Cousins injury

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:35 am

Haven't seen any replay yet so help me out.

I was having a beer and I think on the play just before, Cousins ran and slid when a pass play broke down.

The injury play looked more like a designed run or at least a pass with a built in run option as opposed to a guy just taking off when a play broke down. I felt like we tempted fate a little with the play call.

Anybody else see or feel that? Again, have not re-watched and was having a beer.

Thanks.

BTW - here's the end of the play:

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:57 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:I'm bummed out about that Cousins injury because of how it happened. I'm not blaming Timmons exactly, but Cousins was clearly running out of bounds. Timmons tackled him by the ankle about a half yard from him going out of bounds. What was the point of that?

It was a clean play, no question. But still kind of a d-bag move in a preseason game in my opinion.

I STRONGLY disagree - this is NOT flag football

I would love to see our players making that type of tackle and in that position of the playing field, as well - there is a VERY good chance that you'll get the QB going to the ground in a way that might cause him to not be as effective for the next few plays - a VERY good, clean, HIT - IMHO

So you think its a good idea for defensive players to try to injure players in preseason games? To limit their effectiveness in a meaningless preseason game? Awesome. I hope you feel the same way about it if Cousins' MRI shows something that ends his season.

Like I said, there is no question it was a clean play, but it still was a completely unnecessary tackle. Personally I'd just like to see players in these preseason games use a little more caution. I understand this is their opportunity to really tackle and hit before the regular season, but they can be smarter about it.

way to go - get a grip - I did not state that it was "a good idea for defensive players to try to injure players in preseason games?" AND for you to think that I might change my thinking if Cousins gets hurt is just STUPID on your part

BTW - Cousins "could play" next week according to the Redskins on tuesday after an MRI

I just don't see that particular play as anything more than a good tackle and I do not agree that it was an unnecessary tackle :roll:

players that play any game with "a little more caution" will either get hurt or not have a job in the NFL :lol:

maybe ... just maybe - you think they should just play flag football for all the pre season games :twisted:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:21 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:I'm bummed out about that Cousins injury because of how it happened. I'm not blaming Timmons exactly, but Cousins was clearly running out of bounds. Timmons tackled him by the ankle about a half yard from him going out of bounds. What was the point of that?

It was a clean play, no question. But still kind of a d-bag move in a preseason game in my opinion.

I STRONGLY disagree - this is NOT flag football

I would love to see our players making that type of tackle and in that position of the playing field, as well - there is a VERY good chance that you'll get the QB going to the ground in a way that might cause him to not be as effective for the next few plays - a VERY good, clean, HIT - IMHO

So you think its a good idea for defensive players to try to injure players in preseason games? To limit their effectiveness in a meaningless preseason game? Awesome. I hope you feel the same way about it if Cousins' MRI shows something that ends his season.

Like I said, there is no question it was a clean play, but it still was a completely unnecessary tackle. Personally I'd just like to see players in these preseason games use a little more caution. I understand this is their opportunity to really tackle and hit before the regular season, but they can be smarter about it.

way to go - get a grip - I did not state that it was "a good idea for defensive players to try to injure players in preseason games?" AND for you to think that I might change my thinking if Cousins gets hurt is just STUPID on your part

BTW - Cousins "could play" next week according to the Redskins on tuesday after an MRI

I just don't see that particular play as anything more than a good tackle and I do not agree that it was an unnecessary tackle :roll:

players that play any game with "a little more caution" will either get hurt or not have a job in the NFL :lol:

maybe ... just maybe - you think they should just play flag football for all the pre season games :twisted:

What YOU wrote was that tackling the QB might cause him to be less effective for the next few plays. What exactly would make him ineffective other than injury? Grass allergies?

And please explain to me why that tackle was "necessary". Seriously man, I appreciate the hilarious jab that I would like them to play flag football. That's a real zinger. [-o< But really, how exactly was THAT tackle necessary? Cousins was clearly running out of bounds and was less than a half a yard from stepping out when Timmons wrapped him up by the ankles and took him to the ground. He could just as easily have given him a push to send him out of bounds.

You don't think in a preseason game, that a veteran guy like Timmons couldn't have pulled up and let Cousins get out of bounds without risking injury to himself or getting himself cut from the team? Give me a break. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Seems to be your thing, so whatever.

The fact that Cousins may play next week is beside the point. I hope that's the case. He was still knocked out of the game with a sprained ankle that really didn't have to happen. The preseason sucks.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:23 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Haven't seen any replay yet so help me out.

I was having a beer and I think on the play just before, Cousins ran and slid when a pass play broke down.

The injury play looked more like a designed run or at least a pass with a built in run option as opposed to a guy just taking off when a play broke down. I felt like we tempted fate a little with the play call.

Anybody else see or feel that? Again, have not re-watched and was having a beer.

Thanks.

BTW - here's the end of the play:

Thanks for posting that btw. You can clearly see what happened in that play.

