Moss on Griffin

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Canes Skin

Moss on Griffin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Monday night’s game wasn’t the only Week 11 contest that ended with a play from the 18 yard line. And an equally potent controversy could emerge from it, albeit belatedly.

Lost in the not-so-subtle shots fired by Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III at the coaching staff after the 24-16 loss to Philly was an effort by Griffin to lay some blame for the failed final play to his teammates.

“We had a certain concept with running and nobody got open so I was backing up, and in the situation where you get a sack there, it ends the game,” Griffin said of the final effort to score a touchdown that, with a two-point conversion, would have forced overtime. “I was trying to throw the ball to the back of the end zone. It didn’t get to where I wanted it to go.”

On Tuesday, receiver Santana Moss took exception to Griffin’s remarks.

“As a leader, you understand that if you’re involved in the situation, whether you’re the receiver, the quarterback, the guys making the tackle, whoever. Regardless of the outcome, good or bad, you have to at some point, stand up and say me or I,” Moss told LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes of 106.7 The Fan in D.C.

“If we’re going to win games, we need to win games with our guy saying, ‘At the end of the day, I didn’t make a play,’ regardless of if it wasn’t him. And that’s how I feel. Because that’s what we’re out there to do. I’m not sitting here to tell you why it didn’t happen, or who didn’t make the play for me to make a play. If I’m the guy, that’s at the end of the day have the ball in my hand, and we’re sitting there and the game is over because of me, I didn’t do enough to make the play. I didn’t do enough to help us win. And that’s what I would do.”

The issue dusts of the pre-draft concerns about former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen, who drew criticism during a film session with Jon Gruden by blaming the receiver for an interception.

But Moss didn’t hesitate to indirectly criticize the team’s P.R. staff for failing to help players understand the subtle implications of their public words. (In their defense, the team’s P.R. staff has been very busy mishandling the team’s ongoing name controversy.)

“[There] should be someone who’s doing whatever they’re doing for us, when it comes down to us doing these interviews, needs to step up and talk to the guys that’s doing these interviews, to know what to say and when to say it,” Moss said. “Because I don’t feel like it’s being said enough, and it’s getting tiring.”

Moss then made his point, respectfully but clearly.

“I don’t need to be going back and forth in the media about who didn’t do this and who didn’t do what,” Moss said. “At the end of the day, I was seen with the ball in my hand last, as a quarterback I’m saying, and if it didn’t get done then I’m going to let you know it was me. Whether it was me or not. It was me. And I’m going to get better. And we’re going to get better together.”

That’s possibly the best advice anyone could give Griffin. Let’s see moving forward if he takes it to heart.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/19/santana-moss-takes-exception-to-griffins-failure-to-take-blame/
Suck and Luck

Hog

Re: Moss on Griffin

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 am

Moss has been a great Redskin. He doesn't normally throw people under the buss. He had to say it. I don't blame him. Robert will learn. He better. His teammates in college thought he was
a bit of a pre madonna also. I think someone (coaches) eventually will handle Robert. We are losing. People are pointing fingers. The coaches are losing the locker room. Winning could change that if this staff gets another year and I hope they do minus JH.

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am

someone needs to step up.

unfortunately it has to be the guy who might not even be here next year...

need a young leader to step up asap.
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 am

Speaking of Moss...what's gotten into him this year? He's doesn't have those sure hands suddenly

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 am

While I do generally agree with Moss, I think the whole recieving core, with the exception of Garcon and Reed have plain stunk this year. Santana all of a sudden can't catch a cold, and I know RGIII has thrown the ball too high on many occasions but I have seen Moss drop how many passes that where in his hands for no reason this year. Hankerson has been the third best reciever but Morgan, Robinson they have stunk. Paulsen too has dropped alot of balls and why Kyle and Mike didn't place Davis and Reed together in packages shows me how inept they are. I am sure all the fame RGIII got last year went to his head, after all he is young and I have noticed the amount of I's he uses when they win or the amount of WE's used when they lose. Maybe the team doesn't like him, maybe that's why the offensive line has stunk this year, although I think Chester and Polumbus are PATHETIC and should be replaced ASAP. No one knows what's going on, but the media is looking for anything and everything. Between Moss saying this, the comments Garcon has made this year, it does have me wondering if RGIII isn't a cancer and this inept sorry coaching staff is just making it worse.......

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:23 am

Why is it on the PR staff, Santana? Take RGIII aside and tell him yourself. I don't think Moss should be airing this in public either. He's guilty of the same crap. They need to call a players only meeting and get this stuff worked out in the locker room.
Last edited by Deadskins on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:35 am

Deadskins wrote:Why is on the PR staff, Santana? Take RGIII aside and tell him yourself. I don't think Moss should be airing this in public either. He's guilty of the same crap. They need to call a players only meeting and get this stuff worked out in the locker room.

