We are like a circus show right now

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4742
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:
riggofan wrote:I could really care less whether RGIII enjoys the spotlight or whether he is eating humble pie now or not. He can go out and make "RGIII: Superstar: The Movie" next summer for all I care. I just want the team to get back to winning. We're not losing because RGIII wore an "operation patience" t-shirt.

IMO He's the same guy we all loved last year. The only difference is that he's coming off a serious knee injury and can't make up for our woeful offensive line and defense problems like he did last year. It might not happen quick enough for some "fans", but RGIII will be fine.


to say anyone is only a "fan" because they might have a different opinion then you on RG3 is beyond absurd..


I don't think I said that. And I trade messages on here every day with fans who have different opinions than I do about the team.

I just don't have much patience for the "fans" around DC who were all on the RGIII bandwagon last year, but two games into this season are calling into the radio attacking RGIII personally like this. The guy is who he is on a personal level. His sense of showmanship sure never seemed to bother anybody when he led us to the playoffs as a rookie.

So yeah, he probably is having to eat some humble pie right now, no doubt. I still think RGIII will have the last laugh.

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11079
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:48 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:how can you prove if anyone has bought into the hype? there is no way of doing such a thing and its a weak attempt to make your point


See my signature. Definite proof is not impossible to find when someone has truly drunk the kool aid.

The burden of proof is one the people who think RGIII has been arrogant. Why can't anyone bring up a quote or string of quotes, or cite behavior that at least suggests it? Throw me a bone here. Saying "You just think it's heresy to ever criticize RGIII ever" is a red herring. I never said anything like that. I just asked for some proof on a point that IMHO is not at all obvious.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ
Posts: 13383
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I agree with both FFA and riggofan ... I think that RG3 is over anxious to help and play as well as he can ... I just have not seen any indication at all that he's into the hype ....

I think that he's trying his best to make things work for his team rather than for himself

there are lots of playmakers here and this team will start to click .... hopefully this Sunday ... :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 2040
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Buying into the hype:

"to be the best, you've gotta beat the best [I mean me]. Wooooooooo!"
-Ric Flair

"Do you smell what the Rock is cookin?"
-The Rock

"I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be."
-Bret Hart

"I love me some me"
-Terrell Owens

"It's not bragging if you can back it up"
-Muhammed Ali (I love him, don't necessarily disagree, but saying this must be included in "buying into the hype")

-"I'm the Greatest"
-Muhammed Ali (Id.)

Not buying into the hype:

Robert Griffin III wrote:
At this point, it doesn’t matter what anybody else does, it matters what we go out and do. And as long as we stay together as a team in the locker room, then we can still go out and be successful. You don’t want anyone to go start pointing the finger or anything like that. Like they say, before you point a finger, you’ve got to look in the mirror and we all got to be a lot more accountable for what goes on on that field and we’ll do it.
-September 18, 2013

“You have to trust your preparation. You trust your foundation. I put the work into the offseason to make sure that I was OK coming into the season, and that’s what you trust. You trust God that he’ll protect you, and you go out and you play fearless.”
-September 11,2 013

"Whether it’s Coach, the doctors, the decision for me to play Week 1—if they want me to be patient now and ramp it up later, then I’m wiling to do that,’’ he said. “They know that I’m gonna be—I don’t want to say ‘compliant,’ but I’ll follow those rules, follow those guidelines, do as much as I can within that, and when it’s time to go full-go, I’ll be ready to go."
-July 24, 2013

"Like Coach said — he's 100% right — I don't have to understand it," Griffin said. "I don't have to like it."
-August 13, 2013


All of us bring our opinions on how someone should behave at a given time or what tone we think they should take in a given circumstance. He may (surely does) have a ton of flaws of which we are not aware, but there is just zero evidence to support he's bought into the hype. Plenty of evidence of hype, evidence that fans have bought into it, but not so much of him doing so. A t-shirt that says "OPeration Patience" is evidence that he's bought into hype? Hype of what, that he has to be patient?I am happy to be proven wrong.

We can say its our opinion he has all we want, so long as we can accept that our perception is not reality.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11079
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:10 pm

emoses14 wrote:Buying into the hype:

"to be the best, you've gotta beat the best [I mean me].

I got this far into it thinking this was an RGIII quote before I realized what you were doing. :lol:

A very nice post followed:
All of us bring our opinions on how someone should behave at a given time or what tone we think they should take in a given circumstance. He may (surely does) have a ton of flaws of which we are not aware, but there is just zero evidence to support he's bought into the hype. Plenty of evidence of hype, evidence that fans have bought into it, but not so much of him doing so. A t-shirt that says "OPeration Patience" is evidence that he's bought into hype? Hype of what, that he has to be patient?I am happy to be proven wrong.

We can say its our opinion he has all we want, so long as we can accept that our perception is not reality.


Needless to say, I agree.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16139
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 pm

If by "buying into the hype" you mean that he played extremely well last year (rookie of the year) and he knows it, then I agree with you. Washington is a slightly larger market than Indy or Seattle, but I can guarantee you that if you lived in those markets you'd think that those players were hyped just as much.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:39 am

Deadskins wrote:If by "buying into the hype" you mean that he played extremely well last year (rookie of the year) and he knows it, then I agree with you. Washington is a slightly larger market than Indy or Seattle, but I can guarantee you that if you lived in those markets you'd think that those players were hyped just as much.

