Post game Skins @ Dallas

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: Panama

Postby gushogs » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:24 am

I don't know in what order, but special teams, OL and penalties killed us today.
RG3 improved a lot and looked close to the guy from last year, but the OL got manhandled by a mediocre DL.
No offensive TD's in the 1st half of 5 games is shameful.

HaiL,
Enough of this name change sh*t!!!
Get politicians out of office. Then they'll forget about the REDSKINS, because they'll be WORKING!!!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:47 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx

Postby funsho2 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 am

The coaching staff are mediocre ....they are hiding behind rg3 success last year.....you have a 1st down after jordan reed 29 yard gain....with 36 secs left....but didnt call a time out .....only for an incomplete pass stopping the clock at 15 secs....then running a qb draw WTF WTF WTF

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 am

I'm sure the thinking was that Dallas had been playing the pass and that there wasn't going to be a spy on the QB. Also, the Oline stayed home so I was wondering if there was a pass option. In their defense, he got down to the 2 yd line. Unfortunately we just ran out of time.

The offensive line was terrible last night. They couldn't block the starters or the backups. They seemed to have a terrible time to have their worst game. What frustrates me the most is the defense played lights out last night. So much better than expected or have played easily their best game of the year.

The special teams better get this fixed fast because Devin Hester is coming next week and I don't want to be hangin with my buddy (who's a bears fan) and getting lit up.

Lastly, someone will need to step up in the WR corps. They have to learn how to get off coverage. They also need to utilize Moss more because he's the only WR who seems to know how to run routes vs zone coverage which we see a lot of btw.

ps - Can someone figure out how the hell to run a hurry up offense in the last 5 mins of the game when you're down two scores!!!! It's one thing to run a hurry up w/ 14 mins in the 2nd qtr but how about at the end of the game.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:09 am

IMHO, the OL contributed most to the loss. They were just horrendous. They couldn't open holes for Morris and didn't give RGIII adequate protection. I personally felt this was the first "bad game" by our OL -- so that says something. On top of that, KS called a bad game. They should have run more stretch plays and less up the gut as that was clearly not working.

Although Dallas scored 31, our D actually had their best outing of the season. DHall did a great job on Bryant and our LBs on Whitten. 14 points were scored off special teams and from an RGIII fumble at the 4 yard line. Take those away and our D only gave up 17 --- which is acceptable.

RGIII also appears to be improving, but still has a good deal to go until he is back to form. I did see things I really liked, but he still is playing --- for lack of a better word --- scared. He hesitates/tenses up when defenders get close. Once RGIII gets over this, it will greatly help him and Morris.

If I were to place blame --- #1 goes to the OL and a close second to RGIII as he gave up 2 HUGE TOs. I liked what I saw from a progression standpoint, but he still has a L-O-N-G way to go.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 am

markshark84 wrote:IMHO, the OL contributed most to the loss. They were just horrendous. They couldn't open holes for Morris and didn't give RGIII adequate protection. I personally felt this was the first "bad game" by our OL -- so that says something. On top of that, KS called a bad game. They should have run more stretch plays and less up the gut as that was clearly not working.

Although Dallas scored 31, our D actually had their best outing of the season. DHall did a great job on Bryant and our LBs on Whitten. 14 points were scored off special teams and from an RGIII fumble at the 4 yard line. Take those away and our D only gave up 17 --- which is acceptable.

RGIII also appears to be improving, but still has a good deal to go until he is back to form. I did see things I really liked, but he still is playing --- for lack of a better word --- scared. He hesitates/tenses up when defenders get close. Once RGIII gets over this, it will greatly help him and Morris.

If I were to place blame --- #1 goes to the OL and a close second to RGIII as he gave up 2 HUGE TOs. I liked what I saw from a progression standpoint, but he still has a L-O-N-G way to go.
I also failed to mention the three trips to the redzone that only got 9 points instead of a single touchdown. Not sure if that's play calling, execution whatever but you have to take a chance once and we didn't do that.

By the way, is RG3 just terrible at catching a fade or is there no one on the team who can catch it? I haven't seen a fade all season.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4754
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 am

markshark84 wrote:If I were to place blame --- #1 goes to the OL and a close second to RGIII as he gave up 2 HUGE TOs. I liked what I saw from a progression standpoint, but he still has a L-O-N-G way to go.


I just don't see how you can overlook two 90 yard kickoff returns/punt returns. Those completely changed the game.

Turnovers happen in every game. Romo turned the ball over last night too. He just didn't have to catch up from the special teams spotting the other team two scores.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4754
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:20 am

I do get the frustration with the OL. I mean, that RGIII run in the first half should have been a score if Will Montgomery could have made ONE block. And the Cowboys line was completely depleted, no Ware, etc; I just don't think they were the #1 issue last night. We still moved the ball.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:24 am

Our offense has managed to score ONE TOUCHDOWN in the first half in 5 games. You cannot ignore that. Sure special teams sucked bad last night, but our offense continued to go out there and either settle for a FG or turn it over. The turnover right on our 4 yard line is what cost the game. We were still in it, only 8 points down. Our offense is awful, top to bottom. I don't see much improvement considering we didn't even score a touchdown until the 3rd quarter! On the positive side, I thought our D looked much, much better.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 am

riggofan wrote:
markshark84 wrote:If I were to place blame --- #1 goes to the OL and a close second to RGIII as he gave up 2 HUGE TOs. I liked what I saw from a progression standpoint, but he still has a L-O-N-G way to go.


