Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby KPrince36 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Last season the Redskins offense manned by RG3 made defenses looked dazed and confused by utilizing a great running game, play-action and a good zone read formation highlighted by a very speedy quarterback. The Redskins were in control and being very aggressive on offense. The offense consistently had defenses on their heels and were able to create quite a few match up problems and exploit them. It is obviously a different game this year and one in which the team cannot seem to figure out. The reasons have to be somewhere in between the extreme comments made by us fans and posters. Does RG3 have some problematic weaknesses and is he in danger of not becoming our franchise quarterback that just about everyone thought he would be? Absolutely, but he doesn't need to be benched and criticized like it is all his fault. He is in his 2nd season as a NFL quarterback for crying out loud. Give him some time to develop. Does he have the ability to read defenses and pick apart favorable match ups? I don't know if he has this talent. Obviously some things can be coached and learned but RG3 was also born with a certain potential and skill set. He obviously does not have the proper instincts to avoid hits and play smarter. He wants that contact, and to prove himself as tough or at least he wanted to. The kid could be in the process of being broken or breaking himself by trying to be something he is not. I think we all should start looking at RG3 in a realistic light. He can't even slide the right way for heaven's sake. I think in his heart he would rather take those big hits and challenge defenses with his athletic ability but in his mind he knows that cannot work long term, maybe even simply for the reason he will be knocked out of the NFL and his career drastically shortened. We obviously haven't seen enough of RG3 to know how it is going to turn out, but he is definitely having a very rough start. Being a great or even good NFL quarterback requires a certain mental toughness and capacity to play smarter not harder. Quarterbacks that don't learn how to use their brain and also put the team's playmakers in a position to succeed while building that necessary trust aren't going to last very long or have a successful career. This league will poke and prod you until your weakness is found and then exploit it until you figure out how to stop the bleeding. RG3 is a qb not a running back, but does he know that? I'm not sure, and that really is the question. Can RG3 learn how to be a QB not a playmaker? His job is to put players in position to succeed and get them the ball not hog the ball and try to be a hero.

Hog
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:01 pm

KPrince36 wrote:Last season the Redskins offense manned by RG3 made defenses looked dazed and confused by utilizing a great running game, play-action and a good zone read formation highlighted by a very speedy quarterback. The Redskins were in control and being very aggressive on offense. The offense consistently had defenses on their heels and were able to create quite a few match up problems and exploit them. It is obviously a different game this year and one in which the team cannot seem to figure out. The reasons have to be somewhere in between the extreme comments made by us fans and posters. Does RG3 have some problematic weaknesses and is he in danger of not becoming our franchise quarterback that just about everyone thought he would be? Absolutely, but he doesn't need to be benched and criticized like it is all his fault. He is in his 2nd season as a NFL quarterback for crying out loud. Give him some time to develop. Does he have the ability to read defenses and pick apart favorable match ups? I don't know if he has this talent. Obviously some things can be coached and learned but RG3 was also born with a certain potential and skill set. He obviously does not have the proper instincts to avoid hits and play smarter. He wants that contact, and to prove himself as tough or at least he wanted to. The kid could be in the process of being broken or breaking himself by trying to be something he is not. I think we all should start looking at RG3 in a realistic light. He can't even slide the right way for heaven's sake. I think in his heart he would rather take those big hits and challenge defenses with his athletic ability but in his mind he knows that cannot work long term, maybe even simply for the reason he will be knocked out of the NFL and his career drastically shortened. We obviously haven't seen enough of RG3 to know how it is going to turn out, but he is definitely having a very rough start. Being a great or even good NFL quarterback requires a certain mental toughness and capacity to play smarter not harder. Quarterbacks that don't learn how to use their brain and also put the team's playmakers in a position to succeed while building that necessary trust aren't going to last very long or have a successful career. This league will poke and prod you until your weakness is found and then exploit it until you figure out how to stop the bleeding. RG3 is a qb not a running back, but does he know that? I'm not sure, and that really is the question. Can RG3 learn how to be a QB not a playmaker? His job is to put players in position to succeed and get them the ball not hog the ball and try to be a hero.



Excellent!!! This is an example of someone that has 2 posts and someone that agrees. Robert is going to be fine IMO. Protect the kid now and he will look much better. Post counts don't matter.

ch1
Posts: 3630
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:09 pm

KPrince36 wrote:Last season the Redskins offense manned by RG3 made defenses looked dazed and confused by utilizing a great running game, play-action and a good zone read formation highlighted by a very speedy quarterback. The Redskins were in control and being very aggressive on offense. The offense consistently had defenses on their heels and were able to create quite a few match up problems and exploit them. It is obviously a different game this year and one in which the team cannot seem to figure out. The reasons have to be somewhere in between the extreme comments made by us fans and posters. Does RG3 have some problematic weaknesses and is he in danger of not becoming our franchise quarterback that just about everyone thought he would be? Absolutely, but he doesn't need to be benched and criticized like it is all his fault. He is in his 2nd season as a NFL quarterback for crying out loud. Give him some time to develop. Does he have the ability to read defenses and pick apart favorable match ups? I don't know if he has this talent. Obviously some things can be coached and learned but RG3 was also born with a certain potential and skill set. He obviously does not have the proper instincts to avoid hits and play smarter. He wants that contact, and to prove himself as tough or at least he wanted to. The kid could be in the process of being broken or breaking himself by trying to be something he is not. I think we all should start looking at RG3 in a realistic light. He can't even slide the right way for heaven's sake. I think in his heart he would rather take those big hits and challenge defenses with his athletic ability but in his mind he knows that cannot work long term, maybe even simply for the reason he will be knocked out of the NFL and his career drastically shortened. We obviously haven't seen enough of RG3 to know how it is going to turn out, but he is definitely having a very rough start. Being a great or even good NFL quarterback requires a certain mental toughness and capacity to play smarter not harder. Quarterbacks that don't learn how to use their brain and also put the team's playmakers in a position to succeed while building that necessary trust aren't going to last very long or have a successful career. This league will poke and prod you until your weakness is found and then exploit it until you figure out how to stop the bleeding. RG3 is a qb not a running back, but does he know that? I'm not sure, and that really is the question. Can RG3 learn how to be a QB not a playmaker? His job is to put players in position to succeed and get them the ball not hog the ball and try to be a hero.