Probably so locally. I did not hear one word about Andrew Luck on a national level at all in the offseason. And he was supposed to be the best of his draft class.

No one sees even the slightest bit of arrogance (or confidence, depending on your viewpoint) in RGIII? Really? The guy produced his own documentary about his comeback to the NFL. Not saying that a little arrogance isn't a good thing, but some people really need to take the blinders off. And it's kind of funny when Shanny says something in a presser it's referred to as "coach speak". But Griffin's words are gospel. Our fanbase really is weird.

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11079
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:45 am

"Blinders," "gospel," "sacrelige" . . . MEH.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16139
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:37 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:I did not hear one word about Andrew Luck on a national level at all in the offseason. And he was supposed to be the best of his draft class.

God, I did. In fact, I was a little pissed off by the way every time they talked about young QBs, it was always Wilson, Kapernick, Luck. After a few minutes of that someone would always throw in "and RGIII." It was as if he didn't win the ROY. The only time they talked about RGIII, was to give an update on his knee. I don't live in the DC area, so the only news I get is at the national level. I think you're suffering from localized overexposure, that you're mistaking for national.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 am

Deadskins wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:I did not hear one word about Andrew Luck on a national level at all in the offseason. And he was supposed to be the best of his draft class.

God, I did. In fact, I was a little pissed off by the way every time they talked about young QBs, it was always Wilson, Kapernick, Luck. After a few minutes of that someone would always throw in "and RGIII." It was as if he didn't win the ROY. The only time they talked about RGIII, was to give an update on his knee. I don't live in the DC area, so the only news I get is at the national level. I think you're suffering from localized overexposure, that you're mistaking for national.

ESPN and NFL Network had the constant "updates" on Griffin's status and quotes from his pressers. "THE LEAD" on ESPN's score tracker actually had one of Griffin's tweets about being cleared. There was nothing (that I saw anyway) that was shown or said about Luck. Mostly RGIII with Wilson also taking a lot of the spotlight.

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 pm

I don't think there is anyway to tell what he has brought into one way or the other, I think his parents try to keep him grounded, but I think he is being pulled from all sides. For me my issue is him saying he is 100% because he doesn't look anything like he did last year, I know he is coming back from injury but he looks slower, more hesitant and just outright flat. He seems to be forcing things and I think all this coupled with the fact that we have serious issues with the O-Line and the entire Defensive Coaching staff is making this more pronounced. Unless someone carries a hidden microphone around RG 0-3 for a while for 24 hours a day there is no way to really tell what he has brought into or if he really believes his own hype........Heck lets look at Von Miller, look at how nice and professional he came off as in front of the camera, but now we get to see the real picture of who he is, a crooked weed smoking young man that violated rules and the trust of his own fans. For all we know RG 0-3 could be the same type of person, we just don't know either way......

08 Champ
Posts: 13383
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:33 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I don't think there is anyway to tell what he has brought into one way or the other, I think his parents try to keep him grounded, but I think he is being pulled from all sides. For me my issue is him saying he is 100% because he doesn't look anything like he did last year, I know he is coming back from injury but he looks slower, more hesitant and just outright flat. He seems to be forcing things and I think all this coupled with the fact that we have serious issues with the O-Line and the entire Defensive Coaching staff is making this more pronounced. Unless someone carries a hidden microphone around RG 0-3 for a while for 24 hours a day there is no way to really tell what he has brought into or if he really believes his own hype........Heck lets look at Von Miller, look at how nice and professional he came off as in front of the camera, but now we get to see the real picture of who he is, a crooked weed smoking young man that violated rules and the trust of his own fans.
For all we know RG 0-3 could be the same type of person, we just don't know either way......


:shock: WRONG - I'm pretty sure about what type of person RG3 is and IMO you don't have a clue about him or what he's going through

RG3 (and Kyle) have not yet made the adjustments to what the DCs are doing defensively ...
RG3 is physically fine, he's not as comfortable with the offense or what the defenses are doing, is all
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:20 am

I do not think for a second that Griffin is fully "physically fine". If he was, there would be no need for a knee brace. He's getting there, but not there yet.

ch1
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: We are like a circus show right now

Postby crazyhorse1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:42 am

funsho2 wrote:I like rg3 but he is eating an humble pie right now.....

Dude was preaching operation patience....yet we now found that he isn't ready.....

Doing the espn documentary about his rehab.....that was too much media exposure ....

He should learn from russell wilson and andrew luck.....they dont crave the media attention that rg3 wants....and then fall flat

rg3 is learning right now how the media hypes you up and tears you down.....


Actually, Luck is not doing so well now. He trails RG3 in yardage by several hundred in spite of obvious advantages.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4742
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:55 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:I do not think for a second that Griffin is fully "physically fine". If he was, there would be no need for a knee brace. He's getting there, but not there yet.


hah. Don't go there. I made the point about the knee brace before the season and had a dozen posters jump on me.

"Bah!! He's just wearing that knee brace for comfort! Bah bah bah!"

I still think its insane to believe any athlete is going to be completely back to normal this soon after major knee surgery. But I will say I thought RGIII looked much more like his old self last week vs. the Lions. Maybe just a mental/confidence thing playing his third game. People can doubt all they want, but I think he's going to break out soon.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football