

Jackson failed his physical in TB, hasn't played a full season since 2008 and has a substance abuse issue. Would you really think we'd get a full season out of him??? I would have planned an option B. An injury or suspension should have been predictable (and really inevitable). To say that this was a surprise is just ridiculous.

Goff tore his ACL the PREVIOUS season. Besides the skins released him. As you stated, it takes 2 years to recover. He wan't a core player and shouldn't have been a starter because this is a "recovery year" and more importantly, he was a mediocre starter in NYG; which is probably why they didnt' resign him. When you have an injury prone middle LB coming off a season ending ACL tear, the FO should have had a plan B. His injury was predicatable.

An argument can be made for Merriweather, but it was early enough were the FO should have made more of an effort to pick up a DB. He was injured on Sept 3, so I can understand it --- that said, we need MULTIPLE upgrades in the 2ndary.

If I give you Merriweather, that is 3 injuries. That is not uncommon in the NFL. The FO needs to prepare for injuries. If this were 3 injuries at the same position, it is understandable -- but this is 3 injuries at very different positions. The FO should have prepared.



Show me a FO that loses it's best pass rusher, best run stuffer and most talented DB and doesn't fall off defensively? I'm not saying they couldn't have prepared better (there's always room to be better) and i'm not saying we should be last against the pass but these are significant injuries. Again, see Baltimore. See Pitt w/o Harrison, Polamalu and let's say Kiesel. These are tough injuries to overcome. Haslett has to share some blame however we were already thin defensively and couldn't afford these injuries. We focused the off-season and draft to the offensive side which was needed and need to do the same this year to the secondary and we need to find another pass rusher to compliment Rak and Kerrigan.


I agree that we focused the offseason on offense -- and it shows. That said, there is 2 sides to the ball and the FO should have addressed glaring issues like our 2ndary.

Orakpo is our best pash rusher. That is no question. He is our best defensive player and a "worst case scenario" situation. When he got hurt, my heart sank. That was huge and I understand that. It doesn't help that Fletcher is clearly (and finally) showing his age. He has lost a step. Morris has taken Fletchers spot as my favorite skin.

I think your assessment of Carriker is a bit of a stretch. Carriker is a solid player, but not irreplaceable like Orakpo; nor would I call him our best run stopper -- that would go to either Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fletcher (still), or even Cofield. AC only had 1 assisted tackle in 2 games this year --- far from the "best" of anything. From a statistical standpoint, Jenkins has played better since Carrikers injury. His absence shouldn't be considered devestating or a direct by-product for the worst D in the NFL.

I also find Merriweather as our "best DB" as a huge stretch. First, he has never played in DC. I hope that after the past decade for historic FA flops, you have realized that sometimes FAs don't always produce in DC the way they did for their prior teams. Second, Merriweather isn't that good. He was benched in CHI last year, starting only 4 and playing in only 11 games. His poor tackling form has been well documented. He had an incredible 2009, but that was 3 years ago. I judge players on where they CURRENTLY are, not how they played 3 years ago. You can't pick and choose like that. As such, I find a statement hailing Meriweather as our "best DB" to be false and completely without merit. Meriweather has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant the "best" title. DHall -- for better or worse -- is currently our best DB (which isn't saying much) until proven otherwise. The Meriweather signing was a placeholder. He was forced out of NE and then CHI. Even with his signing, we would have still needed to upgrade the position --- 2 playoff teams decided as much and if we want to be or be considered a playoff team I see why we should be no different. I see Meriweather as a good backup.

FYI --- PITT's defense is 1st in pass D and 9th in run. That said, I find your comparison to be offbase and irrelevant, but thought I should include it.


I never said Meriweather is the best or even that he's good, i said he's the most talented we have and i don't think that's offbase. Our corners are terrible and Williams is useless. Unfortunately we don't have any standouts back there so his absensce is magnified. As for Carriker, you can't judge his 1 game this year as a barometer. Last year he routinely blew up his side of the line and shut down the run and he's easily the best run D-LINEMEN we had (it's why he got paid). My comparison to Pitt was not to bring up their current rankings, I stated they are a VERY different defense sans Polomalu, Harrison and a starting d-linemen just like Baltimore is right now. You should read what I write before you call it off-base!


No, I read it. I read it as both Balt and Pitt having had significant injuries and now their defenses had to adjust. I partially agree, but what is at issue is whether those injuries are the major reason for a defensive decline -- which is the actual topic of discussion. You have to remember what the ultimate issue we are discussing is about.

I initally stated why I dont' believe D injuries are the main reason for our last ranked D and that the FO should have assembled a team with greater depth or at least attempted to fix obvious defensive holes. Therefore -- in order for the Steelers situation to be relevant and on-base/point, the Steelers would have to have injuries to vital players (which they do) and such injuries were the major reason for a defensive decline -- or there was actually a defensive decline. Since they are 1st and 9th in rushing & passing D, respectively that is obviously not the case. PIT's D reserves such as Worilds and Mundy have come in and played well enough that the talent drop from injuries hasn't been as big of an issue as for a team with less depth and talent. The individuals in charge of creating depth and talent are the FO. Their FO formed a roster with the depth to weather such a situation.

As to Meriweather -- so you are saying that he is the most talented, but not the best DB? If you put it that way, talent has no value. And if, as you say, he isn't even that good -- his injury should not have created a significant drop off in production and thus, should not have attributed to the D decline.

As for Carriker, I'm not sure saying he "blew up" the line is totally accurate. He was good. I have always said that, but he never shut down one side of the field. The guy had 19 solo tackles last year. He's a solid player but not a shut down player. Come on.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13051
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:06 pm

I agree with ChiefHog - the defensive issues are not so much the result of injuries or any single thing - it's a combination of a lot of things

the biggest single thing is the lack of depth

all teams have injuries - IMO the defense did not get much help because they were hoping that last year's group would continue to improve PLUS we had to plan on where we could add given limited resources


Hazlett & Mike need to do a better job in game planning and keeping in mind not only what you want to do on defense but also who you have to best execute the game plan - I'd rather see better basic defensive play

we do not need the defense to win the game - we need them to help win the game


I am hoping for a good effort this week - we know the offense will show up
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

**ch44
Posts: 2366
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:48 pm

For what it's worth, I had the treat of hearing a question come into Pat Kirwin on my short drive home tonight. It was basically, what is going on with our defense, is it because we're running a 3-4, is the injuries, is it Haslett, or is it talent. The guy who called in with the question was making the case that we should switch back to a 4-3 with our talent. Put Rak and Kerrigan on the edge with their hand in the dirt, put Cofield and Bowen/Jenkins in as 1 gap defenders. Kirwin loved the idea, but also said that the scheme was not the issue. He said that the injury to Orakpo was a big deal...pressure causes turnovers and stops, and there is no pressure. He also said that we came in with old safeties and hoped. He said when they were doing their training camp tour, Tim Ryan made a comment that by mid season, Reed Doughty would be starting again, and he was right. Also thinks our DBs are over rated. Everyone's gameplan coming into games is to attack D. Hall. That's why he is always in position to make interceptions, because teams throw against him all game. He didn't think it was Haslett, cause he has his hands tied with no talent on the backside and no rush with the injuries. Gonna be a long season...
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football