How do you fix this?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:20 pm

With the exception of the few elite players, is it typically difficult to gauge the talent of a lineman in the draft? Or is it more of a conditioning issue transitioning into the NFL (kind of like how it is with lower tier WRs)?

ch1
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby crazyhorse1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:10 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I'm not sure I understand why we are not leveling more criticism at the way the O line is used …
last season the O line did not look bad running the read option offense - this season we've changed the way we run the offense and this group is not up to playing that way - not even close to being able to hold their blocks at all

I'm not sure about where to start on defense but the LB play we saw last night from the 49ers is a recipe for success
I'm OK with Orakpo and Kerrigan but we are hurting in the middle

the secondary is a major concern

I will say this - last night's game was not good at all and not a real indication of where we are at

that was just a terrible game from EVERYONE


We're one of the worse teams in the NFL and have the worse special teams and defense in the league. We are also last in our division and have no depth, as well as few top players. Our record with Shanny is abysmal, and the league norm in regard to that record or a similar one would be instant firing. Shanny's lucky we pulled off a seven game win streak streak last season. Otherwise, he would already be gone. Last night's game was a perfect indication of where we are at.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Chase Minnifield just got signed off the practice squad. I'd like to see what he can do in Josh Wilson's place. Perhaps he could be an upgrade?

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-reds ... tice-squad

08 Champ
Posts: 13411
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:47 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote: ..We're one of the worse teams in the NFL and have the worse special teams and defense in the league. We are also last in our division and have no depth, as well as few top players. Our record with Shanny is abysmal, and the league norm in regard to that record or a similar one would be instant firing. Shanny's lucky we pulled off a seven game win streak streak last season. Otherwise, he would already be gone. Last night's game was a perfect indication of where we are at.

There are numerous posts recently that seem to feel that the only way to make a point is to make an over the top, blanket statement ^^ this is one of those

We are not playing well and we have a lot of issues to address …

the case could be made that "we're one of the worst teams in the NFL" but we're also a team that is not playing as well as we're capable and we do have a number of very good young players to build around

"we were 'lucky' to win 7 in a row" - what the hell does that have to do with anything - OK - "we're unlucky we didn't finish this season with 7 wins in a row" :twisted:

I believe that you're wrong about where we are "because" of Mike Shanahan

and the game against the 49ers was not a good indication of the state of this franchise at all
it was just a game that the 49ers played very well and completely outplayed our guys - it happens

step away from the edge - :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:29 am
Location: Fredericksburg, Va

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby SKINS#1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:59 pm

We all have opinions about How do you fix this but there is but one approach that makes sense for me. Snyder tells BA nothing less than a winning season for '14 is acceptable and he needs to make sure this happens. Then BA conveys this to Shanny with a requirement to have a plan for review within 30 days after end of season. BA needs to support Shanny with the understanding - winning is a must or changes will be made. The responsibility belongs to the Head Coach,

ch1
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby crazyhorse1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:57 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote: ..We're one of the worse teams in the NFL and have the worse special teams and defense in the league. We are also last in our division and have no depth, as well as few top players. Our record with Shanny is abysmal, and the league norm in regard to that record or a similar one would be instant firing. Shanny's lucky we pulled off a seven game win streak streak last season. Otherwise, he would already be gone. Last night's game was a perfect indication of where we are at.

There are numerous posts recently that seem to feel that the only way to make a point is to make an over the top, blanket statement ^^ this is one of those

We are not playing well and we have a lot of issues to address …

the case could be made that "we're one of the worst teams in the NFL" but we're also a team that is not playing as well as we're capable and we do have a number of very good young players to build around

"we were 'lucky' to win 7 in a row" - what the hell does that have to do with anything - OK - "we're unlucky we didn't finish this season with 7 wins in a row" :twisted:

I believe that you're wrong about where we are "because" of Mike Shanahan

and the game against the 49ers was not a good indication of the state of this franchise at all
it was just a game that the 49ers played very well and completely outplayed our guys - it happens

step away from the edge - :lol:


Your allegation to the affect I said that "we were "lucky' to win 7 in a row" is a false allegation. I actually said, "Shanny is lucky we pulled off a seven game win streak." I do not think we won by luck, but do think Shanny was lucky we won, since it saved his reputation. There's a big difference...and I do not not appreciate being misquoted. I'm writing it off this time as a mistake; next time, I'll call you out for being unethical.

08 Champ
Posts: 13411
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:45 am

crazyhorse1 wrote: Your allegation to the affect I said that "we were "lucky' to win 7 in a row" is a false allegation. I actually said, "Shanny is lucky we pulled off a seven game win streak." I do not think we won by luck, but do think Shanny was lucky we won, since it saved his reputation. There's a big difference...and I do not not appreciate being misquoted. I'm writing it off this time as a mistake; next time, I'll call you out for being unethical.


