Helu Jr. on path to recovery after surgery

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
Your right it doesn't. I could have sworn it was Jawan with the injury history not Thompson.

Jamison's production was slowed by a sore ankle last season but that was it, as far as injuries go, and Thompson hasn't been able to take part in off-season workouts.

Kilmer72 wrote:
According to that article though Jawan is more of a project.

While I don’t necessarily believe he needs to beg to make the roster, I did see more than a decent number of comments a couple weeks ago implying that rookie running back Jawan Jamison was nothing more than a practice squad guy and hopeful project

Morris was considered a project last year by almost everyone (I thought he'd be a backup FB). The article draws comparisons to Morris style of running and their speed (or lack of) and notes Jamison's ability to catch the ball.

Also according to the same article...

Shanahan drafts guys that fit and Jamison works. He has the vision, he has the cutting ability and he can turn it upfield when he finds a lane.

If you think about Jamison as a third-down back, he offers a little bit in each situation—he can run, catch or protect.

It’s a perfect combination.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Postby yupchagee » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Roy Helu has undergone 'dry needling' to help loosen the muscles in his legs.

Helu has been unable to sustain health since posting 1,019 total yards as a rookie. He blames his series of lower-body injuries on tight muscles, but adds the acupuncture-like dry needling has produced "great results." If Helu's toe is healthy, he'll have a decent shot at winning the third-down job.

Source: Redskins.com
Jun 27 - 9:59 AM

Helu needs to have a brilliant showing this preseason or he's gone. If he's even par with either rookie RB, he's gone. Due to his injury history, he'd have to make it incredibiliy difficult for Mike to cut him.

You are assuming that at least 1 of the rookies will have a brilliant preseason. I don't think Thompson has been cleared to play, which means he is missing crucial reps. Helu at least has experience in the system. Jamison doesn't have the speed that Helu does to be a change of pace back.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:45 am

I am sure health issues and performance during competition over the next two months will determine who complements Alfred.

EITHER of the winners looks good to me. We are much better at RB this season than last year. And ... may I remind all of us that our run game was already not too shabby in 2012? :wink:

I feel that the upside of the competing RBs is their ability to catch and block. But ultimately, it does not matter if it is with a different style or pace, whoever complements Alfred needs to produce on the field. The addition of a 2nd and 3rd RB really allows Alfred to have a longer career while maintaining high production. :rock:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:45 pm

yupchagee wrote:I don't think Thompson has been cleared to play, which means he is missing crucial reps. Helu at least has experience in the system. Jamison doesn't have the speed that Helu does to be a change of pace back.

- Thompson is scheduled to be fully cleared for camp. If that is the case, he has yet to miss any crucial reps.

- The only experience that helps Helu is his pass blocking. That's it.

- Helu is faster than Jamison, yes. That speed did us a lot of good on IR last year. Dude has to get healthy.

And really... His highlight reel isn't THAT impressive outside of hurdling a defender. I think Helu gets the benefit of the doubt because he was the best thing we had, at a time when we weren't that good. He seems to suffer from that Royster poor balance disease. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH19VEH9xdo

Jawan's collegiate highlights for comparison - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfobXbtRFuI

May the best man win!
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:41 am

From Darth'a 3rd OTA thread:

Roy Helu - RB - Redskins
Roy Helu (Achilles', toe) practiced Thursday for the first time this offseason.
Helu is coming off February surgery to repair the left toe injury that limited him to three games last season. If he makes the Redskins' final roster, it will be as a third-down back.
Source: Mike Jones on Twitter Jun 6 - 10:59 AM
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 am

All I know is we have real competition at RB this training camp, and I love it. Its not Clinton Portis and a bunch of guys who just got cut from their teams for being old and broken. :)

What do we have, five or six young guys out to earn a spot and make a name for himself?

And personally, I'm not counting any of them out including Helu. Nobody would have guessed Alfred Morris would end up being our starter last year - that guy just went out there and earned. You have to think that sends a message to each one of those guys.

HTTR.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Deadskins wrote:If he makes the Redskins' final roster, it will be as a third-down back.
Source: Mike Jones on Twitter Jun 6 - 10:59 AM

I do not know ... that quote makes it look like a bit of a long shot

particularly because it is a SECOND RB we are really looking for in case Alfred gets hurt.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:47 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:He seems to suffer from that Royster poor balance disease. lol

I think he has excellent balance. I think he is better than Royster in most departments. I remember seeing Portis get tripped up in a huge hole often. Helu rarely goes down on first contact. I see him go down in your highlight link a few times in a way that could call his balance into question but just as often I see someone take a clean shot and bounce off. Then there are the tremendous cut-on-a-dime moves ... and he has excellent hands and is blazing fast. A healthy Helu is our #2 back on my depth chart. Health will be the key. He's still young, inexpensive, and proven. He's Shady McCoy with beef and less mileage. Yeah,I said it.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby yupchagee » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:03 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:He seems to suffer from that Royster poor balance disease. lol

I think he has excellent balance. I think he is better than Royster in most departments. I remember seeing Portis get tripped up in a huge hole often. Helu rarely goes down on first contact. I see him go down in your highlight link a few times in a way that could call his balance into question but just as often I see someone take a clean shot and bounce off. Then there are the tremendous cut-on-a-dime moves ... and he has excellent hands and is blazing fast. A healthy Helu is our #2 back on my depth chart. Health will be the key. He's still young, inexpensive, and proven. He's Shady McCoy with beef and less mileage. Yeah,I said it.

