DeAngelo Hall

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: DeAngelo Hall

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:15 pm

I have always liked D Hall, though one of my best friends absolutely hates the guy. Cracks me up...

Anyway, if D Hall is pro-bowl worthy (and I am not saying he isn't), then how bad does that make the rest of our defensive backfield?

I am seeing team improvement from week to week, but it's hard to erase the first 4-5 weeks and the 2nd half debacle at Denver. No doubt D Hall has been earning his reduced salary every step of the way this year. Can you imagine had we not landed him back on this team, where would we be right now? I second that he retires a Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:23 pm

FanofallthatisGibbs wrote:I have always liked D Hall, though one of my best friends absolutely hates the guy. Cracks me up...

Anyway, if D Hall is pro-bowl worthy (and I am not saying he isn't), then how bad does that make the rest of our defensive backfield?

I am seeing team improvement from week to week, but it's hard to erase the first 4-5 weeks and the 2nd half debacle at Denver. No doubt D Hall has been earning his reduced salary every step of the way this year. Can you imagine had we not landed him back on this team, where would we be right now? I second that he retires a Redskins!
I have no idea what you are saying here... Deangelo Hall is playing at a top 5 level among ALL DB's this year... meaning that it doesn't say a darned thing about how the rest of the secondary is playing.

Currently, we have a rook playing corner... who is starting to show flashes... and who is also still well within his learning curve. Amerson is going to be a top corner quickly. Wilson is solid. Yes... there are problems beyond that... but Hall's current level of performance says nothing about them.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

-----------

Postby Smithian » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am

I've ripped on DeAngelo Hall extensively but I've never seen him play as well as he has the past few weeks. If he keeps up his play near this level for the season then we have a good chance of being in the picture come December/January.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Daryl Green thinks D. Hall should be back next year! :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... gelo-hall/
Hall of Fame cornerback Darrell Green sang Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall’s praises on Sunday and believes that Washington needs to re-sign Hall, whom Green says is just now tapping into his full potential and still has plenty of quality seasons left in him.

The first half of the season concluded on Sunday with Hall playing some of the best football of his career. Hall has three interceptions and nine pass deflections. He also has scored three touchdowns — two off of interception returns and one off of a fumble returns.

Hall this season won matchups with elite wide receivers Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall, holding all three without touchdowns while assigned to them. On Sunday, he denied San Diego tight end Antonio Gates a chance to catch a winning touchdown in the final 17 seconds of play.

Seven NFL players currently are tied for the league lead with four interceptions. Hall ranks among a dozen players with three. But Hall leads all defensive players in touchdowns. Chicago’s Tim Jennings ranks second with two touchdowns (both on interception returns).

Hall is on pace to record six interceptions, which would tie a career best, and 18 pass breakups, which would represent a personal record. His impact comes after an offseason in which the salary-cap-strapped Redskins released him to avoid paying him to avoid paying him $8 million.

Hall, who previously had a reputation of being just as prone to make big plays as he was to give up big plays, tested the free agent market, but wound up re-signing with Washington on a one-year, $1.25 million deal. If his play remains at this level, Hall could set himself up for another decent pay day, and Green says he believes the Redskins will and should work to retain Hall’s services.

“They will sign him back,” Green said Sunday prior to the pregame ceremony that honored he and more than 100 other former Redskins players. “The Redskins should sign him back. I don’t work for the Redskins. But the Redskins should take a very close look at him, because everybody else will. He’s playing at that level. It’s not going to be about judging yesterday or the day before or the year before. It’ll be judging today, and I think the guy is now interestingly enough, now in the middle of his career where people were thinking it was the twilight of his career, and that’s not true. I think the kid is just beginning to become what they thought he could be in the beginning.”

Thus far, the Redskins and Hall’s representatives have not had any talks regarding a contract extension, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

During the offseason, Hall — a three-time Pro Bowl player — picked Green’s brain on how to further elevate his game and play at a high level on a more consistent basis.