I'm RARELY going to try and help you out, mainly because you are not as bad as some here but your posts are mostly IMO not even close to being worth reading
I always felt that you felt the same about me :lol:

that being said - I'll try :lol: winning 7 in a row last season was certainly not due to having a good team or by good play as a team or by having good coaching
we were mainly lucky to have a lot of good things happen during those games

IMO - THAT GROUP OF PLAYERS AND COACHES OVER ACHIEVED AND WERE NOT THAT GOOD - THEY WERE LUCKY

We won 7 in a row by a combination of having a few players playing very well together, having a system that the NFL was not familiar with and a lot of luck
I agree that Mike was ALSO 'lucky' as it most likely gave him another 2 years to close out his 5 year stint

and we are a lot better group of players and coaches than you think - because of Bruce and Mike Shanahan :D
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

ch1
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:06 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote: Your allegation to the affect I said that "we were "lucky' to win 7 in a row" is a false allegation. I actually said, "Shanny is lucky we pulled off a seven game win streak." I do not think we won by luck, but do think Shanny was lucky we won, since it saved his reputation. There's a big difference...and I do not not appreciate being misquoted. I'm writing it off this time as a mistake; next time, I'll call you out for being unethical.


I'm RARELY going to try and help you out, mainly because you are not as bad as some here but your posts are mostly IMO not even close to being worth reading
I always felt that you felt the same about me :lol:

that being said - I'll try :lol: winning 7 in a row last season was certainly not due to having a good team or by good play as a team or by having good coaching
we were mainly lucky to have a lot of good things happen during those games

IMO - THAT GROUP OF PLAYERS AND COACHES OVER ACHIEVED AND WERE NOT THAT GOOD - THEY WERE LUCKY

We won 7 in a row by a combination of having a few players playing very well together, having a system that the NFL was not familiar with and a lot of luck
I agree that Mike was ALSO 'lucky' as it most likely gave him another 2 years to close out his 5 year stint

I agree with most of your latest post. When I find your posts tedious is in regard to Shanny and Bruce, who are not the football savants you think they are. Your support seems to be knee jerk and unrelated to what's happening on the field and in the FO. Shanny and Bruce are not even mediocre at building a team. Take away their luck in acquiring RG3 and Alfred, season in what they're done with the OL and the defense, and they're no better than Spurrier-- in fact, they have the same flaws. No protection for the QB, no depth, terrible D, no special teams, etc. People pass against us at will. Like almost everyone else, I'm tired of the nonsense. I want the team run "professionally." Need I mention the decision last year that led to RG3's debacle this year. He should now be benched to recover. Will he be. No, I don't think so. Will there be a effort to better the OL and find a worthy second WR? I don't think that either.

and we are a lot better group of players and coaches than you think - because of Bruce and Mike Shanahan :D

ch1
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:09 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote: Your allegation to the affect I said that "we were "lucky' to win 7 in a row" is a false allegation. I actually said, "Shanny is lucky we pulled off a seven game win streak." I do not think we won by luck, but do think Shanny was lucky we won, since it saved his reputation. There's a big difference...and I do not not appreciate being misquoted. I'm writing it off this time as a mistake; next time, I'll call you out for being unethical.


I'm RARELY going to try and help you out, mainly because you are not as bad as some here but your posts are mostly IMO not even close to being worth reading
I always felt that you felt the same about me :lol:

that being said - I'll try :lol: winning 7 in a row last season was certainly not due to having a good team or by good play as a team or by having good coaching
we were mainly lucky to have a lot of good things happen during those games

IMO - THAT GROUP OF PLAYERS AND COACHES OVER ACHIEVED AND WERE NOT THAT GOOD - THEY WERE LUCKY

We won 7 in a row by a combination of having a few players playing very well together, having a system that the NFL was not familiar with and a lot of luck
I agree that Mike was ALSO 'lucky' as it most likely gave him another 2 years to close out his 5 year stint


and we are a lot better group of players and coaches than you think - because of Bruce and Mike Shanahan :D


I agree with most of your latest post. When I find your posts tedious is in regard to Shanny and Bruce, who are not the football savants you think they are. Your support seems to be knee jerk and unrelated to what's happening on the field and in the FO. Shanny and Bruce are not even mediocre at building a team. Take away their luck in acquiring RG3 and Alfred, season in what they're done with the OL and the defense, and they're no better than Spurrier-- in fact, they have the same flaws. No protection for the QB, no depth, terrible D, no special teams, etc. People pass against us at will. Like almost everyone else, I'm tired of the nonsense. I want the team run "professionally." Need I mention the decision last year that led to RG3's debacle this year. He should now be benched to recover. Will he be. No, I don't think so. Will there be a effort to better the OL and find a worthy second WR? I don't think that either.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4768
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby riggofan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:26 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote: Your allegation to the affect I said that "we were "lucky' to win 7 in a row" is a false allegation. I actually said, "Shanny is lucky we pulled off a seven game win streak." I do not think we won by luck, but do think Shanny was lucky we won, since it saved his reputation. There's a big difference...and I do not not appreciate being misquoted. I'm writing it off this time as a mistake; next time, I'll call you out for being unethical.


