Garcon - injury Bust....???

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######
Posts: 7172
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Dear Pierre, get the dang surgery.

I'm no physician, but I read about Plantar Plate Tears and based on Garcon's toughness, and his inability to "tolerate the pain" he should probably stop waiting for it to heal and get the surgery. This kind of injury could never heal on it's own. And, some people with it untreated find that their toe becomes deformed as the ligament gives way and totally destabilizes the toe.

Dude said yesterday that he's scared of surgery because he'll be "under anesthesia for a long time" and won't know what's going on. SMH

Dude, you don't know what's going on now which is why it's Week 10 and you're still crying that it hurts.

I doubt this will magically heal before the last 7 weeks. He's gonna either have to play through it or get the surgery.

This is what is torn on Pierre:
Image

The plantar ligament holds the toe in place, basically stabilizing it.
If the ligament ruptures and destabilizes the toe, it can look like this. Deformity occurs because the ligament holding the toe in place is torn off.

Image

Surgery repairs the torn ligament so that the toe heals and remains stable.


Image

When you play football for a living, you can't avoid this surgery just because you don't like being under anesthesia. Get the dang surgery.

See Pierre's interview on his toe here.
http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Pierre-Garcon-11-12/ea8a5e72-280a-497c-bad5-f4ea5ec70b2d
Last edited by The Hogster on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

**LPJ**
Posts: 6285
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm

The Hogster wrote:Dude said yesterday that he's scared of surgery because "he'll be under anesthesia" and won't "know what's going on." SMH

Dude, you don't know what's going on now which is why it's Week 10 and you're still crying that it hurts.


:lol:

You da man Hogster
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

#######
Posts: 7172
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:08 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Dude said yesterday that he's scared of surgery because "he'll be under anesthesia" and won't "know what's going on." SMH

Dude, you don't know what's going on now which is why it's Week 10 and you're still crying that it hurts.


:lol:

You da man Hogster


I'm getting annoyed with these guys. I understand that it's their bodies, and you can't force anyone to get surgery. But, if a physician with 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 4-8 years of residency, and many years of experience tells you that you need surgery to heal correctly, then why would you refuse, when you majored in pigskin and have no idea what you're talking about. Lavar did this, Laron did this, and now Pierre. You can't "go by feel" with this kind of injury because the only way for it to heal is to rest it. And, the only way to tell if it's healing is to run on it. SMH It might feel good after an offseason of rest. But, come training camp we'll be right back where we are now when he realizes it's still torn or worse ruptured.

If doctors can repair ACLs MCLs PCLs Achilles tendons, and just about everything else. Then let them fix your toe ligament dude. They actually know what they're doing and can look at the ligament to tell whether it's healing or not. I wonder where Adrian Peterson would be if he said, he was just going to let it heal. My fiance delivers babies. Sure, women could do it on their own. But why?
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

---
User avatar
Posts: 18555
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:24 pm

The Hogster wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Dude said yesterday that he's scared of surgery because "he'll be under anesthesia" and won't "know what's going on." SMH

Dude, you don't know what's going on now which is why it's Week 10 and you're still crying that it hurts.


:lol:

You da man Hogster


I'm getting annoyed with these guys. I understand that it's their bodies, and you can't force anyone to get surgery. But, if a physician with 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 4-8 years of residency, and many years of experience tells you that you need surgery to heal correctly, then why would you refuse, when you majored in pigskin and have no idea what you're talking about. Lavar did this, Laron did this, and now Pierre. You can't "go by feel" with this kind of injury because the only way for it to heal is to rest it. And, the only way to tell if it's healing is to run on it. SMH It might feel good after an offseason of rest. But, come training camp we'll be right back where we are now when he realizes it's still torn or worse ruptured.

If doctors can repair ACLs MCLs PCLs Achilles tendons, and just about everything else. Then let them fix your toe ligament dude. They actually know what they're doing and can look at the ligament to tell whether it's healing or not. I wonder where Adrian Peterson would be if he said, he was just going to let it heal. My fiance delivers babies. Sure, women could do it on their own. But why?


LOL, I didn't read that. Yeah, he's gonna have to man up about that. :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ
Posts: 12937
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:46 pm

IF the reason for not following the Dr's recommendation is "I'm not comfortable with anesthesia... " and the team has allowed this guy to be here and obviously not be able to contribute

that is just wrong on both sides

Mike for allowing it to go on knowing the guy would most likely NOT be able to be completely healed without surgery
and
the player for not doing it



C'MON MAN - get him out of here :roll:

the WR's here have a great opportunity and they're not taking advantage of it
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15750
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Someone sneak up behind him with chloroform on a rag...
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

tribe
Posts: 6095
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:26 pm

SkinsJock wrote:IF the reason for not following the Dr's recommendation is "I'm not comfortable with anesthesia... " and the team has allowed this guy to be here and obviously not be able to contribute

that is just wrong on both sides

Mike for allowing it to go on knowing the guy would most likely NOT be able to be completely healed without surgery
and
the player for not doing it



