Collinsworth blames cap for Redskins' woes

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Collinsworth blames cap for Redskins' woes

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this, but Collinsworth is basically right on the mark. And I hadn't really thought about the fact that the penalty was laid on us immediately after we had made the trade for Robert. In retrospect it's a lot easier to see the way the impact built up like it did: "cap penalty" suggests a one-year problem but it really was a devastating hit two years in a row, and the timing couldn't have been worse given the trade we had just made.

Ayone who thinks this shouldn't be a part of the discussion regarding the state of the team is fooling themselves. As riggofan points out, that was the difference between Polumbus and a more competent upgrade. It's also been the difference between having starters at safety instead of rookies and backups.

Whether Allen/Shanahan are here next year or not, one thing I will always admire them for is the way they refused to mortgage our future in dealing with the cap hit. No shuffling contracts to make 2014 and 2015 more difficult; they took the full hit right now so that the team has a brighter long-term future. It certainly has had an impact on their job security, but it was the right thing to do, and this fan is grateful for it.

Me too, man. Excellent post. (Not that any of that has made this season less painful to watch.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I forgot to add: I was very impressed when Collinsworth had the guts to say on national television last night: "Of course, I still need someone to explain to me how you can be penalized for violating the salary cap in an uncapped year — that doesn't make any sense to me." As common-sense as the position is, that's still a bold statement for a color commentator to make. Especially with Mara/Goodell likely to hear about it.

Thought the same thing!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:35 pm

hanburgerheel wrote:Make sure you save (or concoct) an excuse for when this cap-lift miraculously doesn't make a difference when the same inept coaches and staff exist. Keep the imagination churning. Maybe Collinsworth will have the answer.

Yeah the coach with two super bowl rings is "inept". Tell me which of us has the wild imagination.

Hog

Postby hanburgerheel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:42 pm

riggofan wrote:
hanburgerheel wrote:Make sure you save (or concoct) an excuse for when this cap-lift miraculously doesn't make a difference when the same inept coaches and staff exist. Keep the imagination churning. Maybe Collinsworth will have the answer.

Yeah the coach with two super bowl rings is "inept". Tell me which of us has the wild imagination.

I'm not a Broncos fan. He might even be an Eagle Scout and won the Pinewood Derby as a Cub Scout. I see what I see as a coach of the Burgundy & Gold. I'm content to be patient and see this cap-lift reveal even more glaringly what a crap operation the Shanny & Son experiment is. You can keep him for another 10 years for all I care. His record speaks volumes and those numbers are not imaginary.

I will also give Collinsworth props for saying the glaring truth of "How do you get penalized in a year where there was no penalty?" It's not going to make any difference now, but it is a good question to ask publicly.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm

hanburgerheel wrote:
riggofan wrote:

I'm not a Broncos fan. He might even be an Eagle Scout and won the Pinewood Derby as a Cub Scout. I see what I see as a coach of the Burgundy & Gold. I'm content to be patient and see this cap-lift reveal even more glaringly what a crap operation the Shanny & Son experiment is. You can keep him for another 10 years for all I care. His record speaks volumes and those numbers are not imaginary.

I will also give Collinsworth props for saying the glaring truth of "How do you get penalized in a year where there was no penalty?" It's not going to make any difference now, but it is a good question to ask publicly.

It was a good question two years ago, man. Give the NFL credit though. They wrapped that thing up tight legally so that the Redskins had no recourse whatsoever, no matter how unfair and crazy it was.

Not sure if you saw my post about Shanahan earlier, but honestly I don't have a strong opinion about him to where I think he's the greatest coach ever or anything. I just think when frustrated fans are on here trying to tell us all that this guy who has coached football for 30 years, won two super bowls, and coached in the NFL for longer than some fans have been on this Earth is inept and doesn't know what he's doing, the argument loses all credibility.