Too much thought going on here. RG3 was horrible yesterday because his passes were sailing on him. He was flat out inaccurate and cost us maybe three touchdowns. I'm trying to forget that lob twenty yards over Paulsen's head and the hail Mary to the wrong side of the field-- that was just crazy stuff. Work on your passing RG.

DarthMonk
Posts: 4219
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Fact: Last year RGIII was as accurate as anyone.

Fact: This year RGIII is as inaccurate as anyone.

Question: Why?

Answer that and you'll know where you want him to be.

I say the man that COULD throw guys open, that COULD hit a crossing pattern in stride, that COULD throw a perfect ball to the flag, that COULD hit the 3rd or 4th read, still exists. He needs to escape this season healthy and get a full off season working with his teammates. It might help if we protect better and play a little defense next year too.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby KPrince36 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Too much thought going on here. RG3 was horrible yesterday because his passes were sailing on him. He was flat out inaccurate and cost us maybe three touchdowns. I'm trying to forget that lob twenty yards over Paulsen's head and the hail Mary to the wrong side of the field-- that was just crazy stuff. Work on your passing RG.

The point /points I am trying to make is that RG3's problem is not just what you are implying by this post. I can hear Shanahan during Wed. practice already, "Well son you weren't very accurate with the ball last game, we need to work on that." Do you really think RG3 doesn't realize he is having accuracy problems this season and during the last game? I may have a lengthy post but I was covering more than his inaccuracy and trying to get behind why....

08 Champ
Posts: 13052
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:45 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Robert Griffin will become the best Redskins QB ever - he has been a disappointment - he will get there …

Lay off the kool-aid...

:lol: that's all you got? give me a break :lol:

This kid is a gifted athlete who I believe has an unbelievable drive to be a part of helping this franchise become a great team
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:53 pm

There is the glass half full and glass half empty. Depends which side you prefer to look at it. I try to be a glass half full type, but at times it is hard I admit. When I settle down and thinks things through, I usually try to be optimistic as possible because, being a cancer or thorn usually doesn't help.

08 Champ
Posts: 13052
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:16 pm

some fans will just always look at this team as "it's the same old Redskins …. "

I am disappointed but I also will always try and look at things from the bright side …

we have our franchise QB - he has not forgotten all the important things about being a good QB - he will get better

Kyle is not as bad an OC as many are making him out to be, there are many very knowledgeable NFL guys out there that 'know' that Kyle is a good OC

this franchise has a really good FO in charge here now and they will find a way to add the pieces to the mix - be it coaching or players, they will be brought in and things will get a lot better here

we have made a lot of good progress the past few years - this will continue to get better

I think we will soon see that things are not near as bad as some here are making them out to be
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4406
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby riggofan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:29 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Fact: Last year RGIII was as accurate as anyone.

Fact: This year RGIII is as inaccurate as anyone.

Question: Why?

Answer that and you'll know where you want him to be.


Is it the knee injury? Maybe not the injury itself, but being 100% confident in it?

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15880
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby Deadskins » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:50 pm

It's his mechanics. His footwork is still off a little bit, he's trying to too much with just his arm. It stems from the injury and isn't helped by having defenders in his face all the time.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby OldSchool » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 pm

Trade Griffin? What franchise would give a first pick or more a gimpy prima Donna that frequently has trouble hitting a barn door with his passes and does read and process quick enough to be effective in the pocket.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

08 Champ
Posts: 13052
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:59 am

Deadskins wrote:It's his mechanics. His footwork is still off a little bit and he's trying to do too much with just his arm.
It stems from the injury and isn't helped by having defenders in his face all the time.


not sure I fully agree but I do think that what we've seen from the offense (and from Robert) is an aberration
it's really a bit of a mystery when you consider the players we have at QB, RB, TE, WR(s) and LT ….

but

the breakdown that is the Redskins this season is across the board - offense, defense and special teams
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 am

SkinsJock wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Robert Griffin will become the best Redskins QB ever - he has been a disappointment - he will get there …

Lay off the kool-aid...

:lol: that's all you got? give me a break :lol:

This kid is a gifted athlete who I believe has an unbelievable drive to be a part of helping this franchise become a great team

He's 23. Not a kid. And despite his drive, he's still unable to read defenses and hit wide open receivers on crucial plays.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15880
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:He's 23. Not a kid. And despite his drive, he's still unable to read defenses and hit wide open receivers on crucial plays.

I have no idea how old you are, but 23 is just a kid. Especially in the NFL. And, he hit wide open receivers consistently last season, so you can't say he's still unable to do that. As for reading defenses, you have no idea how he's progressing at that, but it's only half way through his second season (with no off-season). You're expecting way too much from him.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: Trade Rg3 while his stock is still high

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:01 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:He's 23. Not a kid. And despite his drive, he's still unable to read defenses and hit wide open receivers on crucial plays.


I love when people reject reality and insert their own. There's nothing correct about this post at all. Nothing. That's what makes it funny. You can't even slap the "opinion" label on this. LOLOLOL
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football