The coach the team needs (who might be too old)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Re: The coach the team needs (who might be too old)

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:20 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:We do not need a new coach.

We need a new owner.

It does not matter who comes in with an owner who cannot stop interfering negatively with the team.

Why would Joe stop doing what is important to him with grandchildren in exchange for a failure with Snyder? Please just say no, Joe.

In what way has Dan Snyder interfered negatively with the team in the last four years?

Shanahan is tight-lipped on this stuff (except perhaps on the chance that he's the source of the ESPN leak), so it's hard to say. But the most recent leak made it sound like Shanahan experiences interference on a regular basis and is now fed up with it — and was last year to the point where he almost quit.

In addition, WaPo has claimed that Snyder was a major influence behind both the McNabb trade and the trade that landed us RGIII.

But again, hard to say, because we don't know the full story. I'm seeing enough symptoms that I'm inclined to believe it.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:23 am

Snyder CANNOT be trusted - Shanahan and Bruce have changed the culture here but it seems clear that the play on the field is not getting better with Mike in charge

I just hope that Snyder stays out of the way - Snyder needs to MAKE it VERY clear that Bruce Allen as GM will be managing things with Snyder's full support
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:24 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:

We need a new owner.

It does not matter who comes in with an owner who cannot stop interfering negatively with the team.

Why would Joe stop doing what is important to him with grandchildren in exchange for a failure with Snyder? Please just say no, Joe.

In what way has Dan Snyder interfered negatively with the team in the last four years?

Shanahan is tight-lipped on this stuff (except perhaps on the chance that he's the source of the ESPN leak), so it's hard to say. But the most recent leak made it sound like Shanahan experiences interference on a regular basis and is now fed up with it — and was last year to the point where he almost quit.

In addition, WaPo has claimed that Snyder was a major influence behind both the McNabb trade and the trade that landed us RGIII.

But again, hard to say, because we don't know the full story. I'm seeing enough symptoms that I'm inclined to believe it.
Crazy how all of a sudden when Shanahan's job security is on the line that all these leaks come out painting Snyder and RGIII as the problem while ole honest Mike just toils away for an honest day's pay.

If Shanahan really wanted out after the 7 game win streak last season because his QB was more popular than his guys Rex and Beck then hit the road amigo
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 am

No matter whos fault it is, Shanahan is letting this team implode.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:29 am

SkinsJock wrote:Snyder CANNOT be trusted - Shanahan and Bruce have changed the culture here but it seems clear that the play on the field is not getting better with Mike in charge

I just hope that Snyder stays out of the way - Snyder needs to MAKE it VERY clear that Bruce Allen as GM will be managing things with Snyder's full support
Yesterday's result and many blown leads really don't lend credence to that statement that many of us, including myself, have been fond of saying.

And Snyder has given Shanahan his choice of coordinators, an indoor facility, new chef, new weight room, two quarterbacks... Where were all these leaks about ole honest Mike having these QBs forced on him back when they happened?

Boz said it best, Shanahan and Snyder are playing cobra and mongoose. Shanahan is doing his best to go after Snyder right now with all these leaks but when Snyder goes for the kill it will be brutal and fast (if only when I was fired I had Shanny's golden parachute).
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:30 am

Kilmer72 wrote:No matter whos fault it is, Shanahan is letting this team implode.

Like I said earlier, he was damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. I believe the reports we were hearing about the locker room not particularly enjoying the attention Griffin was getting caused a rift in the locker room. And if the reports about Snyder constantly fawning over him are true, that would be an even greater cause for concern. What's Shanahan to do?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 am

Joe Gibbs, Marty, Cowher... even Jon Gruden. Personally these are the last guys I would want to hire. I really think we need a hungry guy who hasn't done it all yet, but still has the fire and clout to stand up to Snyder. I've seen some people mention Lovie Smith, and that's probably more in line with the type of coach I'd like to see.

I seriously hope Art Briles isn't on the table. There couldn't be a worse hire in terms of how people and the team will perceive RGIII.

Also, I gotta say I'm just not feeling the Snyder outrage this time around. Its probably not the best situation if he's really going into the locker room, and he doesn't need to be hanging out with RGIII. But I just don't get the sense that he's been the know-it-all meddler that he was a few years ago. I don't love him, but I just don't think he's really to blame for this dismal season.

For whatever reason, Shanahan wants out of here. Personally I think he and Kyle have been worn down by the noise in DC. Coach of the Redskins is a brutal job if you're not winning. Even in a decent season like last year, they both were completely beat up by fans and the media. Its just a tough job no matter how much money Snyder is paying you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:34 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:No matter whos fault it is, Shanahan is letting this team implode.

