Don't Fire Shanahan

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**ch44

Re: Don't Fire Shanahan

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:23 pm

ASHBURN, Va. -- London Fletcher wasn’t asked about Mike Shanahan during his “99-percent-sure-I’m-reitring” news conference Wednesday. But Fletcher made sure to find a way to let everyone know his opinion.

Fletcher was asked about the season being tough, and is his work really done in Washington. Fletcher turned that around to the topic of whether Shanahan should return. Yes, players typically stand up for the coach publicly. Most of them anyway, because the guy who dresses next to Fletcher, quarterback Robert Griffin III, hasn’t done so. After the past two weeks, no one can blame him.

Shanahan

Fletcher
Still, it was interesting to hear what Fletcher had to say unprompted. It meshes with what others have said, privately and publicly.

Here is Fletcher’s take:

“The way I look at it, I think coach Shanahan is a great coach. Any player who played for him, probably 95 percent of the guys who played for him, would love playing for him. I think he’s definitely the right guy. I think [owner Dan] Snyder would be wise to let him see this thing through. Obviously there has to be changes made. There is change that needs to take place, but I don’t think it needs to be with the head coach. He’s the right guy for it. Coach Shanahan will have to have a conversation with Mr. Snyder at the end of the year. Let them get some time, maybe a week or two, let the season get past them and let them get into a room and say, how do we move forward and get this thing right.

“One thing that hasn’t happened since Mr. Snyder owned this team, there hasn’t been any stability at the head coach position. Sometimes when I study the winning franchises, the perennial winning franchises -- I’m talking New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, even Baltimore -- they have a sense of stability. They have a plan and they stick with it. With this being said, coach Shanahan is the right guy. You can’t stay status quo in every area of the team. They’ll have money to spend in the offseason. There will be some personnel changes.”

And here’s the kicker:

“It will be hard to do it with just one year left on his deal. You’re looking at the coach as a one-year deal, most people will be like 'is he a lame duck?' You should extend him, as crazy as that may sound, to continue to let him build this thing the right way.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-reds ... d-shanahan
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:Shanhan has said he wants to return next season. Stay tuned... Same station and same bat channel.

The main reason for the confusion is that there have been a lot of 'reports' and 'opinions' that are just based on mis information and because the record STINKS

most of this BS is 'created and added to' by a very aggressive media who do not like Mike or Dan Snyder

The important fact is that Robert is the starting QB - providing he has a good relationship with and trusts Mike and Mike wants to work with Robert …

why would Mike NOT finish out his contract

there have to be a number of coaching changes here and I'm not sure that Mike wants to stay but …
if he and Robert want to work together I don't think that Dan is going to let Mike leave - no matter what the press or the fans think

this was posted earlier …
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:37 am

Wonder what "changes" Fletcher was referring to in his presser.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:16 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:Wonder what "changes" Fletcher was referring to in his presser.

seems fairly clear that Fletcher thinks Mike needs to stay and 'change' things

We'll see change in players and coaches - with that comes some changes in how things get done on the field and hopefully in the win column
Hail to the Redskins

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Chris Russell is hinting at a coaching change is almost a guarantee.
Miss you 21

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Throwing out John Gruden and Bill Cohwer as replacements

He runs a 3-4 as well has a very good track record with young mobile QB's.
Miss you 21

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 pm

I would be surprised if Dan made a change at HC but this season was very disappointing and the HC has to take responsibility

we do have a future great QB & some good young players to build around - we are in better shape & closer to being competitive than a 3 win record would indicate
Hail to the Redskins

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football