Where to stay

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Where to stay

Postby jha1130 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Hello! I am surprising my boyfriend with tickets to the Redskins/Giants game on 12-1-13... Its about a 4 hour drive away so I am looking at hotels to stay at... I want to stay somewhere there will be a lot of fans going to the game as well... It doesnt need to be walking distance, my tickets included a parking pass bc I am wanting to tailgate... Needless to say he is going to be very excited when I give him these tickets so I am wanting to make this experience the best possible. So I am counting on you guys to give me some tips on where to stay and etc. to make this the best possible trip! Thank you so much!

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:43 pm

If the quality of play doesn't improve, you may want to stay HOME. :)

Postby jha1130 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:08 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:If the quality of play doesn't improve, you may want to stay HOME. :)

wow you're so amusing ;) however I don't find that answer very relevant!

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Considering the team's play is pretty poor right now, that actually is kind of relevant :(

If it were me making the trip, I'd get the nicest room possible in a hotel near some good restaurants/activities. Even if the game goes badly, there's other stuff to do to salvage the weekend. jmho
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Postby jha1130 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:36 pm

well he's mentioned before that he wouldn't care how bad the seats were or the game is, he just wants the experience. so... like I've asked in the original post... where is a good place to stay?

cleg

Postby cleg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:24 am

I have stayed a couple times in the hotels off the beltway a couple miles away. Do a google search of fedex field then on the map page enter hotels. But, those are sort of utilitarian places - clean and safe. If you want a better experience outside of just the game you should book a place in the District. The stadium is sort of in the middle of no where - I still hate that they left the District but that is just me. Good luck and enjoy. It will be fun no matter what and they will likely be playing better by then.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:03 am

Rules to enjoy game day and tailgating:

#1 rule (beyond all others by far) - STAY OFF THE BELTWAY

> there are way too many ways to get into and out of the stadium w/o sitting in trafic with all the other morons on the beltway (I495)

#2 rule - get there early - lots open up 4 hours prior to kick off

#3 rule - Stay off the Beltway

#4 rule - park as far from the stadium as you can! I park in the very first spot I come to. It makes getting out easy!

*5 rule - stay off the Beltway

#6 rule - Eat and drink all you want while you are tailgating and don't buy anything in the stadium that way you won't complain about prices.

#7 rule - stay of the beltway

Now the stadium is not out in the middle no where as Cleg would have you believe. It is 8 miles by car from RFK and 7 miles as the crow flys. However, I wouldn't stay near the stadium, not the best area and not that much to see. Of course the same can be said for where RFK is and neither cites are as bad as Nationals Park! Stay in the district at a nice (but EXPENSIVE) hotel and go see some of the city, make a site seeing tour out of it.

On the weekend the trafic in the city isn't bad, but have a good navigator because DC is kind of confusing in areas. If you plan on getting to the stadium three or four hours before kick off you will only need 30-45 mins to get to the stadium because no one seems to want to drive through the city to get to FedEx. Most of the people that live in Virginia use the beltway and complain about the traffic.

If I could offer one more bit of advice... STAY OFF THE BELTWAY :)
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby jha1130 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:20 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:Rules to enjoy game day and tailgating:

#1 rule (beyond all others by far) - STAY OFF THE BELTWAY

> there are way too many ways to get into and out of the stadium w/o sitting in trafic with all the other morons on the beltway (I495)

#2 rule - get there early - lots open up 4 hours prior to kick off

#3 rule - Stay off the Beltway

#4 rule - park as far from the stadium as you can! I park in the very first spot I come to. It makes getting out easy!

*5 rule - stay off the Beltway

#6 rule - Eat and drink all you want while you are tailgating and don't buy anything in the stadium that way you won't complain about prices.

#7 rule - stay of the beltway

Now the stadium is not out in the middle no where as Cleg would have you believe. It is 8 miles by car from RFK and 7 miles as the crow flys. However, I wouldn't stay near the stadium, not the best area and not that much to see. Of course the same can be said for where RFK is and neither cites are as bad as Nationals Park! Stay in the district at a nice (but EXPENSIVE) hotel and go see some of the city, make a site seeing tour out of it.

