Wait Until After The Bye??

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:49 pm

I don't understand this wanting to end discussion on a discussion board. Fans enjoy speculating about everything. Why should yapping about RGIII's knee be any different?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 pm

riggofan wrote:I don't understand this wanting to end discussion on a discussion board. Fans enjoy speculating about everything. Why should yapping about RGIII's knee be any different?

no worries here :lol:

I wonder if the lakers are also really concerned about seeing Kobe do this http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... is-running

:nana: gotta love it

how on earth did that happen - guy tears his achilles and now he's running again - NO WAY :lol:

RG3 is not just an athlete - he's better than most :wink:

TALK ABOUT IT all you want - we are going to see RG3 playing QB because his knee is ready to play on

given that - why would he need more time to "heal" :roll:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

08 Champ

Re: Wait Until After The Bye??

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I am not advocating we wait until after the bye to start Griff but over the off season it occasionally surfaced as a possible timetable. Anyway, I was thinking about the possibility and, if it actually happened, what the outcomes could be. Here are a few I came up with.

Imagine Cousins going 3-1 with a win vs. the Eags, a tough loss at Green Bay, a win vs. the Lions, and a win at Oakland. Further imagine a 4 game stat line of 1,000 yards, 68.8% completion rate (his stat last year, #2 in NFL), 8 TDs, 2 picks, and a 101.6 QB rating (his stat last year, #5 in NFL behind Griff).

Now imagine the Dallas game during bye week. It's Griff's 1st start and we are going to Dallas. Instead of them laying in wait to avenge Turkey Day, we are breathing fire in anticipation of Griff's debut. Then Griff lights 'em up in "Griff's House" just like last year.

1 Mike would certainly have bolstered his position as Top Dog.

2 Mike would have showcased Cousins giving the league 4 more chances to see him and essentially cementing his status as a guy well worth trading for.

3 Mike's status as a genius goes through the roof. He has gotten the whole city and the team extra rabid for this game and the Griffskins have slain them. Cousins is even more valuable and pretty darn happy. We are pumped and off to the races.

4 Oh, here's a good one - Mike would have given Griff 5 extra weeks to "heal."

WHY would RG3 need more time to "heal" - IF EVERYONE (not the pessimists here) thinks that the knee is ready to play on, what on earth is to be gained by resting him?

WHY don't we rest all our good players for a few games whenever they get nicked or bruised - BECAUSE that makes absolutely no sense at all

WHY don't you get that he's not playing unless he's ready to play AND get hit?
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:16 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
I agree with you basically but I also am not convinced at all that Dr Andrews, the medical staff, the coaching strafe or even RG3 himself are in any way NOT acting with extreme caution and ARE in fact ensuring that RG3 needs to be here and playing in a Redskins uniform for as long as possible

It's a fact that RG3 is an olympic caliber athlete and Sonny and Sammy were NOT - actually neither was even close to having the athleticism of RG3
as great as both were - I predict that RG3 will be a better leader

given all that - there is ZERO to be gained by holding him out

RG3 WILL NOT be playing UNTIL he's not in ANY WAY risking his future as a QB

EVERYONE concerned - medical, physical, coaches and the player have moved on from last season - it's OVER, It's history - they have all acknowledged that they have learned from that

let it go - watch him play and appreciate that players today are a lot better, a lot fitter, and medical science is amazing

I've found that athletes don't know when to stop. That was the case last season: Griffin wanted to play so Shanahan let him. Bryce Harper has not been the same since he ran into the wall in LA, but he won't take time off.

Incidentally, Baugh was a superb athlete: still holds an NFL record for punting, for many years held the record for interceptions, ran the ball as a single-wing tailback...and would have played shortstop for the Cardinals except that St Louis had an all-star named Marty Marion already there.

As Sonny (proably) said, you don't throw with your beer belly. Sonny's brain and arm were perfect until George Allen retired him. However, he limped on a sorfe ankle for a lot of his last season.

Griffin can be as strong as a Joe Jacoby, but if his knee goes, he'll be finished.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Every player on every snap understands that the risk of a career ending injury is very real

I'm really glad that Dr Andrews, Mike and RG3 are all on the same page about ensuring that we have RG3 playing for as long as possible and as soon as possible

I understan that some are concerned - I'm not and that is solely based on the confidence I have in the athlete, the Dr and the Redskins staff ..

