Fred Davis re-signs with the Redskins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Countertrey wrote:Excellent... color me very pleasantly surprised! A healthy Davis on the field with a healthy Garcon... will be a killer combo

Yeah, the way I think about it is... We didn't see the full potential of this offense last year for a few reasons, some obvious others not so...

1. Injury. Garcon missed the 1st 6 games or so. Davis was gone after the 1st six games. Morgan was injured, having never fully healed from his time in SanFran. Helu.
2. Rookie year. Both RGIII and Alfred.
3. Natural Progression.
A. Are line will had a solid year of playing together. They will improve.
B. Our WR's will have another year of comfort, they were essentially rookies (Garcon, Morgan)

The only area of stagnation that I anticipate is RGIII's ability to operate out of "normal" drop. I'm sure that was on their to-do list this offseason.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:20 pm

I feel like they ran alot more pistol after fred went down last year. now they have more places for rg3 to go with the ball.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:21 pm

brad7686 wrote:I feel like they ran alot more pistol after fred went down last year. now they have more places for rg3 to go with the ball.

Really? Im curious now, I'll have to look at the game film again to see if that's true.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks for carrying that line of thought out... I had wanted to, but got distracted... I absolutely agree with all points.

... though, I think the drop is one of the areas that he will be cleared to start working on early... Improvising when the pocket blows up, he already knows how to do! :twisted:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Countertrey wrote:Thanks for carrying that line of thought out... I had wanted to, but got distracted... I absolutely agree with all points.

... though, I think the drop is one of the areas that he will be cleared to start working on early... Improvising when the pocket blows up, he already knows how to do! :twisted:

Yeah... Good point.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Excellent... color me very pleasantly surprised! A healthy Davis on the field with a healthy Garcon... will be a killer combo

Yeah, the way I think about it is... We didn't see the full potential of this offense last year for a few reasons, some obvious others not so...

1. Injury. Garcon missed the 1st 6 games or so. Davis was gone after the 1st six games. Morgan was injured, having never fully healed from his time in SanFran. Helu.
3. Natural Progression.
B. Our WR's will have another year of comfort, they were essentially rookies (Garcon, Morgan)

The only area of stagnation that I anticipate is RGIII's ability to operate out of "normal" drop. I'm sure that was on their to-do list this offseason.

Well written. And I will add. We still have the draft.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:08 pm

The Hogster wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

3. Natural Progression.

Well written. And I will add. We still have the draft.

Definitely brother, and a rather easy draft at this point (not that I'm trying to get ahead of myself).

I was always thinking 2014 would be our dangerous year, now I think there's a high change its going to be 2013. Never doubted our ability to win the NFC East again, but I think we'll go deeper into the playoffs.

Here's an awesome 2012 highlight video I found on youtube...think we can all take a deep breathe now and enjoy who we were last year, and who we are & will be this year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nlV0aQk ... e=youtu.be

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Think about how many of those games we would have won in the first half of
the season had both Garcon AND Davis been active... our losses have been minimal, and it's looking like we are going to address the secondary...

Color me optimistic for a deep run in '13.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 pm

emoses14 wrote:
riggofan wrote:YES!!!! So glad to read this news this morning. I hope Fred lights it up this year and the Skins can afford to pay him more in 2014.

I saw McShay's two round draft yesterday and it had the Skins taking a TE in the 2d round, I guess anticipating that Davis wasn't back. That just goes to show you how big this re-signing was. It would suck IMO to be using a 2d round pick on a TE this year.

Even without Davis back, that pick prediction from McShay was idiotic. There were at least 2 safeties and 1 CB, can't think of names right now, that would be awesome for us that he had still available.

I didn't look into it that deeply, but I don't doubt what you're saying.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:40 pm

McShay clearly doesn't consider actually evaluating team needs an important criteria...

cleg

Postby cleg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Meh
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:28 pm

cleg wrote:Meh

Seriously? I love Coooooley as much as the next guy, but Fred Davis has a much higher ceiling then CC could have ever hoped for. His last 2 season's , the games he played, he put up top tier TE numbers. If he has the year he's capable of, then we got the season at a discount and he earns a fat pay day. If not, hes washed up we cut him. Either way its a good move.

Must be a joke I didn't get, my bad
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

piglet

Postby rg3togarcon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:34 pm

So glad to see Davis back. Now just hope he'll stay healthy all year and play. I feel real confident heading into the season with this roster. Just add a couple more secondary spots and some depth through the draft and we'll be a young team to mess with. HTTR!
Gone but not forgotten #21...forever in our hearts Sean Taylor

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:06 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:

Seriously? I love Coooooley as much as the next guy, but Fred Davis has a much higher ceiling then CC could have ever hoped for. His last 2 season's , the games he played, he put up top tier TE numbers. If he has the year he's capable of, then we got the season at a discount and he earns a fat pay day. If not, hes washed up we cut him. Either way its a good move.

It saddens me that Cooley was wasted during his tenure. A great player, a great person, a great heart... I feel for him, to have his loyalty betray him. I wish he could have went somewhere else to have had an enjoyable career. I say that not as a fan but as another person.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:50 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:

It kills me why people denote the fact that Cooley was in fact a top five TE for several years. He had the numbers to prove it.
Davis on the other could have had the numbers in 2011 but couldn't finish the season because he was suspended. He was on a roll last year when until he ripped his Achilles tendon.

Cooley was a top five TE, Davis could be. When Cooley was in his prime, Davis couldn't sniff the starting roll.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football