I should add though that Kyle deserves a kick in the *** too for calling a QB run. As much as I'm irritated about Timmons, Kyle probably deserves more of the blame if that was the play call. WTF?

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:40 pm

What was wrong with that tackle? It looked like the defender chased down and wrapped up a guy who was still in-bounds. Unfortunate that Kirk got hurt on the play, but that's contact sports.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:01 pm

If a defensive player can get a legit tackle on a QB and make him 'feel bad' after the hit, he should do so - If Timmons had pushed the QB and Cousins had run into or fallen over another player, he could have injured Cousins

you think Timmons should have let him run out of bounds - I disagree - Cousins could have taken the ball upfield - Timmons made the right choice and made a great tackle

poor boy, you're just upset - get over it - it's a game that involves violent tackling - that's part of the game

Cousins himself does not have any issue with what happened - what's your problem?
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:24 pm

SkinsJock wrote:If a defensive player can get a legit tackle on a QB and make him 'feel bad' after the hit, he should do so - If Timmons had pushed the QB and Cousins had run into or fallen over another player, he could have injured Cousins

you think Timmons should have let him run out of bounds - I disagree - Cousins could have taken the ball upfield - Timmons made the right choice and made a great tackle

poor boy, you're just upset - get over it - it's a game that involves violent tackling - that's part of the game

Cousins himself does not have any issue with what happened - what's your problem?

SJ,
Nothing was wrong with that play. However, I can understand how some don't like it. Kirk was going out of bounds, the tackle wasn't nessecary in the preseason, and Timmons could have hurt himself or drawn a 15 yarder.
Rambo had a 15 yarder called on a play last week for shoving a guy that was still short of the goal line and 3 yards from the sideline. The player was still in the field of play when the contact was made and he still got the yellow hankie.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:42 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:If a defensive player can get a legit tackle on a QB and make him 'feel bad' after the hit, he should do so - If Timmons had pushed the QB and Cousins had run into or fallen over another player, he could have injured Cousins

SJ,
Nothing was wrong with that play. However, I can understand how some don't like it. Kirk was going out of bounds, the tackle wasn't nessecary in the preseason, and Timmons could have hurt himself or drawn a 15 yarder.
Rambo had a 15 yarder called on a play last week for shoving a guy that was still short of the goal line and 3 yards from the sideline. The player was still in the field of play when the contact was made and he still got the yellow hankie.

THANK YOU.

Hog

Postby grampi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Alberich is a Crackboys fan...

piglet

Postby Alberich » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:48 pm

grampi wrote:Alberich is a Crackboys fan...
Hardly. Nice attempt.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:51 pm

SkinsJock wrote:If a defensive player can get a legit tackle on a QB and make him 'feel bad' after the hit, he should do so

Ooookay. So you're asking defensive players to just hit people hard enough to make them "feel bad", but not enough to injure. Freaking brilliant. Obviously I know that's not what you're saying, but since we're taking arguments to absurd lengths, why not?

SJ, I guess my point is this. In training camp and practice, maybe scrimmages, these players have some restrictions placed on them to reduce the risk of injuries. My personal opinion is that I'd be happy to see some caution taken during the preseason also. As a football fan, I just personally hate seeing guys injured in these games even players from other teams. I want to see guys on the field when the games matter.

If you're okay with the preseason status quo, then great. You're certainly not alone in that opinion.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:17 pm

You can make my point for me all you like - that seems to be the way you like to go - have at it :lol:

to clarify - I do NOT like any players getting hurt in pre season games and I am all for holding out players in these games .. ONLY put the guys on the field that you need to evaluate ...
I am NOT a fan of pre season games but that is a part of the NFL "business" and players are going to get hurt - it happens - this is a violent game
despite their efforts to help 'protect' players the NFL actually likes the 'violence'

however - injuries are a part of the game and if you want to put a QB out there and have him run around and risk his getting hit trying to get out of bounds - then that is a big risk that you are taking - these guys should NOT hold back in their tackles - that is BS

as Gruden pointed out last night - a lot of these injuries are not caused by the players that do the hitting but also by the QB putting the ball in the wrong place OR the coach getting his players to try and make plays that have a high risk of injury

Pittsburgh has always had players on defense that hit VERY hard and that team gets a lot of fines levied against them
I doubt that you could persuade them to be more 'gentle' in the pre season - but you seem to think that is the way to go - have at it :roll:

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:35 pm

REMINDER...
I'm seeing multiple posts getting more personal...

At THN.com, we address the POST... not the POSTER... ESPECIALLY if we have a problem with the post...

Better still, if you have a problem with the poster, or his/her message, how about ignoring? Additionally, SMACK forum is available. Take it there.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:00 pm

BOT - Cousins is not injured although it will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets this weekend ... or, in the last game!

Postby yupchagee » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 pm

SkinsJock wrote:BOT - Cousins is not injured although it will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets this weekend ... or, in the last game!

My guess is that Rex & White will get all the snaps in the remaining preseason games.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football