Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Re: Skins Are Basket Case & Can't Keep Their Top Pick.

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:00 pm

riggofan wrote:
Hooligan wrote:This is where the offensive problems are: the scheme and playcalling. If the O-line can't keep a pocket intact, where are all the short passes?

Hmmm. I thought they called those quick, short passes like five times in the first half and got nothing out of it. Gruden pointed it out repeatedly.

Yeah, hows about a regular screen to a RB every once in a while to help slow the blitz? Those WR screens are nice occasionally, but they don't slow the pass rush.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:59 am

Bob needs an exceptional QB coach. Until he gets that, he's going to stay where he is.

He's very gifted in precise areas, but now we are seeing what we never dared think we would see...a QB who never learned to go through his reads, and some are even saying that using a playbook is new territory for him as well.

If these things are true we have a major problem...QBs spend their pee-wee, high school, and college years learning this; a long process.

There does seem to be truth in what people are saying: "if the hot receiver isn't open, he hesitates, and seems lost."

He's a hard worker yes, but it seems he has a ton of catching up to do.

A powerhouse o-line and Cousins might be a better option, but my hope for Bob remains.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:42 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:A powerhouse o-line and Cousins might be a better option, but my hope for Bob remains.

We'll never know because according to Shanahan, Cousins "isn't and never was an option."

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:31 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:A powerhouse o-line and Cousins might be a better option, but my hope for Bob remains.

We'll never know because according to Shanahan, Cousins "isn't and never was an option."

One thing you can be sure of in Washington. The backup QB is always the better QB. lol.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:33 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Hooligan wrote:This is where the offensive problems are: the scheme and playcalling. If the O-line can't keep a pocket intact, where are all the short passes?

Hmmm. I thought they called those quick, short passes like five times in the first half and got nothing out of it. Gruden pointed it out repeatedly.

Yeah, hows about a regular screen to a RB every once in a while to help slow the blitz? Those WR screens are nice occasionally, but they don't slow the pass rush.

Yeah they ran the hell out of the WR screen. And SF's linebackers and safeties just ate that up. I don't know if a RB screen would have been any more successful. Did you see how many times they got into our backfield completely untouched?

Funny the only WR screen that worked was that weird one where they had like three or four guys all lined up on the same side.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:25 am

SKINS#1 wrote:How bad are the Redskins? The stats -190 T yds, kick return 6 for 102 yds (by TE), sacks 4 for 37 yds and in the 1st Q RG3 was 1 for 6 for minus 1 yd and a pick. Doesn't get much worst then this.
While I think Cousins should get a shot, I am trying to understand why RG3 is still the starter.
Maybe Shanny thinks the experience is necessary for RG3 to become what we hoped for. I could make the same statement for Cousins.

Robert is the starting QB BECAUSE Mike thinks he's the better QB - how is that difficult to understand?

you and many others may not agree but you're just fans :lol:

the last game was terrible but the fact remains that from what we've seen from Robert over the past 20+ games in the NFL, he's the QB of the future here

there are many past & present GREAT NFL QBs PLUS NFL people that are VERY sure that Robert is going to be a really good QB ….. and, that it will take time

unfortunately for those who demand instant gratification - you're just going to have to be patient

the trade for Robert will prove to be one of the greatest trades in Redskins history - if not the best :wink:

if you cannot stand it - I suggest you make yourself feel MUCH better and throw a brick at your flat screen this Sunday night

or find another team :lol:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Does anyone remember Cam Newton last year?
I bet Carolina is glad they didn't jump out there so early huh?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:16 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Does anyone remember Cam Newton last year?
I bet Carolina is glad they didn't jump out there so early huh?

+10000. I've thought exactly the same thing, man. And there were some games that Cam lost for the Panthers last year. Badly.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:25 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Does anyone remember Cam Newton last year? I bet Carolina is glad they didn't jump out there so early huh?

Joe - you're missing the point of this idiotic suggestion :twisted:

Carolina did not have a viable back up QB and they obviously thought that it was more important for Cam to continue to learn about playing QB in the NFL
according to Peyton and Brady - "it takes a long time to become a really good NFL QB"

and Carolina thought it was best for everyone to continue with the best QB they had … what the hell do they know?

anyone suggesting that Cousins would be better suited to run this offense than Robert does not know what they're talking about :lol:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:39 pm

LOL.

Ok got it!

So RG3 isn't safe behind "the lightest offensive line" in the league but Cousins would be?

I wonder if Marvel is still doing the "What If" series of comic books... hmmmm
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:52 pm

IF Cousins were playing QB and they were running the same offensive plays that we've seen this season - we would most likely have hurt his psyche so badly he might not even be a good back up QB by this time - if he were still playing

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:05 pm

SkinsJock wrote:IF Cousins were playing QB and they were running the same offensive plays that we've seen this season - we would most likely have hurt his psyche so badly he might not even be a good back up QB by this time - if he were still playing

It's no use SkinsJock. They wont understand until they get their wish.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:02 pm

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:

One thing you can be sure of in Washington. The backup QB is always the better QB. lol.

Great point!

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:46 am

Cousins routinely releases the ball faster than Griffin, even without getting practice reps he thinks quicker than Griffin. So yes, I believe Cousins would be much more effective than Griffin. Put down the koolaid this week and watch how long it takes for Griffin to process and decide. He didn't have to read and release quickly in college or last year because he was so mobile, now it is obvious to everyone except his cult following that he can't. Three first round picks and one second round for QB that can't read and release quickly??? Bust city, big time bust maybe the biggest draft bust but in history.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:47 am

Griffin still has an elite NFL skillset. He's got a strong arm, good legs and the kind of intangibles you just can't teach someone. He's having to put up with a lot of crap this season from people who want to tear him down... but let's not forget:

* He had a severe knee injury and by all rights should have started the season on the bench.
* Missing the entire offseason really cost him in terms of his development. He lost months of education in reading defenses, making progressions and the nuances of getting the ball into the receiver's hands.
* There are limited options in the receiving game. Hankerson hasn't developed like we hoped, Davis was a noshow until he was benched, Josh Morgan has been ineffective and Moss has gotten old in a hurry.

There's no reason to think about replacing Griffin. I swear, no one is every happy with anything. There were times in RGIII's young career where he's made throws I've never seen before from a Redskins QB. As someone who was a fan from about 1994 on, I've never seen a QB make the kind of plays Griffin has. He's quite easily the best Redskins QB of the last 20 years, and he's got the skills to be a perennial Pro Bowl player. Give him time. Sophomore slumps are not uncommon, and they usually don't come with this level of adversity.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football