How do you fix this?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++

How do you fix this?

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:51 am

The 2013 Washington Redskins look awful this season. We can all agree on that, but the first step towards solving a problem is to identify what the problem is in the first place. So... how do we do that?

Well, ProFootballFocus is the preeminent talent evaluation site for NFL players. Let's check out that they have to say:

http://imgur.com/a/F7kNB

OFFENSE

Williams is an elite LT and Polumbus has been a big surprise. They're both playing really well and look like bookend tackles. Joining them is Will Montgomery who's one of the better centers in the league and Kory Lichtensteiger who grades out above average. Chris Chester looks like the line's weak link, that may have to be addressed next season. Griffin has played poorly, but as you can see, Garcon and Reed are really his only weapons... the running game is strong. So how do we fix this?

Well, the line is only really as strong as its weakest player. Perhaps we cut and replace Chris Chester. Then again, he's played well the last couple seasons. Maybe the Redskins talent evaluators will keep him around if they believe his struggles can be explained and corrected. What really needs to happen is Washington needs to add another WR, maybe two. Like most of you, I prefer to build through the draft, but offensive skill players often need significant snaps before they mature and reach their full potential. With $18 million coming back to the team, we should look at free agency to patch that hole. Hakeen Nicks is a free agent next season, as is Eric Decker and Anquan Boldin. The team would be well served to sign one of them. They should also look to find a slot receiver.

DEFENSE

Brian Orakpo has been our best defensive player, followed by Kerrigan. The two can be elite weapons, but successful defenses are a complete team effort. The rest of the LB corps, defensive line and secondary need to work together and obviously... they're not. Hard as it is to admit, London Fletcher is done. He's been our worst defensive player this season, he should retire at the end of the season and the team will have an additional $5 mil and change to work with. The defensive line has been pretty mediocre with Bowen as the least effective player. The secondary is a big mess. Amerson is young, he should improve with additional playing time, but Hall is relatively mediocre and Wilson is a mess. He was exposed last night. None of the safeties we've started in 2013 would probably have started for any other NFL team.

Obviously this unit needs the most work, and the team would be crazy not to re-sign Brian Orakpo. He's been our best player hands down. They should also look into replacing Bowen. Perry Riley has not played well this season, but he's showed up the last couple of games. The big need is to add another LB to work with him in the middle. On the secondary, Amerson should grow, but largely everyone else should be replaced. Both safety positions have been awful and Wilson/Hall haven't made much of an impact. That's going to be a very, very tough fix unless Rambo or Thomas steps up and grabs a starting spot.

SPECIAL TEAMS

What a mess, obviously they've been terrible this season. Forbath is a strong kicker, Rocca hasn't been terrible but he's getting up there in years, but special teams hasn't been good overall. The Redskins badly need a returner. It's embarrassing to trot out our 3rd string TE to run back kicks and our ancient slot WR to run back punts. I believe Ted Ginn Jr. is a free agent, and he's been successful in the slot. I wonder what someone like him would cost.

-----

Anyway, to make these changes, our shopping list becomes:

WR
WR/KR
OG?
DE?
ILB
CB
FS
SS?

Is that doable with the money the Redskins will have? By cutting some of the fat the Redskins should have approximately $35 million to play with this offseason, but they need to tread lightly. Teams are built, not bought. If they bring in free agents like Garcon, or Cofield who have proven to be effective players and leaders then they'll be successful, but one Albert Haynesworth is all it takes to send the team into another tailspin.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby grampi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:19 am

Now that there's no hope of making the post season, I think Shanny should bench RG3...not because of poor play, but to keep him from getting hurt, and to allow his knee to completely heel. If he truly is considered the long term QB for this team, then Shanny can't leave him out there taking the kinds of beatings his been taking. Frankly, I'm shocked he hasn't reinjured that knee already. Put Cousins in, let him get some playing time, and take note of what, if anything, changes with the offense with the change in QBs. What to do with the O-line, defense, and special teams? Those areas are such a huge mess I wouldn't even know where to start.....