RG3 might get injured but he's certainly not helping this franchise win football games if he's fit and ready to play and we don't play him

THAT is all that matters - you do not win games by not playing the best players you have available to you

Dr Andrews learned from what he did with AP AND from RG3

RG3 HAS learned from what happened last season

Mike HAS learned a lot from all that happened last season

I'm sure they know what they are doing

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:08 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:I am not advocating we wait until after the bye to start Griff but over the off season it occasionally surfaced as a possible timetable. Anyway, I was thinking about the possibility and, if it actually happened, what the outcomes could be. Here are a few I came up with.

Imagine Cousins going 3-1 with a win vs. the Eags, a tough loss at Green Bay, a win vs. the Lions, and a win at Oakland. Further imagine a 4 game stat line of 1,000 yards, 68.8% completion rate (his stat last year, #2 in NFL), 8 TDs, 2 picks, and a 101.6 QB rating (his stat last year, #5 in NFL behind Griff).

Now imagine the Dallas game during bye week. It's Griff's 1st start and we are going to Dallas. Instead of them laying in wait to avenge Turkey Day, we are breathing fire in anticipation of Griff's debut. Then Griff lights 'em up in "Griff's House" just like last year.

2 Mike would have showcased Cousins giving the league 4 more chances to see him and essentially cementing his status as a guy well worth trading for.

3 Mike's status as a genius goes through the roof. He has gotten the whole city and the team extra rabid for this game and the Griffskins have slain them. Cousins is even more valuable and pretty darn happy. We are pumped and off to the races.

what on earth is to be gained by resting him?

Read the post you just quoted.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:15 pm

welch wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
I agree with you basically but I also am not convinced at all that Dr Andrews, the medical staff, the coaching strafe or even RG3 himself are in any way NOT acting with extreme caution and ARE in fact ensuring that RG3 needs to be here and playing in a Redskins uniform for as long as possible

It's a fact that RG3 is an olympic caliber athlete and Sonny and Sammy were NOT - actually neither was even close to having the athleticism of RG3
as great as both were - I predict that RG3 will be a better leader

given all that - there is ZERO to be gained by holding him out

RG3 WILL NOT be playing UNTIL he's not in ANY WAY risking his future as a QB

EVERYONE concerned - medical, physical, coaches and the player have moved on from last season - it's OVER, It's history - they have all acknowledged that they have learned from that

let it go - watch him play and appreciate that players today are a lot better, a lot fitter, and medical science is amazing

I've found that athletes don't know when to stop. That was the case last season: Griffin wanted to play so Shanahan let him. Bryce Harper has not been the same since he ran into the wall in LA, but he won't take time off.

Incidentally, Baugh was a superb athlete: still holds an NFL record for punting, for many years held the record for interceptions, ran the ball as a single-wing tailback...and would have played shortstop for the Cardinals except that St Louis had an all-star named Marty Marion already there.

As Sonny (proably) said, you don't throw with your beer belly. Sonny's brain and arm were perfect until George Allen retired him. However, he limped on a sorfe ankle for a lot of his last season.

Griffin can be as strong as a Joe Jacoby, but if his knee goes, he'll be finished.

+1000

The day RG3 gets conservative on his injury is the day RG3 stops being RG3; its in the DNA of his competitive nature.

"I've found that athletes don't know when to stop." That really says it all right there.

He has yet to prove through his actions that he can & will protect himself. So far, what we've been hearing is the rehab "team" trying to "slow him down" from time to time, RG3 pushing for playing in the exhibition games, and RG3 being a smart @$$ with exaggerated "slides".

Again, I'm not necessarily doubting him, but I am skeptical and hope the man proves me wrong. So far, he sounds the same as he did last year; a hard-headed kid who greatest asset is also his great liability: his fierce competitive nature.

This is his SECOND....repeat....SECOND injury to that knee. If he wasn't hard-headed he would have learned to protect himself the FIRST time. Not saying he shouldn't run (it protects him), but rather he needs to get out of bounds/down faster and rely on his teammates the next play to scrap up that extra yard or two.

At this point, Shanny needs to establish that he's boss and if ANYONE doesn't play his way, they'll be watching their backup play.