Asked on Sunday what kind of knowledge Green shared with Hall, Green explained, “The game is one side of it, and then the mental is the other. My interaction has had some help in the physical, but it’s more-so mental, and how you think about the game, how you think about your career, how you think about your future, and how you think about — even if you want to — your legacy?”

Hall is in his 10th NFL season but turns 30 later this month. Green said that he believes Hall has grasped the key to winning the mental battle, which translates to success on the field. Because of that, the former cornerback believes Hall’s best days still remain ahead of him.

“That kid has played a lot of football, but he’s still young. And so, I was impressed with that and I have always felt that he hasn’t ever reached his greatest potential,” said Green, who himself made seven Pro Bowls and won two Super Bowls during his 20-year career. “So, I think a lot of those conversations — from me, it makes it credible, and I say that humbly. But it was credible to him. And he started thinking, ‘You know what?’ And then we started talking about other things. And I tell my wife all the time, I’m really proud of him, because here’s a kid that got his money reduced, he’s been successful here, but there’s always been that whole idea that we know there’s more in you. And I think there’s still more in him, so I’m pretty pleased with what I’m seeing.

“It takes an attitude: ‘I can, I want to be, I will,’ ” Green continued. “Those guys he’s covering are the great athletes, they know where they’re going and we don’t. We have to be ahead of you. So that takes an energy to compete the way we compete over and over and over, and that’s what he is starting to tap into: that ‘I want to, I will, I can, and guess what, I’ll do it every time.’ Because that’s what makes you great.”

Hog

Re: Re:

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Lemme guess, in addition to being labeled a thug, D. Hall is a bully too?

No, I don't think he's either. He just has a reputation as being a hot head who tends to run his mouth and get into it with other players. I wish he would turn it down a notch. It has nothing to do with his playing...at all. He's definitely in the top 3 DB's this year, IMO.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:21 pm

Wow. Hall is only 30. For some reason, I thought the guy was much older. I'd definitely resign him now.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:27 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Wow. Hall is only 30. For some reason, I thought the guy was much older. I'd definitely resign him now.

I've said it before and will again. I simply do not understand the hostility towards Hall from fans of the Skins. I just don't see any evidence of his being anything other than a solid/good/more than sometimes great CB that clearly loves being a Redskin. Really don't see the problem. Hell, if you change his position, number, skin color and call him Chris Cooley, Skins fans would be frothing at the mouth over him. Comparatively, he's a better CB, imho, than Cooley was a TE. And there are indications that he is getting better.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:15 pm

emoses14 wrote:Comparatively, he's a better CB, imho, than Cooley was a TE. And there are indications that he is getting better.

I wouldn't go that far. CC set franchise records at the TE position. He was also a character off the field, which is a big reason why the fans loved him so much. I don't think skin color has anything to do with it.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:10 am

Deadskins wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Comparatively, he's a better CB, imho, than Cooley was a TE. And there are indications that he is getting better.

I wouldn't go that far. CC set franchise records at the TE position. He was also a character off the field, which is a big reason why the fans loved him so much. I don't think skin color has anything to do with it.

And you are right on the money. Fans love the players that seem decent on and off the field, regardless of skin color. What a stupid thing to suggest.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:25 am

Deadskins wrote:

1. Fair enough. But I definitely would go that far. To be fair, the reason that I even used CC is because I think that they are close in terms of their respective status within their positions, importance to the team's success and production, but that Hall is a better CB than CC was a TE. CC set 1 franchise record at the TE position, catches for a TE. Hall is 12 interceptions and 1 INT touchdown behind the redskins career leader in both those categories, Darrel Green (Hall however has 1 more overall Def. TD (incl. fumble returns) than Green with 9). The legitimate difference between Hall and CC as to why Skins fans may be so much more in love with the latter, is that CC was a career redskin. Hall has only been here for 6 years (yeah, its been that long, I was surprised, too).