I just don't see how you can overlook two 90 yard kickoff returns/punt returns. Those completely changed the game.

Turnovers happen in every game. Romo turned the ball over last night too. He just didn't have to catch up from the special teams spotting the other team two scores.


No --- you are absolutely correct. I'm not sure where my mind was on that one. Special teams is tied for 1st with the OL. That said, our offense is horrible. They can't score and giving up the ball. They are a serious liablity.

As far as the TOs --- they happen in games --- but they need to be limiited and SHOULD NOT happen in crucial times. That is one of those things that separates the winners from losers. The OL contributed to RGIII's fumble, BUT he should have sensed that pressure.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:29 am

This is becoming more and more like watching the games in 2011 with Grossman or Beck...just awful, awful football on offense, IMO.

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:30 am

SkinsJock wrote:
Burgundy&Wha? wrote:We have a number of holes to fill. It'll be a few seasons until we can fill those and become a more complete team. Until then, win some lose some.


I don't fully agree - we we're more hurt by the cap BS than we thought ... we're not far off the pace really and we do have a lot to look forward to with this great QB

does not look good for this season but I think we'll see a lot of things to 'build on' as well

I agree. .. as long as Snyder doesn't fire the Shanaclan at the end of the season.

I think that would be a huge mistake! But I could see it happening.

I would love to see Shanny get his first normal off-season to build the team. His first year no first term FA were available because of the up coming lock out. His second season he had to deal with the lock out. The next two he was hamstrung by John Mara. This will be his first normal off-season.

Also, it will be good to be able to work on some of Roberts serious flaws
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:41 am

No question. You have to give him another season and let's not forget that he had a 5 year plan and next year will be the 5th. I think there is talent on the team but it's still a very young team.

Most won't want to hear this but we've got to find someone to replace Fletcher. He's just not himself in terms of athleticism.

We also have to shore up the offensive line. A true RT will go a long way and depending on how the remainder of the season goes, we may need to find another one or two interior offensive linemen.

Most importantly we HAVE to find guys who want to play special teams. We are really missing the James Thrash's, Mike Sellers & Lorenzo Alexanders of the world. Who is that guy on our team?

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4754
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:58 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:The turnover right on our 4 yard line is what cost the game. We were still in it, only 8 points down.


That's a ridiculous statement. We were only 8 points down at that point? So what would the score have been if special teams had not spotted them 14 points off two returns???

I don't argue that the fumble kept us from a realistic chance at coming back in the game.

And lastly, I just want to say that all of this stuff about "our offense sucks" is just a gross oversimplification. We rushed for 216 yards. Dallas had 48. We passed for 246 yds v. Dallas 170. We gave up two turnovers to Dallas' one. If you didn't know the final score and I gave you those stats, especially the rushing stats, who would you think won the game?

I'm not usually big on blaming Kyle, but it really looked last night like the play calling once we got inside the 30 was just bad. Did we ever take any shots in the end zone at all? The decisions there just seemed really weird.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:08 am

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:The turnover right on our 4 yard line is what cost the game. We were still in it, only 8 points down.


That's a ridiculous statement. We were only 8 points down at that point? So what would the score have been if special teams had not spotted them 14 points off two returns???

What would the score have been if our offense actually showed up and scored some TD's in the first half?

riggofan wrote:And lastly, I just want to say that all of this stuff about "our offense sucks" is just a gross oversimplification. We rushed for 216 yards. Dallas had 48. We passed for 246 yds v. Dallas 170. We gave up two turnovers to Dallas' one. If you didn't know the final score and I gave you those stats, especially the rushing stats, who would you think won the game?

Oversimplification?! Really? What games have you watched this year? We could have had 999 rushing yards with the same exact score and I'd still be p.o.'ed. Points matter. Yards do not. Our offense, yet again, failed to score a touchdown in the first half. And Griffin looked even worse in the 2nd half. Horrible throws, he stood in the pocket too long, etc. And our offensive line did not make matters any better, because they didn't even exist for most of the game. It is not a simplification to state that our offense sucks. It is fact.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4754
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:What would the score have been if our offense actually showed up and scored some TD's in the first half?


I don't know. I guess if we scored two TDs in the first half instead of two FGs, then we would have had 14 points instead of six. But because we gave up two 90 yard returns, we would still be losing 21-14.

StorminMormon86 wrote:Oversimplification?! Really? What games have you watched this year? We could have had 999 rushing yards with the same exact score and I'd still be p.o.'ed. Points matter. Yards do not. Our offense, yet again, failed to score a touchdown in the first half.


I totally agree with that, so you're missing my point. Last night we consistently moved the ball, but consistently stalled in and near the red zone. The problem wasn't that "the offense sucked". The problem was that we didn't we finish drives.

It looked to me like we get conservative and/or cute with the play calling when we get in scoring position. I think the scoring problem has a lot more to do with play calling than just "our offense sucks".

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football