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 am

Number 1 thing to fixing this mess is to fire Jim Haslet. I get sick to my stomach watching our defense. Ray Lewis was laughing at how bad this D is after the game. Bring in a Defensive Coordintor who will switch back to a 4-3. Get Kerrigan and Orakpo's hand in the dirt on every snap. The DTs positions can be manned by Coefield and Jenkins. Have Rob Jackson play OLB and have Riley as your MLB. Find another OLB in FA or bring one in via the draft. Sign Aqiub Talib. He's our # 1 priority in FA as far as I'm concerned. Jarius Byrd would be nice also. Bring back DHall, let Wilson walk. Hopefully Crawford and Minnifield can contribute some next season as well as continued improvement from Amerson. On, offense, replace Chester immediately with either LeRibus or Gettis. He's awful. I would also look to upgrade Polumbus in the offseason, and tell Trent to get his arse in shape. He's looked fat and slow at times this season. Get another WR for RGIII. I can go into a lot more detail, but this would be a good start.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:55 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:The 2013 Washington Redskins look awful this season. We can all agree on that, but the first step towards solving a problem is to identify what the problem is in the first place. So... how do we do that?

The only thread worth replying to. Not shocked that it only has two replies lol.

Offense:

- RGIII finishes the season healthy. He needs an offseason to evolve.
- We cannot start next season with the same line. IMO, we need to upgrade the right side.
- Target Hakeem Nicks in free agency and release Josh Morgan/Hankerson. Garcon needs a complimentary player and we weaken a divisional foe.

Defense:

- I'm open to getting a new coach. But, that's not going to solve all the issues.
- We need to upgrade our LB's. We need speed and none of our backers are that fast. They take forever to get to the QB on blitzes.
- Safety. Wow. I don't even know what to do with this. LMAO. We are seriously screwed at this position. I don't think Phillips or Rambo are the answer.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:25 am

I'm with you CLL.. I think we're largely on the same page here. Although...

-I would be perfectly happy to keep 4 out of the 5 starters on this line. I think Polumbus has been a strong player and Monty looks really good. If anything, I would be okay with dumping Chester and Kory. Getting bigger and stronger up front could pay off for us. Then again, the running game is good, and Griff is in about the middle of the pack when it comes to sacks. Sure, you could say he evades a number of sacks which is fair enough, but he also puts himself into some bad situations and causes himself to be sacked as well. I really don't see the line as a problem.

-If Haslet is fired, I'll actually be upset. The deck was stacked against him from day one. He was forced to bring back Hall, which he didn't want to do. Sure, it's semi paid off but he wanted Talib, bad. So did the FO. He was forced to start Meriweather and was pressed into starting a rookie at the other safety spot. I think Rambo and Thomas will be decent players someday... but it's hard to expect big contributions. Hopefully Thomas comes back healthy and plays well next season. Fletcher's been a huge bust this year... Lastly, he lost Carriker who would have been a solid starter for the Redskins. I wouldn't fire him. The team needs to build and installing a new system just seems like a step in the wrong direction.

-I'd sign Jarius Bird ASAFP. lol
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:44 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:I would be perfectly happy to keep 4 out of the 5 starters on this line. I think Polumbus has been a strong player and Monty looks really good.

I'll tell you, this is where it becomes hard to discern what the real issues are. If we keep the same line next year, but Robert evolves as a QB AND we have a legit #2 WR, the line could look great again. This line is designed to do certain things, and if certain factors improve, they'll be able to operate within that niche category they fit within... That being said, we could still stand to upgrade at a position or two.

Skinsfan55 wrote:If Haslet is fired, I'll actually be upset. The deck was stacked against him from day one. He was forced to bring back Hall, which he didn't want to do. Sure, it's semi paid off but he wanted Talib, bad.

Dude, I dont disagree at all. I think something will happen tho... He's been given a bad hand, not just bad but horrible.

Skinsfan55 wrote:I'd sign Jarius Bird ASAFP. lol

This too. I agree.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 am

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:01 pm

I have no good idea how to fix this except to upgrade at almost every position. For whatever reason, Robert is not the guy he was last year. It's as if he doesn't know the basics about being a quarterback...doesn't get the ball off quickly, repeatedly runs himself into trouble and takes big losses, has no accuracy, loses speed to that brace, doesn't see open receivers, waits too long, and doesn't step into his throws or run through progressions. I'm open to his sitting out the rest of the season to work on skills and save his life. I am also open to returning to the 4-3 and believe our worse mistake of Shany era is that switch to the 3-4, which has been fatal. In my opinion we currently have little to build on. On offense: Griffin, Cousins, Garson, Morris, Reed, Montgomery, Williams, Young. On defense: Kerrigan, Hall, Cofield, Riley. Maybe Amerson and Rak, who's wildly overrated. Special teams: Kai. Right now, we have only two exceptional players-- Morris and Garcon and one superior prospect-- Reed. Can we win now? No. Any time soon? No. Do we need new management and coaching. Absolutely. Even with the financial handicap, we should be in far better shape than we are. We have the worse D in the game and the worse special teams, especially in regard to Kick Off returns. Where is Banks when you need him?