2. Another reason that I chose CC is precisely because of his being a character off the field.

2a. With CC you have to deal with all of the off the field antics, dick pics and the like. With Hall there is ZERO off the field behavior to deal with, but rather behavior on it that leads to PF penalties. That behavior though is jawing with opposition, not head hunting or cut blocking or other "dirty" player items. With CC you never had to deal with on the field items. Both players are fiery, passionate REDSKINS, wearing emotions on their sleeve. So, on balance I think a slight edge to CC here because his antics never cost us yards, but Hall's have never cost us the game, either. So, I'm more likely to call it a wash between the 2.
2b. Both have displayed the "ultimate" True Skin characteristic of taking less money, not signing elsewhere to come back to play for the Skins. Hall is a lifetime Skins fan, for Christ's sake. Yet, you still have skins fans referring to Hall as a thug. You had skins fans wanting to start CC 2 years after he was not starter material any longer. I bet there are skins fans who still want CC playing for the team.

3. While I had initially only included the point about skin color in my adjective list to morph Hall into CC , your response actually made me think about it a little more. I'm not sure what rational basis for that degree of disparity in acceptance by fans can be attributed to, given all of that, if not's race. My point is also not to knock CC , I love him, too. My question is why Skins fan's don't love Hall more. I guess, maybe it could just be stupidity and not fairly looking at all the facts. On this board, if you even mentioned benching CC /starting Davis in a thread, you got crucified. Even when it was clear CC had lost a step, people still wanted him on the team out of sentimentality. I get that. But during Hall's ascending quality of play this year, when he signed for less money to come back earlier this year, last year when he was the only competent thing running around our secondary, you had entire threads titled and devoted to Benching Hall, Cutting Hall, Hall sucks, etc. That's odd, is all I was getting at and used a beloved Skin to try and point out why I thought so.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

And you are right on the money. Fans love the players that seem decent on and off the field, regardless of skin color. What a stupid thing to suggest.

You didn't have the benefit of reading my response to deadskins (cause I hadn't posted it yet). So even though your last sentence indicates a reading comprehension problem, I'll allow that people see the word "race" or words "skin color" and automatically assume one thing or the other about what is being said.

But your response is interesting in the same "I'm going to read into what you wrote whatever I like" manner. "Fans love the player that seem decent on and off the field, regardless of color" i'm curious precisely what about Hall makes him seem not decent, particularly to Redskins fans? Trash Talking? Not sending pictures of his manhood across the interwebs? He's had no off field issues and loves our team. Just odd.

-Santana Moss on Our QB

**LPJ**

Re:

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:37 pm

The Hogster wrote:I wouldn't use the term "thug"

Hot head? Yes. But, there are guys who are hot headed and not considered a thug.

Steve Smith comes to mind. Brian Mitchell too. Gary Clark was a hot head back in the day.

Pac Man Jones is a "thug" Aaron Hernandez is a "thug"

D Hall has never been in any off field issues. He's more Steve Smith than Pac Man. In fact, a guy like Cortland Finnegan is closer to the thug category.

LOL. The term "thug" is so mis-used that I think people have no clue what it even means anymore.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:54 pm

D Hall is playing at a Pro Bowl level this year. Give the man the credit that is due. If it wasn't for him, we would most likely have a worse record this year.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Cappster wrote:D Hall is playing at a Pro Bowl level this year. Give the man the credit that is due. If it wasn't for him, we would most likely have a worse record this year.

+10 AGAIN !!!!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:26 pm

emoses14 wrote:You didn't have the benefit of reading my response to deadskins (cause I hadn't posted it yet). So even though your last sentence indicates a reading comprehension problem, I'll allow that people see the word "race" or words "skin color" and automatically assume one thing or the other about what is being said.

But your response is interesting in the same "I'm going to read into what you wrote whatever I like" manner. "Fans love the player that seem decent on and off the field, regardless of color" i'm curious precisely what about Hall makes him seem not decent, particularly to Redskins fans? Trash Talking? Not sending pictures of his manhood across the interwebs? He's had no off field issues and loves our team. Just odd.

No reading comprehension problem at all. You said if you changed Hall's skin color, name, etc. You could have simply brought up Chris Cooley without suggesting changing Hall's skin color. And you can also make the argument that Cooley was a Redskin player his whole career, which made him more endearing to fans. And I don't remember Cooley ever making an utterance about wanting to be cut because he was playing poorly.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football