C'MON MAN - get him out of here :roll:

the WR's here have a great opportunity and they're not taking advantage of it


We talkin....anesthesia? anesthesia? We talkin bout anesthesia (ala Iverson about practice)

Dude.....anesthesia happens EVERY DAY in dental offices. Same thing Garcon, come ON NOW...!!!
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 10963
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Now I'm thinking what will happen is this: Garcon toys around with the idea of playing for the next seven weeks, taking maybe 10 snaps without any positive results. Then in the offseason he'll take it real easy, coming into camp in so-so shape, but swearing that his toe feels good. In week 2 of preseason something snaps, he's off to IR, and Garcon finally agrees to have the surgery that it sounds like he should already have had by now . . . and we won't see him take the field until September 2014.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

tribe
Posts: 6095
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Now I'm thinking what will happen is this: Garcon toys around with the idea of playing for the next seven weeks, taking maybe 10 snaps without any positive results. Then in the offseason he'll take it real easy, coming into camp in so-so shape, but swearing that his toe feels good. In week 2 of preseason something snaps, he's off to IR, and Garcon finally agrees to have the surgery that it sounds like he should already have had by now . . . and we won't see him take the field until September 2014.


Booo.....and BINGO....!!! So sad how "this" happens in this organization more frequently than we would like.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

DarthMonk
Posts: 4128
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Now I'm thinking what will happen is this: Garcon toys around with the idea of playing for the next seven weeks, taking maybe 10 snaps without any positive results. Then in the offseason he'll take it real easy, coming into camp in so-so shape, but swearing that his toe feels good. In week 2 of preseason something snaps, he's off to IR, and Garcon finally agrees to have the surgery that it sounds like he should already have had by now . . . and we won't see him take the field until September 2014.


So wrong but so right.

I once broke my wrist. The knife was suggested. I was "afraid." We tried a cast and took another look a week later. He said it was not healing properly, advised surgery, and mentioned I'd not need a cast.

Say wah?

Got the surgery and was playing guitar in TWO DAYS (broken wrist on fretting hand)!!

Get the feakin' surgery, dude!

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Postby por-tiz2skins » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Garcon is pricey but the Colts didn't re-sign him manly because he had foot issues and now we are paying the price. Garcon is just a #2 WR if Shanny was smart ( i think he is washed up) he should of got Marshall even if it was a 3rd and 013 2nd you would than have a #1 WR and a #2 WR that are young and than now give RG3 his future weapons. Garcon will come back maybe as a inconsistent type of WR that is up- and down but we should of never got Morgan and been a bit more agressive on Mario Manningham or a guy like Randy Moss cheaper .

We made poor moves in FA.
R.I.P

Sean Taylor-21#
Greatest safety ever and the most feared hardest hitting safety ever.

"I swear I'll Honor the number 21#"

-Clinton Portis

#######
Posts: 7172
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Now I'm thinking what will happen is this: Garcon toys around with the idea of playing for the next seven weeks, taking maybe 10 snaps without any positive results. Then in the offseason he'll take it real easy, coming into camp in so-so shape, but swearing that his toe feels good. In week 2 of preseason something snaps, he's off to IR, and Garcon finally agrees to have the surgery that it sounds like he should already have had by now . . . and we won't see him take the field until September 2014.


I think this is dead on. It makes you wonder whether Garcon cares to get back onto the field as much as you'd like. It also makes it more understandable why Mike went to the media very early on and said the magic phrase "it's a matter of pain tolerance." Suggesting that Garcon needs to man up.

Again, I'm no doctor, but the recovery time for this surgery is 6-8 weeks. If he had it in preseason when he says he first injured it, then he'd be out there contributing.

Has anyone seen Brian Baldinger's finger?? Dude, surgery...get it.
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

the 'mudge
Posts: 14249
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 pm

The Hogster wrote:It makes you wonder whether Garcon cares to get back onto the field as much as you'd like. It also makes it more understandable why Mike went to the media very early on and said the magic phrase "it's a matter of pain tolerance." Suggesting that Garcon needs to man up.

Again, I'm no doctor, but the recovery time for this surgery is 6-8 weeks. If he had it in preseason when he says he first injured it, then he'd be out there contributing.

Has anyone seen Brian Baldinger's finger?? Dude, surgery...get it.


Mike Shanahan's statement was made BEFORE the extent of the injury was actually known... While Garcon's "pain tolerance" may, indeed, be a factor, the fact is, this is a more significant injury than they thought...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 10963
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Countertrey wrote:Mike Shanahan's statement was made BEFORE the extent of the injury was actually known... While Garcon's "pain tolerance" may, indeed, be a factor, the fact is, this is a more significant injury than they thought...


Right. I don't blame Garcon or the coaches for not knowing the severity of the situation immediately. But the way it's been handled since then . . . not great, IMO. With the caveat that I'm not an insider and so don't know the whole story, all of the available evidence speaks badly of Garcon's decision making.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15750
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:51 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Got the surgery and was playing guitar in TWO DAYS (broken wrist on fretting hand)!!

What's really amazing is that you never played before. :P
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football