Why I continue watching? I'm interested in Reed and Alfred Morris' numbers and hope Morris can catch McCoy. He can and will if Shany gives him the touches. I'm ticked off he only got 14 carries last night. Also, I want to see Garcon set a Redskin mark for receptions. I think that will happen. I'm also happy that Griffin, in spite of his terrible year, is still outplaying Luck.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:08 pm

Replacing Chris Chester is a must.
Replacing Tyler Polumbus would be good.
Replacing Cory Lichtensteiger wouldn't cause anyone to shed a tear.

Jairus Byrd would be an instant upgrade.
Aqib Talib would be a huge upgrade over.........Josh Wilson.

London Fletcher has met the end of the road. He's been a warrior, a leader, and a high character man. I wish he could play another ten years, but that's just not in the cards. Time to see him wearing a coat and tie on someone's pregame show.

Wide Receiver? I'd be OK with Hakeem Micks but am worried about his ability to stay on the field. Whom else is out there in Free Agency?

We have numerous holes to fill. The question will be how soon can that happen? To be realistic, we should be looking at what this team can be in TWO years. It won't happen overnight.

Now, to the bigger problem -- coaching. Beyond the X's and O's, how many players has this coaching staff developed? They don't seem to be capable, or willing, to develop young talent. That's our problem with depth. After this much time in the system, we should have a backup capable of challenging for the Right Guard position. But, no, that "back-up" is apparently here to make runs to Starbucks or Krispy Kreme. After last night, I don't care if this staff is fired. Of course, the problem with that, if it were to happen, is that I can't point to a single candidate out there -- in college or the pros -- that would be THE MAN. There isn't anyone who I think would come in and really make a big impact. We need someone who can run things for 10-12 years.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:The 2013 Washington Redskins look awful this season. We can all agree on that, but the first step towards solving a problem is to identify what the problem is in the first place. So... how do we do that?

Well, ProFootballFocus is the preeminent talent evaluation site for NFL players. Let's check out that they have to say:

http://imgur.com/a/F7kNB

OFFENSE

Williams is an elite LT and Polumbus has been a big surprise. They're both playing really well and look like bookend tackles. Joining them is Will Montgomery who's one of the better centers in the league and Kory Lichtensteiger who grades out above average. Chris Chester looks like the line's weak link, that may have to be addressed next season. Griffin has played poorly, but as you can see, Garcon and Reed are really his only weapons... the running game is strong. So how do we fix this?

Well, the line is only really as strong as its weakest player. Perhaps we cut and replace Chris Chester. Then again, he's played well the last couple seasons. Maybe the Redskins talent evaluators will keep him around if they believe his struggles can be explained and corrected. What really needs to happen is Washington needs to add another WR, maybe two. Like most of you, I prefer to build through the draft, but offensive skill players often need significant snaps before they mature and reach their full potential. With $18 million coming back to the team, we should look at free agency to patch that hole. Hakeen Nicks is a free agent next season, as is Eric Decker and Anquan Boldin. The team would be well served to sign one of them. They should also look to find a slot receiver.

DEFENSE

Brian Orakpo has been our best defensive player, followed by Kerrigan. The two can be elite weapons, but successful defenses are a complete team effort. The rest of the LB corps, defensive line and secondary need to work together and obviously... they're not. Hard as it is to admit, London Fletcher is done. He's been our worst defensive player this season, he should retire at the end of the season and the team will have an additional $5 mil and change to work with. The defensive line has been pretty mediocre with Bowen as the least effective player. The secondary is a big mess. Amerson is young, he should improve with additional playing time, but Hall is relatively mediocre and Wilson is a mess. He was exposed last night. None of the safeties we've started in 2013 would probably have started for any other NFL team.

Obviously this unit needs the most work, and the team would be crazy not to re-sign Brian Orakpo. He's been our best player hands down. They should also look into replacing Bowen. Perry Riley has not played well this season, but he's showed up the last couple of games. The big need is to add another LB to work with him in the middle. On the secondary, Amerson should grow, but largely everyone else should be replaced. Both safety positions have been awful and Wilson/Hall haven't made much of an impact. That's going to be a very, very tough fix unless Rambo or Thomas steps up and grabs a starting spot.