I'm RARELY going to try and help you out, mainly because you are not as bad as some here but your posts are mostly IMO not even close to being worth reading
I always felt that you felt the same about me :lol:

that being said - I'll try :lol: winning 7 in a row last season was certainly not due to having a good team or by good play as a team or by having good coaching
we were mainly lucky to have a lot of good things happen during those games

IMO - THAT GROUP OF PLAYERS AND COACHES OVER ACHIEVED AND WERE NOT THAT GOOD - THEY WERE LUCKY

We won 7 in a row by a combination of having a few players playing very well together, having a system that the NFL was not familiar with and a lot of luck
I agree that Mike was ALSO 'lucky' as it most likely gave him another 2 years to close out his 5 year stint


and we are a lot better group of players and coaches than you think - because of Bruce and Mike Shanahan :D


I agree with most of your latest post. When I find your posts tedious is in regard to Shanny and Bruce, who are not the football savants you think they are. Your support seems to be knee jerk and unrelated to what's happening on the field and in the FO. Shanny and Bruce are not even mediocre at building a team. Take away their luck in acquiring RG3 and Alfred, season in what they're done with the OL and the defense, and they're no better than Spurrier-- in fact, they have the same flaws. No protection for the QB, no depth, terrible D, no special teams, etc. People pass against us at will. Like almost everyone else, I'm tired of the nonsense. I want the team run "professionally." Need I mention the decision last year that led to RG3's debacle this year. He should now be benched to recover. Will he be. No, I don't think so. Will there be a effort to better the OL and find a worthy second WR? I don't think that either.


Yeah I'm sure you're right. Next year with some cap space and money to spend, I doubt the team will make any effort to upgrade the OL. Because Mike and Bruce are mediocre idiots. Its a good thing they were so lucky to draft RGIII and Morris. I mean, when is the last time Mike Shanahan drafted and groomed a quality running back???? :roll:

/sarcasm.

Hog
Posts: 2392
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:30 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Haynesworth was not as interested in playing as he was in getting what he felt he was owed for how he played before he even came here - Fat Al used the "excuse" that he was lied to about how he was going to be used here - the fact of the matter was he wanted his money and then he was not willing to give anywhere near 100% to even get into shape to play - that guy is the definition of the biggest loser


This is actually a pretty major gaff. Don't get me wrong. I know this is almost all on Haynesworth as far as being a professional. He was lied to though from the perspective, that he was coming to a 43, and that was a major reason for coming here. Snyder deserves a little blame there.

I'm not trying to bash our team; rather instead say, the mistakes cost us early.

08 Champ
Posts: 13411
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Haynesworth was not as interested in playing as he was in getting what he felt he was owed for how he played before he even came here - Fat Al used the "excuse" that he was lied to about how he was going to be used here - the fact of the matter was he wanted his money and then he was not willing to give anywhere near 100% to even get into shape to play - that guy is the definition of the biggest loser


This is actually a pretty major gaff. Don't get me wrong. I know this is almost all on Haynesworth as far as being a professional. He was lied to though from the perspective, that he was coming to a 43, and that was a major reason for coming here. Snyder deserves a little blame there.

I'm not trying to bash our team; rather instead say, the mistakes cost us early.


Snyder deserves a lot of blame but Haynesworth ONLY came to the Redskins for the money
Haynesworth never intended to really try and earn any part of the money he got - he felt that money was owed to him

There are 3 things I think are true - Fat Al was sure that we would be running the 4-3 but that had NOTHING to do with his coming here - NOTHING AT ALL

and

it did not matter what defensive scheme we were going to use Fat AL was not going to participate in any conditioning workouts before the season began

and

Fat Al made it very clear to his Redskins team members that he signed the contract ONLY to get money he felt he was 'owed' for what he did for the Titans and that he would most likely not even play for the Redskins because he'd already got his money

Fat AL never made any effort to earn any part of his contract with the Redskins

I'll throw in something interesting here - I think Jeff Fisher/Rams made the deal with Mike even though the Browns had a better deal in picks to PARTLY make up for what Haynesworth did after he left the Titans (& Fisher)
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
Posts: 2392
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Not defending him http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5895432

He did play well for us in the 43, just not superhuman like his contract suggested.

He is the biggest reason for our cap hit.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16165
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby Deadskins » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:He is the biggest reason for our cap hit.

Not bigger than Mara. :lowblow:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:04 pm

The cap penalty has hit this team's development badly. If we assume that Shanahan is not an idiot, then we would surely have a stronger o-line and secondary right now, had those 36 million dollars been available to spend in the last two years.

The o-line is our biggest offensive problem now, because its weakness prevents any level of consistency. Some claim that RGIII is struggling to develop as a pocket passer - my response to that would be: how would we know? He rarely seems to have a pocket from which to throw. The number of times that our o-line is overwhelmed is debilitating to the whole offense.

On defence, the secondary is miserable. That's obvious. But in front of that secondary, we continue to get little pass rush. I blame that partly on talent, partly on Haslett's approach, and partly on Shanahan's day one decision to switch to the 3-4 defence, and then failing to obtain talent that fits. Honestly, I think that if we switched to a 4-3 tomorrow, we'd be better off.

So, apart from a poor offensive line, a miserable secondary, defensive personnel that don't fit the scheme, a defensive coordinator with little track record of success and no history of coaching the 3-4, and a desperately disappointing receiving corps, plus horrific special teams.....well, I just can't see what the problem is.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football