Agreed but this is what happens when dysfunction runs rampant in an organization for over two decades. We have an owner that doesn't know what it takes to be an owner, a GM that will never live up to what his father meant to the Redskins in the 1970's. A HC that is about as inept and arrogant as anyone I have ever seen who continues to live off his past achievements, a OC that has Daddy issues and isn't good at what he does and this goes down the entire ranks of the coaching staff. To players who just want to tow the line and collect a pay check. It's going to take more than a players meeting to fix this dysfunctional bunch.........

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:32 am

Moss is 100% right in everything he said. Griffin needs to start taking the blame squarely on his shoulders and no one elses.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:03 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:Moss is 100% right in everything he said. Griffin needs to start taking the blame squarely on his shoulders and no one elses.

Yes, he is right, but he should be telling this directly to RGIII, not to LaVar.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 am

I can see where Moss is coming from, but I think he took the first part of what Griffin said too personally to notice what followed:

“We had a certain concept with running and nobody got open so I was backing up, and in the situation where you get a sack there, it ends the game,” Griffin said of the final effort to score a touchdown that, with a two-point conversion, would have forced overtime. “I was trying to throw the ball to the back of the end zone. It didn’t get to where I wanted it to go.”

Griffin says "I tried; I failed." Yeah, he described the whole play and noted that no one was open (which, by the way, was true). So what? Not everyone takes the Belichick approach to interviews, and we already knew that RGIII tends to be open and frank when he speaks.

I don't know what RGIII is like at the facility, in meetings, in practice, etc. Maybe he's not stepping up the way he needs to. Maybe he's a little arrogant and could use a slice of humble pie. But maybe not; I really don't know, and I concede that Moss knows what he's talking about.

However, based on RGIII's and Moss' public comments, I can't say that Moss got this 100% right, either in interpreting Griffin or in the way he went to the media with it instead of to his teammate. On the whole this is another negative step for the team, not a positive one.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 am

gay4pacman wrote:someone needs to step up.

unfortunately it has to be the guy who might not even be here next year...

need a young leader to step up asap.

Your QB is the leader. No one else besides RGIII needs to step up. Although RGIII said that he made the mistake --- based on Moss' comments, it appears RGIII is beginning to upset some people in the locker room. It appears that even though RGIII made the comment, it wasn't good enough --- which may be the byproduct of bigger issues.

Being a good leader when things are going well is easy ---- but to be a great leader, you have to know how to handle things when they are not. It doesn't appear that RGIII has grasped how to keep a lockeroom focused when things are down.[/quote]
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:28 am

markshark84 wrote:Being a good leader when things are going well is easy ---- but to be a great leader, you have to know how to handle things when they are not. It doesn't appear that RGIII has grasped how to keep a lockeroom focused when things are down.

He's learning, and will be better for it.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 am

What scares me the most is that this could be perceived as some sort of dissention in the locker room.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I can see where Moss is coming from, but I think he took the first part of what Griffin said too personally to notice what followed:

Griffin says "I tried; I failed." Yeah, he described the whole play and noted that no one was open (which, by the way, was true). So what? Not everyone takes the Belichick approach to interviews, and we already knew that RGIII tends to be open and frank when he speaks.

I don't know what RGIII is like at the facility, in meetings, in practice, etc. Maybe he's not stepping up the way he needs to. Maybe he's a little arrogant and could use a slice of humble pie. But maybe not; I really don't know, and I concede that Moss knows what he's talking about.

However, based on RGIII's and Moss' public comments, I can't say that Moss got this 100% right, either in interpreting Griffin or in the way he went to the media with it instead of to his teammate. On the whole this is another negative step for the team, not a positive one.

You don't really believe that Griffin was trying to throw that away, do you? His arm is plenty strong enough to have been able to throw that out of the end zone even falling back like he was. I think part of the reason for Moss' comments is that nobody really believes that Griffin was throwing it away, and it just sounds like an excuse.

Mike Jones had an interesting point on Twitter also, saying that Shanahan rarely ever says "I" or "me."
Suck and Luck

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:What scares me the most is that this could be perceived as some sort of dissention in the locker room.

There probably is on the offensive side. Garçon has also made some comments. Defense seems to be united though, based on Merriweather's and Fletcher's comments. Even though that unit struggles more, they seem to have better leaders on that side of the ball.
Suck and Luck

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football