In summary, you can't rely on an amazing competitive player to know how to scale himself back while still be effective. Only an experienced coach can teach that, and its solely that coaches responsibility to pull that player aside if that don't listen. As much as I hate to say this, if RG3 is going to be a hard-head the rest of his career I hope he hurries up and gets it out of the way for us before we end up trading Cousins in 2015. If RG3 doesn't start sliding and getting out of bounds well before he's touch, I hope Shanny makes him sit out a couple plays to watch his backup play. Its football, not democracy...Shanny is the great dictator and better start acting more like it.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:43 pm

riggofan wrote:Interesting update on ESPN today.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ... isappoints
Quarterback Robert Griffin III (first round): Still recovering from his knee surgery. The Redskins say he’s on pace to start the opener, but more needs to be seen.

Of course, the knee brace is just for decoration.

So, when he's still wearing it in game 16, are you still going to insist it's proof that the knee is still recovering?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:45 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

the "stuff & fluff" above the points is just pure dreaming and speculation - not worth reading really :lol:

OK - point 1 is not relevant - EVERYONE, 'cept maybe you, KNOWS that Mike is the TOP DOG

2 - WRONG - Mike does not 'showcase' anyone - he's getting his team ready to play

3 - Mike is a good HC - he's not in the slightest bit interested in a title like "genius" - EVERYTHING he does is preparing HIS team to win football games - not win 'awards'

4 WHY does Griffin need 4-5 weeks to heal - he's ready to play - you don't rest players that are ready to play - man oh man - that's just dumb :twisted:

am I missing something :roll:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:55 pm

btw - I'm not going to be surprised to see RG3 play the same way he did last season and for the offense to be very good again because of that

I do expect that he will be a lot wiser about how to play though - he will not be putting himself at risk like he did last season

I'd be very disappointed if RG3 is not even better at both running and passing than he was last season - he may not get the yards but he will use his arms AND his legs to help this offense ...

I fully expect more of the same from Mike, Kyle, RG3 and the whole offense ... only better :wink:

when you can make the Giants defense admit they had no idea what was coming - even with all the film they had before the second game, you keep doing that ... :lol:

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:12 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

the "stuff & fluff" above the points is just pure dreaming and speculation - not worth reading really :lol:

OK - point 1 is not relevant - EVERYONE, 'cept maybe you, KNOWS that Mike is the TOP DOG

2 - WRONG - Mike does not 'showcase' anyone - he's getting his team ready to play

3 - Mike is a good HC - he's not in the slightest bit interested in a title like "genius" - EVERYTHING he does is preparing HIS team to win football games - not win 'awards'

4 WHY does Griffin need 4-5 weeks to heal - he's ready to play - you don't rest players that are ready to play - man oh man - that's just dumb :twisted:

Yeah, you are. Every thing actually.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:19 pm

now why does that ^^ not surprise me ROTFALMAO

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:44 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Jock may be a bit rah rah for me regarding posting about the organization and management, but I think his points in rebuttal were right on.

If RG3 isn't ready to go until after the bye, then we wait until then. But Shannahan doesn't need the shallow ego rush of proving he's the boss, he is. And we certainly don't want to play a guy for 4 weeks as an audition for trading him ... in two more years ...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:21 pm

SkinsJock wrote:now why does that ^^ not surprise me ROTFALMAO

Check your username. I suspect that is why.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:48 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Jock may be a bit rah rah for me regarding posting about the organization and management, but I think his points in rebuttal were right on.

If RG3 isn't ready to go until after the bye, then we wait until then. But Shannahan doesn't need the shallow ego rush of proving he's the boss, he is. And we certainly don't want to play a guy for 4 weeks as an audition for trading him ... in two more years ...

I'll chalk this up to sarcasm. I might as well point by point it.

1 Whether anybody recognizes Mike as top dog or not is beside the point. I said he would have bolstered his position as top dog. Can that really be denied? As an aside, I just heard Sonny Jurgensen on the radio say "Who's the boss here?"

2 Read the scenario I set up for Cousins. Now read my showcase point. I'm not suggesting Mike bench Griff in order to showcase Cousins. I'm saying if that scenario were to play out Mike would have showcased Cousins. How is that incorrect?

3 I never said Mike is interested in the genius label though he may be. Again, That is beside the point. If my scenario were to play out Mike would be lauded as a wise man.

4 This one is too easy. I simply said Mike would have given Griff five more weeks to heal. That is what we call arithmetic.

As Hogman once said, "Read slower."

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football