How do you fix this?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: How do you fix this?

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:01 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:Fire the entire coaching staff and bring in a guy like Lovie Smith to rebuild the team.

:-k

This name has come up a lot lately at my house. I may start a poll.

If you have to start over I think you:

*Move Bruce to President

*Hire Bill Polian GM (who will not be a yes man)

*Let Polian do his job for 5 years (Like Shanahan asked for)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:12 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:Fire the entire coaching staff and bring in a guy like Lovie Smith to rebuild the team.

Maybe Snyder could make him an unbelievable offer to come in as defensive coordinator? :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:15 pm

I hope Mike and Bruce continue for another year …

If you're getting rid of Mike you might as well let Bruce go and bring in Bill and let him bring in the head coach and they can bring in their coaching staff

and there you go with making a bunch of changes that are not really needed
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:18 pm

riggofan wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

Maybe Snyder could make him an unbelievable offer to come in as defensive coordinator? :)

Maybe Shanahan concurs with that. I highly doubt it. If he did it would relieve some stress.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:21 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I hope Mike and Bruce continue for another year …

If you're getting rid of Mike you might as well let Bruce go and bring in Bill and let him bring in the head coach and they can bring in their coaching staff

and there you go with making a bunch of changes that are not really needed

Bruce might be the best in the business as far as numbers and being a PR guy. Plus he knows a little something about GM. I wouldn't ever let him go.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:36 pm

I don't think you bring in Bill Polian and keep Bruce - I do think Bruce is a big help but I don't see him here with Bill Polian

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:52 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I don't think you bring in Bill Polian and keep Bruce - I do think Bruce is a big help but I don't see him here with Bill Polian

I understand. A real GM shouldn't have an issue. I can see it as a smite. I can also see it as back up. For example. You have taken on the Washington Redskins and things aren't going well... Bruce is the guy to smooth it over. Now you have to deal with contracts and turning the team over, Bruce is the man to deal with it. If you are insecure then I see Bruce being a problem and then I do not want him here. (If I was Owner) This is in a perfect world of course.

piggie

Postby oj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:12 pm

You fix things by making a big change and see what happens, bench RG3 for the rest of the season.
Molon Labe

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Why is Bill Polian's name getting bandied about? Guy is 70 years old, and retired. Is there anything out there that suggests he has any interest in coming back to the NFL, let alone back as a long term solution to "fix" the Washington Redskins?

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Why is Bill Polian's name getting bandied about? Guy is 70 years old, and retired. Is there anything out there that suggests he has any interest in coming back to the NFL, let alone back as a long term solution to "fix" the Washington Redskins?

It is just a name that knows what he is doing. If younger what about Mark Murphy? Yes he has a job. If it comes down to a new regime and there is no choice but to start over, what name would you come up with? Being 70 would he (Polian) have retired this year if he wasn't let go 2 years ago?

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:Why is Bill Polian's name getting bandied about? Guy is 70 years old, and retired. Is there anything out there that suggests he has any interest in coming back to the NFL, let alone back as a long term solution to "fix" the Washington Redskins?

It is just a name that knows what he is doing.

Well he did know what he was doing, but he also did get fired in Indianapolis...you do have to wonder if a 70 year old is willing to put in the hours it would take. Why would he, when he seems to like being on TV a lot?

If younger what about Mark Murphy? Yes he has a job.

Murphy has a good job, and actually has no good feelings for the Redskins organization. Not only the recent comments about what he calls a racist nickname earlier this year, he also still apparently feels that the Redskins blackballed him from football because he was one of the driving forces behind the 82 strike. I mean it is kinda fishy that at 28 years old, the dude was just outright released in 83, despite making the pro bowl in 82 and 83, and having his best season ever in 83...and that no one picked him up...

If it comes down to a new regime and there is no choice but to start over, what name would you come up with?

Good question. I don't honestly know. If they're going to blow this thing up, I'd like to see a fresh approach rather than bringing in yet another retread.

Being 70 would he (Polian) have retired this year if he wasn't let go 2 years ago?

