Trent Williams says official verbally abused him

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Trent Williams says official verbally abused him

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:Look at it this way: did Sean Taylor spitting on a running back make him play any better or worse? If not, then why would anyone care?

Apples and oranges.

No, the comparison is relevant. Both are unprofessional and personal insults that do not belong in the game, and both show that "did it affect his play?" is the wrong question to ask. I think you will have an easier time seeing this with the Sean Taylor spitting incident, which is why I decided to use it.

Irn-Bru wrote:Just because it isn't the worst thing ever doesn't mean that it's unworthy of criticism.

I agree, although 1. we don't know if it's true or not and 2. we don't know what Williams said to him to have him remark that way.

On (1), other Redskins players said they heard it. That's enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. Either way, apparently it was likely recorded, so we (or at least the NFL) will know soon enough.

(2) I don't really care, and I suspect the NFL won't, either. Refs can throw flags when players step out of line with language — just ask DeAngelo Hall. I'm not going to just assume Williams must have asked for this with his language, especially since this ref has a documented history of doing this to players in the past.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:33 am

Irn-Bru wrote:No, the comparison is relevant. Both are unprofessional and personal insults that do not belong in the game, and both show that "did it affect his play?" is the wrong question to ask. I think you will have an easier time seeing this with the Sean Taylor spitting incident, which is why I decided to use it.

Spitting on someone is a lot different than being called an MF'er. Most people would let the verbal insult roll off their back, I don't think they'd be quite as forgiving (or in the right frame of mind) if they were just spat on by another human being. Apples and oranges.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Most people would let the verbal insult roll off their back, I don't think they'd be quite as forgiving (or in the right frame of mind) if they were just spat on by another human being. Apples and oranges.

I wasn't comparing them on the basis of how people react to it; I was comparing them on the basis of being unprofessional personal insults that don't necessarily affect how you play. On that account there are similarities, as I showed above.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:35 pm

You can't hear anything but you can see how it catches Redskins by surprise. http://sports.yahoo.com/video/washingto ... 00554.html

Who expects that from the ref? It's not easy to shrug that off and say oh well... Watch the video. For those that think he was being a sissy for complaining.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Oh wow, right before a play too. That could actually be said to cause a distraction.

How bizarre.

Postby iScrub » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 pm

Maybe the ref is a big Richard Sherman fan.. :-|

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:06 am

Definitely looks like he says something to him. It's weird that if they did have him mic'ed up, and if he did say what Williams alleges, why they haven't punished him yet.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:08 am

Mara owns Goodell?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:51 am

According to PFT, John Wooten claims the official was trying to get the players on both side of the ball to stop using abusive language with each other and Trent said, "duck you, trigger" (or at least something that rhymes with that) and that is what preceded the ref saying what his did.

I don't know that I buy, but it does make sense. Funny that the ref, while trying to get players to stop using profane language with each other, would end up using it in response to Trent
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:17 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:According to PFT, John Wooten claims the official was trying to get the players on both side of the ball to stop using abusive language with each other and Trent said, "duck you, trigger" (or at least something that rhymes with that) and that is what preceded the ref saying what his did.

I don't know that I buy, but it does make sense. Funny that the ref, while trying to get players to stop using profane language with each other, would end up using it in response to Trent

+1 and this isn't the first time the ref has been accused running his mouth to players. Seems there is a cover up and double standard.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Refs are human beings too. I understand that they are the "judge, jury, and executioner" on the field and that they are supposed to be impartial and professional, but at the end of the day they are humans, and they too can have their buttons pushed. Not saying that it was the right thing to do (if it's true), but I definitely understand why he would have a response like that.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:42 pm

If it's true, I wish the ref would have just thrown a flag and the league would later fine Williams. I wouldn't mind seeing him punished for saying something like that. But instead he went for retaliation in kind and now we have this mess.

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Well apparently the league felt the ref deserves a 1 game w/o pay penalty.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:59 pm

oneman56 wrote:Well apparently the league felt the ref deserves a 1 game w/o pay penalty.

Yep..

(UPDATE: The NFL has suspended Ellison for one game without pay for using a "profane and derogatory statement" directed at Williams.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Of course Williams denies it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/tr ... story.html

Why would he get all bent out of shape if he started in on the ref? Makes no sense and I don't believe the NFL or the ref. My 2 cents

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football