+1
I remember him tiptoeing down the sideline showing amazing balance.
If healthy, he's on the roster.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:36 pm

I agree that this position will end up being who is actually healthy at TC and preseason, and able to seperate themselves by showing playmaking abilities. I have never been a Royster backer....and while Helu has an upside, he certainly needs to be on the field to show that he still has the skill set, and speed, that we need. Personally, I have heard a lot of good things about Thompson out of Fla St....and will be paying close attention to him in the preseason games....with his speed he could be another playmaker in the backfield. Didn't take Morris long last preseason to show me that he was by far our best option at that position. I look for someone else to step up this TC and preseason and show the same....earn the spot behind Morris.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 pm

People who church up Helu then spit on Royster kind of blow my mind.. I guess they forget while Helu had a nice hurdle and a couple of big games, Royster had a higher ypc and rushed for over a hundred yards in both the games he started in. While Helu has some great upside, being on the field s key. Royster gets a lot of hate for some reason but fills any roll we've asked him to, including last season. The kid isn't the all time leading rusher at Penn st. For being a bum... #justsayin
May the best man win! I'm rooting for one of the rooks to do well, and wouldn't mind seeing either of the 3year vets on the bench.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:29 am

DarthMonk wrote:

- I'd agree that he's better than Royster in everyway except for health.
- Portis was playing with Danny Wuerfel and a power run scheme, you're comparing apples to oranges. He had a valid excuse, these guys are running through 4 lane wide holes and start to trip up. lol.
- I'm excited to see Helu back healthy, I want to see a great battle at the #2 spot. I'm pulling for the kid from FSU. His speed is above and beyond any other back we have. Like Helu, hopefully his health will dictate a lot.

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:People who church up Helu then spit on Royster kind of blow my mind.. I guess they forget while Helu had a nice hurdle and a couple of big games, Royster had a higher ypc and rushed for over a hundred yards in both the games he started in. While Helu has some great upside, being on the field s key. Royster gets a lot of hate for some reason but fills any roll we've asked him to, including last season. The kid isn't the all time leading rusher at Penn st. For being a bum... #justsayin
May the best man win! I'm rooting for one of the rooks to do well, and wouldn't mind seeing either of the 3year vets on the bench.

I hear you. I think both will be gone sooner than later. Royster was put in a bad situation I believe, he was asked to run some plays that don't really fit his profile. WHen I say that, I'm referring to screens and such. Typically, he wouldn't be asked to do such things if other players were healthy.

But I agree, Helu isn't much to rave about. I think he's getting a lot of residual love because we haven't seen him in action. When/if he gets on the field, and he's still kinda just bland. Like Royster, it'll be a stark contrast to the explosiveness seen elsewhere on offense. But that's just me assuming, it means nothing.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:31 am

DarthMonk wrote:

- I'd agree that he's better than Royster in everyway except for health.
- Portis was playing with Danny Wuerfel and a power run scheme, you're comparing apples to oranges. He had a valid excuse, these guys are running through 4 lane wide holes and start to trip up. lol.
- I'm excited to see Helu back healthy, I want to see a great battle at the #2 spot. I'm pulling for the kid from FSU. His speed is above and beyond any other back we have. Like Helu, hopefully his health will dictate a lot.

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:People who church up Helu then spit on Royster kind of blow my mind.. I guess they forget while Helu had a nice hurdle and a couple of big games, Royster had a higher ypc and rushed for over a hundred yards in both the games he started in. While Helu has some great upside, being on the field s key. Royster gets a lot of hate for some reason but fills any roll we've asked him to, including last season. The kid isn't the all time leading rusher at Penn st. For being a bum... #justsayin

I hear you. I think both will be gone sooner than later. Royster was put in a bad situation I believe, he was asked to run some plays that don't really fit his profile. WHen I say that, I'm referring to screens and such. Typically, he wouldn't be asked to do such things if other players were healthy.

But I agree, Helu isn't much to rave about. I think he's getting a lot of residual love because we haven't seen him in action. When/if he gets on the field, and he's still kinda just bland. Like Royster, it'll be a stark contrast to the explosiveness seen elsewhere on offense. But that's just me assuming, it means nothing.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:39 am

+1

Chris Luva Luva wrote: I'd agree that he's better than Royster in everyway except for health.

Royster > Helu in every way, except speed. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:- Portis was playing with Danny Wuerfel and a power run scheme, you're comparing apples to oranges. He had a valid excuse, these guys are running through 4 lane wide holes and start to trip up. lol..

Who's handing the tripper the ball is meaningless. I'm talking about Portis doing exactly that ... tripping in a gaping hole ... that's apples to apples. I just woiulda called it Portis disease instead since I think he had is worse than either Royster or Helu.

No hatin' here on Royster. I just think a healthy Helu is superior. Could be wrong.

BTW ... Portis was great (#8 all time in yards per game) ... but he stumbled and tripped through gaping holes weekly. I watched it for years.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football