On the weekend the trafic in the city isn't bad, but have a good navigator because DC is kind of confusing in areas. If you plan on getting to the stadium three or four hours before kick off you will only need 30-45 mins to get to the stadium because no one seems to want to drive through the city to get to FedEx. Most of the people that live in Virginia use the beltway and complain about the traffic.

If I could offer one more bit of advice... STAY OFF THE BELTWAY :)

haha! thank you so much! i will make sure to stay off the beltway!! and I'll begin looking for hotels in the district now :) thank you!!!

cleg

Postby cleg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Having lived in DC when it was an easy ride to RFK, then Baltimore where I could walk to Camden Yards, then Philly where it was an easy subway ride to the stadiums FedEx is in the middle of nowhere. It is literally in a field, next to a mega-church off the beltway. Not much to do and a mile walk from the train. So, yeah, not literally the middle of no where of course but not convenient either.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:58 pm

cleg wrote:Having lived in DC when it was an easy ride to RFK, then Baltimore where I could walk to Camden Yards, then Philly where it was an easy subway ride to the stadiums FedEx is in the middle of nowhere. It is literally in a field, next to a mega-church off the beltway. Not much to do and a mile walk from the train. So, yeah, not literally the middle of no where of course but not convenient either.

ANything inside the capital beltway is not in the middle of no where and while FedEx's subway station isn't as close as RFK's you still have two that are less than 1.5 miles from the stadium and both of them are closer than some of the cash parking lots.

I find FedEx MUCH easier to get in and out of than RFK was. RFK was such a pain that you almost had take the subway and to me tailgating is more than half of the game day experience. Last Sunday I drove past the stadium on a non-game day (obviously) and it took me 50 minutes to get home. And on a game day it takes me 50 - 60 minutes to get home. From the time I get into my car at FedEx it has NEVER taken me more than an hour and fifteen minutes to get home, but like I said I almost always park close to the exit.

Again, FedEx is 7 miles from RFK and less than 4 miles from the DC / MD line. I can't see how that 7 miles can cause a stadium to be considered "out in the middle of no where". For me this is something the Va Skins fans say and of course the morons in the media who almost never go to the games.

If you put it seven miles in the opposite direction from RFK then it would put it near the Crystal City, Arlington, Baileys Cross roads area and what a paint that would be. Now it would be closer to get to for the Va fans, but not that much easier. I'm sure NOVA fans would LOVE to see it in Fairfax or Manassas and the people that don't tailgate would like to get back inside the district close enough to a subway station that even fat out of shape people wouldn't mind walking from the station to the stadium.

Maybe, I'm hypersensitive to the complaints about the stadium location because I live in St Mary's County and the FedEx is a peice of cake to get to for me and I'm SO happy I don't have to go into NOVA or take the subway into the District to watch a game.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:41 pm

My wife and I drive up from Va. Bch for games. We tried staying in downtown DC, and that is ok, but now we prefer to stay at the Embassy Suites in Tysons Corner. Embassy suites has a 2 hour managers special from 1730 - 1930 (open bar), then they have a duty van that will drive you to any restaurant in the general area, and there are several in all price ranges. We enjoy the Palm. Next morning, the hotel has breakfast / eggs to order.....which we partake, then drive to the game. It is about a 30 minute drive from there to FEDEX as it is on other side of DC.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Isn't there a hotel/motel on Central Ave? Considering the stadium is off Central it may be the easiest thing to do.

by the way.. STAY OFF THE BELTWAY!!!

:lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:03 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Isn't there a hotel/motel on Central Ave? Considering the stadium is off Central it may be the easiest thing to do.

by the way.. STAY OFF THE BELTWAY!!!

:lol:

I don't know if I would want to stay on Central Ave. I would use it to get in and out of the stadium in a heart beat, but I can't say I would want to stay there over night.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football