SPECIAL TEAMS

What a mess, obviously they've been terrible this season. Forbath is a strong kicker, Rocca hasn't been terrible but he's getting up there in years, but special teams hasn't been good overall. The Redskins badly need a returner. It's embarrassing to trot out our 3rd string TE to run back kicks and our ancient slot WR to run back punts. I believe Ted Ginn Jr. is a free agent, and he's been successful in the slot. I wonder what someone like him would cost.

-----

Anyway, to make these changes, our shopping list becomes:

WR
WR/KR
OG?
DE?
ILB
CB
FS
SS?

Is that doable with the money the Redskins will have? By cutting some of the fat the Redskins should have approximately $35 million to play with this offseason, but they need to tread lightly. Teams are built, not bought. If they bring in free agents like Garcon, or Cofield who have proven to be effective players and leaders then they'll be successful, but one Albert Haynesworth is all it takes to send the team into another tailspin.

I don't know what kind of drugs they are on, however Polumbus and Chester have STUNK the entire season, last nights running to that side pretty much validates that. Keith Burns special teams, Jim Hasletts defensive coaching and schemes are not up to NFL level. The entire coaching staff along with Chester, Polumbus, Fletcher, Morgan, Moss need to be gone at seasons' end. The only way to fix this, is to bring in a coach that the game hasn't passed. To be able to look at what this roster has and work on schemes that highlight the strengths. Pretty much do 100% opposite of what the Shananigans have done since day one. Get this defense back to a 4-3, have Kerrigan and Orakpo as DE's!! This coaching staff is absolutely pathetic. [-o< [-o< [-o<

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:10 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I don't know what kind of drugs they are on, however Polumbus and Chester have STUNK the entire season, last nights running to that side pretty much validates that. Keith Burns special teams, Jim Hasletts defensive coaching and schemes are not up to NFL level. The entire coaching staff along with Chester, Polumbus, Fletcher, Morgan, Moss need to be gone at seasons' end. The only way to fix this, is to bring in a coach that the game hasn't passed. To be able to look at what this roster has and work on schemes that highlight the strengths. Pretty much do 100% opposite of what the Shananigans have done since day one. Get this defense back to a 4-3, have Kerrigan and Orakpo as DE's!! This coaching staff is absolutely pathetic. [-o< [-o< [-o<

When you quote the whole original post, it looks bad, and gives people an excuse to dismiss your comments. When your comments are silly, that excuse is validated. Provide some data. Elevate the level of discourse on this board.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

FWIW our only good lineman... Whom u called elite, got blown up all night last night! Smh at this line, they would get anyone less mobile killed!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:25 pm

Skinsfan55, I appreciate the commentary, as you seem to be one of the more level headed one's on here, but if you don't think Haslett deserves to be fired you need to go back and look at the tape again. How many times to I have to see Kerrigan or Orakpo trying to stay up with a RB like Shady McCoy??? How many times do I have to see us blitz only to play a soft zone behind it?? Its unreal how bad this guy is. I know our talent isn't the greatest, but he has routinely let every single offensive unit look like we are playing the Denver Broncos. Its absurd. Minnesota was having trouble just getting a first down before they dropped 30+ on us, ditto for SF, until last night they looked all pro. Its ridiculous. Get him out of here next year or I may consider just taking up English Premier League Soccer.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm

grampi wrote:Now that there's no hope of making the post season, I think Shanny should bench RG3...not because of poor play, but to keep him from getting hurt, and to allow his knee to completely heel. If he truly is considered the long term QB for this team, then Shanny can't leave him out there taking the kinds of beatings his been taking. Frankly, I'm shocked he hasn't reinjured that knee already. Put Cousins in, let him get some playing time, and take note of what, if anything, changes with the offense with the change in QBs. What to do with the O-line, defense, and special teams? Those areas are such a huge mess I wouldn't even know where to start.....

I'm not sure what's wrong but I do know that if that knee was not able to take the hits he would not have been allowed to play in the first game …
let's be clear here - the ONLY way that Robert was allowed to play in game 1 was if his knee was ready to play on

THE KNEE IS HEALED - there are a lot of other things wrong here but the knee does not need time to heal

let's look at the real reasons why things are not working well here - it's not the knee
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm not sure I understand why we are not leveling more criticism at the way the O line is used …
last season the O line did not look bad running the read option offense - this season we've changed the way we run the offense and this group is not up to playing that way - not even close to being able to hold their blocks at all

I'm not sure about where to start on defense but the LB play we saw last night from the 49ers is a recipe for success
I'm OK with Orakpo and Kerrigan but we are hurting in the middle

the secondary is a major concern

I will say this - last night's game was not good at all and not a real indication of where we are at

that was just a terrible game from EVERYONE
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football