Keith Burns Special Teams coach

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
SCskinsFan

Re: Keith Burns Special Teams coach

Postby SCSkinsFan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 am

Funny isn't it how people complained about Danny Smith? Looks like he was the smart one now and got out of Dodge City when he could.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:30 am

riggofan wrote:I know jack about Keith Burns and I could care less if he is fired or not, but seriously? How about putting some blame on these idiots on the field who clearly have given up and can't be bothered to make a tackle.

People watching this debacle right now popping up here to complain about the coaches... I mean WTF????

It's season 4. Shanahan brought these players in. That excuse was valid in year one and two.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 am

Smithian wrote:
riggofan wrote:I know jack about Keith Burns and I could care less if he is fired or not, but seriously? How about putting some blame on these idiots on the field who clearly have given up and can't be bothered to make a tackle.

People watching this debacle right now popping up here to complain about the coaches... I mean WTF????

It's season 4. Shanahan brought these players in. That excuse was valid in year one and two.

What does that have to do with Keith Burns?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:49 am

Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:My instinct tells me that the ST players ought to go. Ever since ("Crazy") George Allen emphasized special teams, around 1971, the NFL has studied ST play. Should be no secrets, no surprises. But "doing"? That's on the players.

Maybe this is a result of the cap reduction? What did Colingsworth say? $36 amounts to six good players?
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, bro... but an effort this pathetic requires scheming... This is on Burns...

Seriously? You're going to blame that ST nightmare yesterday completely on Keith Burns? I know you are much smarter than that. Again, I'm not defending Burns, but seriously I would like to hear from fans what Keith Burns specifically should have done differently yesterday.

Here's what Niles Paul had to say about it yesterday:

"I’m not a starter on this team. My role is largely on special teams. So I take pride in what I do on special teams. People complain and say it’s a coaching thing. But it’s not a coaching thing, it’s an effort thing. It’s for each player, each individual, 11 people out there to have to want to make a tackle, to have to want to make a play, to have to want to make a block. And that’s not happening right now. And that’s why we are terrible on special teams.

You just have to think about what he's saying. If you have even two players on special teams who don't want to be out there in the snow, who have quit on you, how many players do you think it takes before a guy like Dexter McCluster is going to have a career day.

I totally get why the ST coach has to go. But this housecleaning is going to involve a bunch of players too.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:55 am

riggofan wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:My instinct tells me that the ST players ought to go. Ever since ("Crazy") George Allen emphasized special teams, around 1971, the NFL has studied ST play. Should be no secrets, no surprises. But "doing"? That's on the players.

Maybe this is a result of the cap reduction? What did Colingsworth say? $36 amounts to six good players?
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, bro... but an effort this pathetic requires scheming... This is on Burns...

Seriously? You're going to blame that ST nightmare yesterday completely on Keith Burns? I know you are much smarter than that. Again, I'm not defending Burns, but seriously I would like to hear from fans what Keith Burns specifically should have done differently yesterday.

Here's what Niles Paul had to say about it yesterday:

"I’m not a starter on this team. My role is largely on special teams. So I take pride in what I do on special teams. People complain and say it’s a coaching thing. But it’s not a coaching thing, it’s an effort thing. It’s for each player, each individual, 11 people out there to have to want to make a tackle, to have to want to make a play, to have to want to make a block. And that’s not happening right now. And that’s why we are terrible on special teams.

You just have to think about what he's saying. If you have even two players on special teams who don't want to be out there in the snow, who have quit on you, how many players do you think it takes before a guy like Dexter McCluster is going to have a career day.

I totally get why the ST coach has to go. But this housecleaning is going to involve a bunch of players too.

I don't have the old links but Paul also said earlier in the season that the scheme wasn't something the players were buying into. It was different from Danny Smith. Danny at least had good coverage teams.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:I don't have the old links but Paul also said earlier in the season that the scheme wasn't something the players were buying into. It was different from Danny Smith. Danny at least had good coverage teams.

I mean, there may be some truth about the coverage scheme whatever that is, but its still what they've been using all season long. Yesterday was RIDICULOUS. Record breaking. 300 yards and two scores. There is just no way that was all because Keith Burns didn't give them a good enough plan to tackle the return guys.

Those guys were out in the miserable snow, eliminated from the playoffs with three or four games left on the season, and they played like it.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:10 pm

riggofan wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:I don't have the old links but Paul also said earlier in the season that the scheme wasn't something the players were buying into. It was different from Danny Smith. Danny at least had good coverage teams.

I mean, there may be some truth about the coverage scheme whatever that is, but its still what they've been using all season long. Yesterday was RIDICULOUS. Record breaking. 300 yards and two scores. There is just no way that was all because Keith Burns didn't give them a good enough plan to tackle the return guys.

Those guys were out in the miserable snow, eliminated from the playoffs with three or four games left on the season, and they played like it.

I agree that if everyone executes Keith Burns looks good. What ever his scheme is I am sure it theoretically works. He must know something. If they don't buy into it and they hear the news yesterday moring before the game, they will not give the effort. ST was starting to improve but IMO if he is gone it wont be too soon.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Mike said today that the 'plan' going in was to kick punts out of bounds or high enough that they could properly cover the kick

he also indicated that kick offs were mean't to be higher to allow better coverage
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:01 pm

So....it isn't Mike's fault (it's never his fault, didn't you know?), how about you hired Keith Burns and he didn't get them ready? I know Mike, it's execution by the players.

My issue is...does Mike ever hold a coach accountable? Ever?

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Forgot to say -- Riggofan -- you have to hold Burns accountable, NOT just for that game, but the whole year. We have the worst Special teams in the league, not even close! I remember a few blocked punts, blocked FGs, missed FGs, returns for TDs, nothing on our punt or kick off returns and my favorite, a snapped punt that rolled to the punter...just before it got blocked. Who else do we blame? Do we cut all 15 guys who make up our Special Teams? If so, cut the guilty parties and find others out there...

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:14 pm

fredp45 wrote:Forgot to say -- Riggofan -- you have to hold Burns accountable, NOT just for that game, but the whole year. We have the worst Special teams in the league, not even close! I remember a few blocked punts, blocked FGs, missed FGs, returns for TDs, nothing on our punt or kick off returns and my favorite, a snapped punt that rolled to the punter...just before it got blocked. Who else do we blame? Do we cut all 15 guys who make up our Special Teams? If so, cut the guilty parties and find others out there...

I don't disagree with you fredp45. The cap penalty was a big factor, but either way its been a horrible year for special teams. I won't have any issue with getting rid of Keith Burns. I was commenting mostly though on that spectacle Sunday. Just seemed kind of ridiculous to overlook the players' role in that and immediately have people on here shouting "BURNS!!!!"

I will say though, out of the 15 guys who are currently playing on our special teams this year, I'll bet you half of them won't be there next year.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Mike is the HC and while Ken Burns has not done well the fact is the final responsibility for everything falls in Mike's lap

No HC discusses or 'puts down' his coaches at a press conference

I think that Burns is done here but that is all part of the process - It's not all Burns fault AND it's not all Mike's fault

EVERYBODY here did not do their jobs well this season - EVERYONE

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Burns for HC!
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:38 pm

Deadskins wrote:Burns for HC!

OMG :roll:

thanks for that

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football