Well, he had kind of stepped away from the GM life for the Colts already. In 2009, Bill Polian gave the GM job of the Colts to his son, Chris. While other fanbases have kicked around the thoughts of Bill Polian as well, the comment conceit is that if Bill ever gets back to being a NFL exec, he'd want bring his son along with him (currently director of pro personnel for the Jaguars). After all, Bill brought Chris with him to the Panthers for his first job, then to Indy when he moved on to Indy. After having lived the Mike/Kyle shenanigans (Shanahanagans?), I don't think I want to go down that nepotism pathway again...

Hog

Postby VRIEL1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:41 pm

LOL, how do I "FIX" this?

Fire Shanahan and Co.

Keep Allen.

Throw a ton of money at Charley Casserly to rework his magic as GM.
Then:

HC: Jon Gruden
OC: Jay Gruden
DC: Lovie Smith (Tampa Two)

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:10 pm

VRIEL1 wrote:LOL, how do I "FIX" this?

Fire Shanahan and Co.

Keep Allen.

Throw a ton of money at Charley Casserly to rework his magic as GM.
Then:

HC: Jon Gruden
OC: Jay Gruden
DC: Lovie Smith (Tampa Two)

I don't think Gruden wants it... But if we had Jon and Lovie I wouldn't complain! I'd keep Kyle though.... This offense is effective when people do their job.
That said, I want to see one more year from shanny and co with an off-season and some coin to drop.. Not oppose to getting rid of Hasbeen for Lovie though! #dreamworld
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:48 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:

It is just a name that knows what he is doing.

Well he did know what he was doing, but he also did get fired in Indianapolis...you do have to wonder if a 70 year old is willing to put in the hours it would take. Why would he, when he seems to like being on TV a lot?

If younger what about Mark Murphy? Yes he has a job.

Murphy has a good job, and actually has no good feelings for the Redskins organization. Not only the recent comments about what he calls a racist nickname earlier this year, he also still apparently feels that the Redskins blackballed him from football because he was one of the driving forces behind the 82 strike. I mean it is kinda fishy that at 28 years old, the dude was just outright released in 83, despite making the pro bowl in 82 and 83, and having his best season ever in 83...and that no one picked him up...

If it comes down to a new regime and there is no choice but to start over, what name would you come up with?

Good question. I don't honestly know. If they're going to blow this thing up, I'd like to see a fresh approach rather than bringing in yet another retread.

Being 70 would he (Polian) have retired this year if he wasn't let go 2 years ago?

Well, he had kind of stepped away from the GM life for the Colts already. In 2009, Bill Polian gave the GM job of the Colts to his son, Chris. While other fanbases have kicked around the thoughts of Bill Polian as well, the comment conceit is that if Bill ever gets back to being a NFL exec, he'd want bring his son along with him (currently director of pro personnel for the Jaguars). After all, Bill brought Chris with him to the Panthers for his first job, then to Indy when he moved on to Indy. After having lived the Mike/Kyle shenanigans (Shanahanagans?), I don't think I want to go down that nepotism pathway again...

It is a good thing I am not in charge of HR. You have enlightened me about Polian. I hope Shanahan can get it together. If it does come down to cleaning house, I hope they hire someone that can actually manage a ball club and be in charge (GM). No more yes man. I think Shanahan would be much more effective if he was just coaching and helping straighten out one of the three - offense, defense and ST

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 am

Kilmer72 wrote: … I hope Shanahan can get it together…. I hope they hire someone that can actually manage a ball club and be in charge (GM). No more yes man.
I think Shanahan would be much more effective if he was just coaching and helping straighten out one of the three - offense, defense and ST

well … here's the thing - We have a very good GM who is NOT a 'yes man' in Bruce Allen

Mike has (we are told) been a lot more involved with the defense this season …

Bruce and Mike have done well in rebuilding this franchise … having a 'real' FO, redoing the scouting department and setting up this franchise to be managed properly

Mike has NOT done a great job IMO in his job as HC

I think that Bruce and Mike should get another year as I think they have earned that … but I hope Mike will not be coaching here for much longer …

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football