Merriweather Deserves A Suspension

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Posts: 13104
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Merriweather Deserves A Suspension

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:15 pm

there's an old expression about tackling - no matter how big or how fast, nobody goes very far when their ankles are held together - too many players in the NFL try to hit the other player and do not make sure that they wrap him up when they're making a tackle

there's no doubt that helmets are a good idea but they should not be used as weapons

as good as he is, Meriweather would be even better if he is able to stay away from drawing penalties
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4477
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Merriweather Deserves A Suspension

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:40 pm

SkinsJock wrote:there's an old expression about tackling - no matter how big or how fast, nobody goes very far when their ankles are held together - too many players in the NFL try to hit the other player and do not make sure that they wrap him up when they're making a tackle


True. Here's my question to you though: if your arms are wrapping up a players knees, which of his body parts do you think your helmet and/or shoulder are hitting?

08 Champ
Posts: 13104
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Merriweather Deserves A Suspension

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:46 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:there's an old expression about tackling - no matter how big or how fast, nobody goes very far when their ankles are held together - too many players in the NFL try to hit the other player and do not make sure that they wrap him up when they're making a tackle


True. Here's my question to you though: if your arms are wrapping up a players knees, which of his body parts do you think your helmet and/or shoulder are hitting?


not sure what you're getting at?

let me ask a question in return - the Redskins defensive players seem to have a problem 'making' tackles … from what we've seen, what would you suggest our defensive players do to improve on their tackling

IMO - there seems to be more effort being made to 'hit' the opposing player and not enough effort being made to tackle him effectively or to wrap him up
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

FanFromAnnapolis
Online
Posts: 11008
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Re:

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:49 am

markshark84 wrote:Agree with all of this. As far as the rugby comment --- I have been saying something similar to my friends. In rugby you can't leave your feet, have to wrap up, and there is a penalty for high tackles (although the high tackles are generally from tackling at the neck). Most DBs don't even wrap up --- they just throw their body into the player.


Right. I think the high tackle rule is basically covered by the horse-collar / facemask rule (they'll call facemask when you bring someone down by their neck or helmet even if you don't grip the facemask).

This is one area where I think the NFL has actually done a good job recently. I don't like how automatic and strict they are with the helmet-to-helmet stuff — I've seen many calls that I think were just overzealous and not penalizing dangerous play. Nevertheless, since the new way of enforcing tackling rules that started a few years ago, I think the game has been made substantially safer. You still get DBs launching their bodies on occasion but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4477
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Merriweather Deserves A Suspension

Postby riggofan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:06 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:there's an old expression about tackling - no matter how big or how fast, nobody goes very far when their ankles are held together - too many players in the NFL try to hit the other player and do not make sure that they wrap him up when they're making a tackle


True. Here's my question to you though: if your arms are wrapping up a players knees, which of his body parts do you think your helmet and/or shoulder are hitting?


not sure what you're getting at?


Just what Merriweather was saying. You start going low to tackle guys at their ankles, and you end up injuring players at the knees.

SkinsJock wrote:let me ask a question in return - the Redskins defensive players seem to have a problem 'making' tackles … from what we've seen, what would you suggest our defensive players do to improve on their tackling


Man, I won't even pretend to know the answer to that. I would hope that a player with the talent to make his way all the way to the NFL would know how to tackle by now!

SkinsJock wrote:IMO - there seems to be more effort being made to 'hit' the opposing player and not enough effort being made to tackle him effectively or to wrap him up


No doubt. Its been like that for years.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football