2013 Projected Depth Chart

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 am

You do realize that the broken back was in his 2011 junior and he came back from that in his senior season to rush for 687 yards (averaging 7.5 yards a carry) and five touchdowns, and also had 21 catches for 248 yards, in eight games before injuring his knee? If anything, that suggests to me that the kid knows how to rehab, has a great work ethic, and loves to play football. Though I'm not entirely sure how bad a broken back is injury wise, don't really come across that very often.

Crapshoot would suggest fairly onerous odds of his staying healthy. Not sure I'd characterize it so direly, but agree that we will have to see.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:20 am

emoses14 wrote:You do realize that the broken back was in his 2011 junior and he came back from that in his senior season to rush for 687 yards (averaging 7.5 yards a carry) and five touchdowns, and also had 21 catches for 248 yards, in eight games before injuring his knee? If anything, that suggests to me that the kid knows how to rehab, has a great work ethic, and loves to play football. Though I'm not entirely sure how bad a broken back is injury wise, don't really come across that very often.

Crapshoot would suggest fairly onerous odds of his staying healthy. Not sure I'd characterize it so direly, but agree that we will have to see.

INHO this back is a small back, and I would classify his injury as a broken SPINE versus a broken back hence my use of Crap Shoot. As big and as fast as these defensive lineman are in today's NFL if I was a coach I would stay away from spinal injuries, especially on a small running back. But hey Mike Shanahan is now on God status here in the DMV. What do I know, I am just a sniveling fan.......

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:50 am

He isn't going to be an every down back, that's Morris's job. He'll be utilized as a change of pace guy and thus have limited carries. IMO, if the back was a huge issue, he would have went undrafted. Guys go undrafted for a lot less than that. A lot of the Florida fans here at work are raving about the kid.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
emoses14 wrote:You do realize that the broken back was in his 2011 junior and he came back from that in his senior season to rush for 687 yards (averaging 7.5 yards a carry) and five touchdowns, and also had 21 catches for 248 yards, in eight games before injuring his knee? If anything, that suggests to me that the kid knows how to rehab, has a great work ethic, and loves to play football. Though I'm not entirely sure how bad a broken back is injury wise, don't really come across that very often.

INHO this back is a small back, and I would classify his injury as a broken SPINE versus a broken back hence my use of Crap Shoot. As big and as fast as these defensive lineman are in today's NFL if I was a coach I would stay away from spinal injuries, especially on a small running back. But hey Mike Shanahan is now on God status here in the DMV. What do I know, I am just a sniveling fan.......

Agreed, he broke his spine. Back was incorrect. But, did you see the part where came back from that without any issues, and got tackled on it, without any issues, and posted big numbers (on track to break single season records at FSU) admittedly before he hurt his knee? In the 5th round, seems like an appropriate gamble.

No need to resort to the last 2 sentences 'cause you're gettin' slammed in your other thread. Around here, you give, you take, we all move on. So long as your crow eating is as healthy as your position staking, no worries. It's all good. 8)
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 am

Plus this kid won't be playing in every run scheme. He'll be relief for Morris which means BOTH players will have a reduced risk of injury. Genius plan!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
rg3togarcon wrote:Yes I do realize he broke his back. But hey if he can come back from that and this ACL tear, the dude is a beast. With the way the NFL is getting rid of pretty much all the contact in the sport now, he may not get hurt. But I think we drafted him as a receiving RB and maybe as a returner.

I do hope he takes Roysters spot.

He's more likely to displace Helu.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
rg3togarcon wrote:Yes I do realize he broke his back. But hey if he can come back from that and this ACL tear, the dude is a beast. With the way the NFL is getting rid of pretty much all the contact in the sport now, he may not get hurt. But I think we drafted him as a receiving RB and maybe as a returner.

I do hope he takes Roysters spot.

He's more likely to displace Helu.

I think Helu could be a very good back if he could stay healthy. I think Helu is leaps and bounds above Royster. Is it me or does Royster seem to fall over his own feet? I hope that this FSU kid is the real deal and hope that Helu can become the back I envision and hope Royster doesn't make it past 2nd cuts. He isn't a NFL back to me and many PSU backs that were beasts in college end up busts, I think Royster will be another PSU record breaker that doesn't last 3 full seasons. But we will see.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:24 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think Helu could be a very good back if he could stay healthy. I think Helu is leaps and bounds above Royster. Is it me or does Royster seem to fall over his own feet?

I personally don't think Royster is as bad as some of you. Though I also identified him as a potential area to upgrade. I'm sure that means I have rose colored glasses on anyway...

...but, I personally am starting to think of Helu in the vein of Malcolm Kelly. I hope he shows up and is healthy in camp and has a great season. Exactly what I said year after year about Kelly...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:50 pm

You might be right but, I wouldn't go that far yet. Last year was his Kelly moment.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:44 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think Helu could be a very good back if he could stay healthy.

We agree.
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think Helu is leaps and bounds above Royster.

We couldn't disagree more. Royster is the best, pure RB of those on the roster last season. His biggest issue is that he goes down too easy, usually after first contact (even though that might be seven yards downfield). He has good hands, and can pass protect. He doesn't have great speed, but he's not slow either. And he played through a nagging injury all season.

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Deadskins wrote:Royster is the best, pure RB of those on the roster last season.

:?:

Maybe I'm missing some context . . . are you including Morris?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Royster is the best, pure RB of those on the roster last season.

Yes I am. I love Morris, and he is a great RB, but I don't consider his skills as a runner as being as good as Royster's. Royster has better vision and makes quicker cuts. But Morris is a much more durable back, is much harder to bring down, and runs with aggression. That is why I used the word "pure" to describe Royster.

Hail to the Redskins!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Let us define PURE:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... an-royster

Stats are cold numbers. 328 yards when healthy??

If that is "pure". I would rather have several VERY UNPURE RBs.

The truth is that our running game has been in the legs of RGIII and Alfred Morris.

Helu and Royster have not contributed even significantly when healthy and obviously next to nothing when hurt. I hope for the best for them but in this Not For Long League, they either produce substantially and very soon during camp and preseason or they are gone.

My bet is that at least one is gone and both will struggle to remain signed.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Helu has been our fastest back for a few years now. He is 6-0 and weighs around 220. He is elusive, presses the soft spot on the stretch play extremely well, and does NOT go down on first contact. He is an excellent receiver. In his rookie season he bested LeSean McCoy by one catch [49-48] and 64 yards [379-315; 7.7 Y/R]. He also ran for 640 yards on 151 carries [4.2 Y/C] and made the all-rookie team. He averages 1 fumble for every 100 touches. As Hogman said, before his injury the only issue was pass pro. I saw definite improvement there. I say a healthy Helu makes this team for sure. Mike drafted competition.

I'm not ready to give up on this guy at all. He is electrifying IF HEALTHY. Big IF, of course.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Yes I am. I love Morris, and he is a great RB, but I don't consider his skills as a runner as being as good as Royster's. Royster has better vision and makes quicker cuts. But Morris is a much more durable back, is much harder to bring down, and runs with aggression. That is why I used the word "pure" to describe Royster.

sooo - Royster in your opinion is the 'better' RB ("better vision and makes quicker cuts") - but I also gather that, in your opinion, Morris is not as good a RB as Royster :roll:
I just couldn't resist that ....

I have so much fun trying to figure out what your posts are about some times ..... :twisted:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football