Like I said earlier, he was damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. I believe the reports we were hearing about the locker room not particularly enjoying the attention Griffin was getting caused a rift in the locker room. And if the reports about Snyder constantly fawning over him are true, that would be an even greater cause for concern. What's Shanahan to do?

Go find a QB like Grossman or Beck who doesn't get the attention? I don't want a coach who gets his feelings hurt after a couple rookie QBs drag his team back from the brink after he gives up on them in a press conference. Where were these leaks when Shanahan was riding high with the read option?

If you think Robert Kraft, Pat Bowlen, Steve Bisciotti, Tom Benson, etc treat their QBs the same they treat the other 52 players then you're crazy. Is what it is.

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:38 am

For those that want to blame it on Snyder just remember that he is not on the field playing. We have a coach that favors a game plan that features smaller, quick O Linemen to execute his stretch run concept. Great! It worked for one year with Alfred. How's it worked out in the other years? Other teams have figured out the schemes and now just blow up our midgets head up and know them 2-3 yards into the backfield and either stuff the run, or lay some heavy wood on our QB who is not quite as nimble as he was last year. 6 sacks again yesterday? Awful!

And let's not forget our great D Coordinator who was given a top 10 (statistically anyway) Defense, decided to, or was told to, convert it to a 3-4 Defense, and now is clearly, and has been since the conversion, one of the worst defenses in the NFL. It's not like we don't have some good athletes on the team. Obviosuly he isn't capable of coaching the 3-4 D, and he needs to go.

And finally, there is definitely nothing special about our Special Teams unit. Yesterday's game was just more evidence of a lack of concept, preparation, effort and coaching. Blaming on the salary cap is just an excuse. Burns needs to go too.

In other words, get rid of them. Get rid of them all.

But, now comes the biggest problem. Snyder is the owner and he is not going to sell the team and go away. So, who comes in now to solve he problem. A former NFL coach? A retread? A college coach? Who would want to become part of the mess this team is in now? The problems are now so rampant in all parts of the organization that it will take a miracle to restore it to any state of respectability.

Miracle? Well it is the Chirstmas Season isn't it? Write your letters to Santa Claus and maybe they will come true.
Last edited by SCSkinsFan on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:

Its too late now but a coach that wants to lead, would have denied the reports. IMO Shanahan is being a coward.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:22 am

I'm fairly sure that Mike is leaving or he will be fired … I was hoping that he'd be here for another season but now I think he'll be gone within the next month
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:24 am

SkinsJock wrote:I'm fairly sure that Mike is leaving or he will be fired … I was hoping that he'd be here for another season but now I think he'll be gone within the next month

I have to agree. The writing is pretty much on the wall.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:25 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:

We need a new owner.

We really don't know the truth, but SOME are willing to pile the entire blame on Snyder without knowing facts. I do understand that Snyder has probably used up all credit with a lot of fans, and doesn't deserve any degree of blind faith. However:

I have also read reports that Snyder has in fact had almost no contact with RG3 during the season. Yes, he accompanied him to his appointment with the surgeon to repair that knee. Yes, he enjoyed Thanksgiving with the Griffins. But there has been little contact apart from that, and there is certainly no "open door" for RG3 to walk into Snyder's office. What's true? I don't know.

I also don't know what the correct level of interaction between owner and star quarterback is? Does Robert Kraft never meet with Tom Brady? Did Jack Kent Cooke never talk to Joe Theismann? If Peyton Manning or Drew Brees have no interaction with their respective owners, that would surprise me. It's certainly true that Snyder's relationships with the like of Clinton Portis and Deon Sanders have been unhelpful, but I just don't know whether that behaviour has continued or ceased. And neither do those who are willing to slam Snyder without facts. I understand the tendency to believe there MAY be a problem, but not the rush to castigate Snyder straight away.

I've also read reports that link only Shanahan with the deal to sign McNabb, although Allen was hesitant about the deal. No mention of Snyder having ANY involvement whatsoever.

In other words, I don't know what to believe. Except the fact that the team stinks. And there have been some very strange leaks coming from Redskins Park in recent weeks, which have the smell of political positioning about them. The facts will emerge in due course. Maybe.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:28 am

There has to be more to it than just Snyder and Griffin eating Thanksgiving dinner together.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:37 am

This is why Joe Gibbs should be in the Hall twice. Anyone that can go to the playoffs twice in 4 years working for Snyder and Vinny Cerrato as GM deserves the Hall twice. Is this possible?

You see there was a ball coach for you. He didn't cave during the season. He fixed problems in the locker room.

Shanahan on the other hand, had everything he needed for tools given to him. He failed and is trying to help destroy what he did build. I lost any respect
I had for him.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football