Sorry, but like it or not, fans need to come to terms with the fact that there is more to the Redskins' troubles this year than "Shanahan sucks". I realize I'm just spitting in the wind here. Our answer to everything over the past fifteen+ years has been "fire the coach" or "start the back-up QB". No reason to expect anything different, I guess.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:05 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:No cap hit next year, and even if we gave up what turns out to be a high 1st rounder, that just means all of our other picks are high in their round too. And in 2015, we'll not only have all of our money, but all of our picks too.

Right on. I don't remember you being such an optimistic poster. I guess we've reached that throw in the towel portion of the season where we have to start looking on the bright side for next year. :) And yeah, it will suck to hand the Rams a top five pick, but there is a silver lining.

I wanted to add something here, because I've been defending Shanahan a lot lately. Truthfully I think I'm in the same boat as SkinsJock in that I don't have an especially strong opinion on him one way or the other. I'm just believe the smart thing to do would be to keep him one more year and maybe see if we can upgrade the def. coordinator. I'll be really curious to see what Snyder does at the end of this year. There is no question that five or ten years ago, Snyder would fire him, eat the $7m and start throwing money at the biggest name he could find.

I don't know. I just want to see patience and competence for a change instead of "let's make a big splash and excite the fan base"!

The problem is Burns needs to go and if Snyder says "you need to make a change at Def Coordinator if you want to make a contract extension", he may be stubborn about it. He has fired DC before but this had also lead to him getting fired in Denver.

Hog

Postby hanburgerheel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:19 pm

riggofan wrote:[quote="hanburgerheel"

Sorry, but like it or not, fans need to come to terms with the fact that there is more to the Redskins' troubles this year than "Shanahan sucks". I realize I'm just spitting in the wind here. Our answer to everything over the past fifteen+ years has been "fire the coach" or "start the back-up QB". No reason to expect anything different, I guess.

Fair enough. But, you can't fire the OWNER either. I mean, there are countless factors that must align, sure. But, I couldn't care less what a coach's past success with different teams amounts to. I've seen nothing except one 7-game stretch that impressed me ad he actually did as much wrong during that stretch as he did right. In fact, he did more to derail it than he did to keep it on-course in that period.

Hog

Postby (d)oink » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Bottom line, I feel like there should be a trophy for anyone who has to listen to Chris Collinsworth for 4 straight quarters.
What the....

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Collinsworthless did add that, because of what Mike had done and was doing, this franchise in his view, would be a big deal in 2015

It did sound like he's a big fan of Robert too
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:06 pm

(d)oink wrote:Bottom line, I feel like there should be a trophy for anyone who has to listen to Chris Collinsworth for 4 straight quarters.

ROTFALMAO
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:02 pm

I'm not a Chris Collinsworth fan either. You have to admit though when he said something like They need to explain to me how spending money in an uncapped year.....

At least he has enough nads to confront it nationally.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:I'm not a Chris Collinsworth fan either. You have to admit though when he said something like They need to explain to me how spending money in an uncapped year.....

At least he has enough nads to confront it nationally.

certainly got my attention - good for him
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

piglet

Postby Bee_Skins_Fan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Collinsworth is spot on- any coach would struggle with the type of cap hit the 'Skins had to endure. I also thought that was pretty bold to even mention that topic much less express how ludicrous it was given the contracts were "approved by the league".

It sure doesn't make it any easier to watch team after team roll over our beloved team, but it does help to explain it.

Hail!

piggie

Postby oj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:22 pm

I am not a Collingsworth fan - loved him as a player, but he is a whuss as commentator (a very smart whuss) - but when he made comments about the salary cap i was astonished! For him that was very bold, when he went ballastic about the 1st down call reverting to 4th down he made a strong statement. very strong.
Molon Labe

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:00 pm

It was nice to get some love from the announcer for a change.. usually they have their head so far up the other teams anus that they can't even see the blatant mistreat from the officials.
Winning cures all I'm afraid... Last night was just the icing on the cake of the crap we've been dealt nearly every game w the zebras this year... Hopefully w some spending cash and an off-season we can become a fierce competitor... Winning will hopefully change the crap officiating and maybe rgiii becomes the poster boy for the NFL instead of the scape goat for empty minded journalists and fans that don't enough about the game
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football