This writer thinks Shanahan can be compared to Zorn

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

This writer thinks Shanahan can be compared to Zorn

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:39 pm

I wonder how many would give credence to an article claiming that Zorn and Shanahan can be compared as having similar records ...

wins and losses are one thing - Zorn NEVER looked like he could turn this franchise around let alone be able to be an effective NFL Head Coach

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/07/ ... after-all/
Hail to the Redskins

swine

Postby oj » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Well, he is entitled to an opinion. Considering that a requirement of a sports writer is that he needs to be correct, relavent and insightful to keep his clientel interested so that they will continue to read his articles I'd say he missed the mark on all three.
Molon Labe

piglet

Postby paulvs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Even ESPN listed Shanahan as the 19th greatest coach EVER. I wonder where Zorn is on that list. Did you see the writers picture? I think that is cousin Eddie.

I abolutly knew this would happen and said it several times before last season. Shanahan got rung up and down for "giving away" all our draft picks and now when sucess arrives it is all credited to Griffin. I didn't see Zorn putting together a blockbuster trade. If someone like Griffin had been around 4 years ago would Zorn have tinkered the offense the right way to use him?

Postby yupchagee » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:08 am

He is Washington’s representative on the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee

Maybe this explains why such deserving players as Fischer & Jacoby aren't in the Hall.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:52 am

Their records were very close for the first two seasons, but that is leaving out one VERY important part.

When Zorn was hired he took over a team that was a playoff team and that is reflected in the fact that the team went 6-2.

Half of his wins came in his first eight games and then he had a chance to turn the Skins into the laughing stock of the NFL. Yes he had a lot of help in that endeavor. Vinny was as much if not more responsible for the downward spiral!

Shanny took a 4-12 team that was the laughing stock of the NFL and four off seasons in he hasn't had a normal off season yet. His first was the year before the lockout and no first tern free agents were available. The next was the lock out, then the first of the two $18M cap hits, and then this last off season, the last of the cap penalty (hopefully). That is a lot of challenges and we are coming off of a play off appearance and a division title. In three seasons he was able to equal the number of playoff trips that the other five coaches (not named Joe Gibbs) made in 13 seasons. The only other guy to make it was Norv and he took six season to get there.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 pm

This guy's entire argument can be summed up and dismissed in one line from the article:

Consider the bottom line which is all that ultimately matters in the NFL.

Zorn took a borderline playoff team and turned it into a 4-12 nightmare. (Not really his fault, as Snyder and Cerrato were the real authors, but since we're doing HC comparisons.)

Shanahan took a nightmare and had them competing for the playoffs within three seasons: 10-6.

You can try to say it was all RG3 or filter W-L numbers so that the coaches almost look the same if you squint real hard and forget about factors X, Y, and Z for just a second. But if the author wants to sound as objective as the line that began his argument, that won't cut it.

With Zorn, we were losers. With Shanahan, we are winners. The W-L backs it up. Add context from whatever source you want, and it only makes Shanahan look better. The author should have stuck with a raw W-L comparison; that's the closest he'll ever get to making this absurd argument look passable.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:10 am

Irn-Bru wrote:This guy's entire argument can be summed up and dismissed in one line from the article:

Consider the bottom line which is all that ultimately matters in the NFL.

Zorn took a borderline playoff team and turned it into a 4-12 nightmare. (Not really his fault, as Snyder and Cerrato were the real authors, but since we're doing HC comparisons.)

Shanahan took a nightmare and had them competing for the playoffs within three seasons: 10-6.

lol. Well done, man. That pretty well sums up the rebuttal to this article.

What a lame, superficial comparison. Anybody who follows the team knows that these coaches couldn't be more different. More importantly we all know that the teams these coaches have assembled could not be more different.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:45 am

In his defense, Zorn didn't really assemble anything. We had Vinny for that. Shanahan has done a remarkable job rebuilding this franchise in only three years.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piglet

Postby paulvs » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:58 am

If anyone is on the fence about this you just have to remember one thing:

The MNF fake punt (attempts) vs the Giants.

piggie

Postby burgngold4life » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:11 am

That fake punt was the worst thing I've ever seen in football.. after his first attempt was a fail, Giants D adjusted... & HE STILL DID IT AGAIN ANYWAYS!

That was so bad. Smgdh.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Deadskins wrote:In his defense, Zorn didn't really assemble anything. We had Vinny for that. Shanahan has done a remarkable job rebuilding this franchise in only three years.

Agreed. I liked Zorn, and kind of felt bad for him as he was on his way out. He had some good qualities, but that group of guys (coaches and players) was never going to be true team.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:25 pm

The writer deserves to have his fingers broken for even insinuating that they are similar.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:11 pm

The scary part is that the author's bio says he has published a BOOK about the Redskins. Must be insightful.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:19 pm

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/07/22/redskins-park-gets-bigger-weight-room-training-room-and-full-time-chef/

This is why you can't compare the two. It's these changes that made me believe in Mike. He's been doing this since he got here. It's the reason why I felt that he's been a success story before the win column reflected it.

You gotta win Monday-Sunday.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:45 pm

riggofan wrote:The scary part is that the author's bio says he has published a BOOK about the Redskins. Must be insightful.

I VERY much doubt that - this guy obviously does NOT know what is really happening with regards to the Redskins staff and players :roll:
Hail to the Redskins

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football